I think we could make it to the ECF next season..

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Apr 18, 2013.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Is what it is.
  2. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Well said.
    BillLaimbeer and blueadams like this.
  3. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Can the guy who kept talking about Millsap get in here please.

[​IMG]
  4. blueadams

Honestly, what would be wrong with this team..

C: A. Drummond, *Maxiel/FA, Kravtsov
    PF: G. Monroe, Jerebko
    SF: A. Iguodala, Middleton
    SG: K. Martin, Singler
    PG: C. McCollum, Knight, *Bynum/FA

HC: McMillan or Obradovic

Post-Defense/Rebounding: Monroe might not be athletic enough to guard stretch-fours, but thus far, it's more or less "worked" with those two out on the court together.. with Drummond often times guarding the opposition's more athletic big. Drummond, at 19, is already among the NBA's best post-defenders and rebounders. Monroe, at 22, is more than solid in those regards. I like what Kravtsov and Jerebko bring off the bench as well, and Maxiel or someone else, there'd be another big in there as well. I'd certainly rate this as a plus.

Perimeter Defense: Iguodala's arguably the best perimeter defender in the entire league next to LeBron (and a great rebounder for the position as well). He can match the opposition's top perimeter scorer, and few teams have two. Martin's a terrible defender, but he's still a long, athletic six-seven SG, and we'll be able to match him up against the opponent's poorest perimeter scorer. Singler's a solid perimeter defender when we need him as well. McCollum nor Knight are going to be polished perimeter defenders, but both are athletic, long and six-three plus. Bynum or another FA, someone else will be there too. Middleton's not the worst defender in the league. I certainly wouldn't rate this as a problem.

Post-Offense: Monroe's one of the better low-post scorers in the game. Drummond's not there yet, but he's great rolling to the basket and getting put-backs.. he takes much-needed attention away from Monroe. Monroe handling the ball in the high-post, making great passes down low to Drummond, perhaps knocking down some mid-range shots, and perhaps driving to the hole from time to time. Kravtsov and Jerebko are more or less effort bigs. Maxiel or another FA is another. I'd certainly rate this as a plus.

Perimeter Offense. Iguodala's a great slasher (also great on the fast break.. something we can build around with Drummond and co.). He's also a great passer. Not the worst outside shooter. Martin's one of the best outside shooters and pure scorers in the game from the perimeter. McCollum, I love, as a do-it-all scoring and play-making point guard. Knight I like as a Jason Terry-type off the bench. Singler can do some things. Middleton can do some things. Bynum or another FA is someone else. I'd certainly rate this as a plus.

I love the makeup of this team. Gonna have to give Iguodala and Martin more than they deserve, but so what!?
    Slippy likes this.
  5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

good explanation. I'm not sold on mini K-mart but iggy is probably the best wing we have a shot at. I think he'll be an albatross at the end of his contract but at this point, can the franchise be conservative? If he can ball for the next 2 years then be simply 'better than most' the next 2, it may be worth it.
  6. blueadams

Gores wants to make the playoffs now. He's made that clear. He's ready to spend whatever it takes.
  7. blueadams

I guess this wouldn't be terrible either..

C: A. Drummond(19).....*J. Maxiel(30)/FA*, S. Kravtsov(25)
    PF: G. Monroe(22).....J. Jerebko(26)
    SF: S. Muhammad(20).....K. Martin(30)/FA*, K. Middleton(21)
    SG: A. Iguodala(29).....K. Singler(24)
    PG: B. Knight(21).....*J. Calderon(31)/FA*

Let me see if this'd work cap-space wise. 35.2m/58.0m, 22.8m in cap space. Subtract 8.6m (Villanueva), 31.4m in cap space. Subtract 4.0m (Stuckey), 35.4m in cap space.

Add (about) 2.4m (Muhammad), 33.0m in cap space. Add (about - max) 16.4m (Iguodala), 16.6m in cap space.

Idk about Ke. Martin, Calderon and Maxiel. But that'd be enough to compliment that starting lineup with a spread-the-court shooting backup point guard and wing, and a qualit
    y 3rd big man.
  8. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I would be very careful adding veterans after what happened with Gordon and CV.

Martin has not had much impact when I watch him at OKC. Iggy is very over-rated. Mayo just another point guard who wants a high volume of shots.

I would rather play our rookies than go after guys who make the team maybe marginally better.

I think the organization is looking to find a gem from a team that must dump salary with the new rules kicking in.

We need patience. We have a solid rookie core that will get good plus the draft pick. Just watched Memphis vs. the Clippers. This current Piston roster will be better than Memphis in a few years.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I like Iggy's style.
  10. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The team does need veterans as the core is very young. But I am not even sure the organization knows just what pieces need to be added. We need to see what Drummond and Monroe can do together for awhile. This should be a break out year for Monroe.

The toughest guy to gauge is Knight. I think the Pistons should draft a point guard if that is the best guy available as it is too risky to rely only on Knight. He could take two to three years or maybe not at all. Too long to wait?

I would like to see more of Middleton. JJ is finally hitting shots. He still is not skilled around the hoop and he gets there a lot. He absolutely needs to be a shooter to find a role.

My worse fear is to get marginal veterans who fill up the cap space. I was fooled by Gordon's series vs. Boston. But in bringing Gordon and CV aboard, didn't anyone watch extensive tape on these guys? They are paid to do this. We fans could see very quickly that these guys couldn't play defense. I am not convinced that CV is a that good of a shooter.

By the way, getting the 7th slot on that coin flip could prove very important. We are not talking about 15th picks like Stuckey and Daye. The Pistons can add another serious piece. The Pistons will win very soon. These high draft choices have been good.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We should wait and see who gets hot in the playoffs before we decide who to pursue in free agency.
    BallDon'tLie, blueadams and S.J. like this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Ok.

Kevin Martin is not who you want to pursue in free agency. He is guaranteed to get injured. At best he plays the 6th man role. But you have to pay him a lot of money. This is a terrible move. If you want a 3pt machine, JR Smith is out there, Kyle Korver is out there. Both are better options. They both play better defense.

Andre Iguodola no longer commands a max contract. And by the way, your maths is off -> its 30% of the cap which is closer to $17.5 million a year for 4 years. I will eat cold creamed corn before I sign off on that contract for a perimeter defender and transition player at $17.5 million. Tony Allen is arguably the best perimeter defender in the league not named Lebron and gets paid $3.3 million a year. Thabo Sefolosha is also an incredible perimeter defender. He gets paid $3.6. Mike Conley? $7.5 million. Luc Mbah a Moute aka Lebron Stopper? $4.7 million. To pay Andre Iguodola over $17m a year for his perimeter defense and pretty good transition offense? A crime. We should chase after Andrei Kirilenko. That man is all Detroit.
  13. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Good one!
    coynejeremy likes this.
  14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

At age 26, this would be good, but of course, it is not.
  15. pass99

16. pass99

It would be good to pencil-in-the-date: June 30, 2013.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Great post. I'm not signing anyone for 5 years that isn't big time if I'm the Pistons. That is the road to ruin.

It would be ridiculous if the Pistons just had the year they had and they're still not certain how Drummond, Monroe and Knight will play together. Frank deserves to be held in a stockade where the 200-300 folks who went to the Palace can kick him in the arse.

If the Pistons can get scoring from their point then they can be successful filling the 2 and 3 spots with low $$ shooters and athaletes.

Was it just me or did Knight seem to improve/look more natural playing basketball the last handful of games?
  18. MARK MADSEN!

MARK MADSEN! First Round Draft Pick

You rang?

Really, I am open to most of the UFAs in the West, lol. Jarrett Jack is going to add a couple million dollars per year if he keeps playing like this, which is unfortunate for us. Him, Millsap, and guys like Brewer are quintessential vets that can have measurable impact on a team despite not having a winner's reputation
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  19. blueadams

I think you all need to learn that there are no perfect answers. Not in this FA market. Not for this city. Gotta take the best we can get.