[HVC] Transition Game

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Oct 28, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Transition Game
    by Dharma Scribe

Excerpt:
    Ben’s departure and our collective and varied and, especially, prolonged responses tell me something about us – I mean us as human beings — and specifically about our habitual responses when we lose something essential (or that we believe is essential) and are launched, equipped it seems with little more than an acute sense of our own powerlessness, into a journey of transition: bereft of a past whose reliable goodness grows even as the thing itself recedes from present reality into the mist of nostalgia and facing a future whose uncertainty – always a fact of the future of course – looms correspondingly larger, more radical, and more absolute. It’s obvious, after all, that nothing we say is going to undo Ben’s departure nor ensure the success of this year’s team. No matter how much we might rail against the various culprits – Flip, Joe, the new NBA, or even Ben himself – Ben now plays not for the Pistons but against them. And no matter how much we may rail against Ben’s real or supposed weaknesses as a player – his offensive skills, or his free throw shooting, or his age – we simply do not and cannot know how the Pistons will play without him. The fact of the matter is that a version of this was true in every offseason. But like the straw that breaks the camel’s back, converting an increase in quantity into a change in quality, the more intense change that is the loss of Ben Wallace has shown a spotlight on these facts, painfully illuminating how much we have invested in something that we do not control at all.

Read the full article at Transition Game » Human Victory Cigar

2. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Good article! I think we also have to remember that it's not just the individual skills of each player, but how the group functions as a team. I am very optimistic about this year! Remember our team is made up of players that were not wanted other places and we came together as a team and won the title! I say we can do it again.