I want Bill Laimbeer as Piston's coach

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by hlbimage, Jun 7, 2007.

1. hlbimage

hlbimage First Round Draft Pick

Let's face it, Flip Saunders isn't going to make it for the long run this coming season if the rumour is true that he is indeed returning. If he's out, the only best candidate for the head coach position is no one other than Bill Laimbeer. He turned the Shock around as a franchise so why can't he do the same thing to his old team the PIston? Plus the WNBA doesn't start until May so he can coaches both basketball team. The Finals overlaps the WNBA season just for a month or two but something can be worked out there.
  2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Coaching both teams isn't really an option. Too much work. Anyway, welcome to the club, hlbimage. There are lots of us on this forum who want BL to become the coach. I think it would be damn interesting with the sound bites and all. He might actually challenge the manhood of these overpampered millionaires. And the guy emphasizes defense and rebounding. With Flip, I never see this team getting over the hump. He's a nice guy and that's the problem. Pistons need some fire.
  3. max

max All-Star

I would love to see that. Especially if Mahorn is an assistant.

It would just be fun.
  4. hlbimage

Thanks friend, I just found this awsome forum today. I hope someone from the Piston organization get on this because no way the Piston will get to the Final with Flipper as coach.
  5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Welcome aboard, hlbimage. Actually, it was a good move to start a separate thread because the Laimbeer longings have reared their head in several threads. You're already way ahead of the game. :)
  6. hlbimage

I just want my Piston team back. I am clearly F^^^ing mad that the team didn't make it to the Finals.

I'm boycotting watching the Finals this year because I don't like either team. The Spelling Bee Competition is on opposite the NBA Finals on ESPN tonight at 9:15pm. That is more food for the brain than the NBA Finals this year.
  7. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah....I'm going to watch the Finals and tape the spelling Bee.

I'm in the minority on Bill Laimbeer for coach....I think folks want him because he is a Pistons hero....not because of his coaching acumen. Why not Michael Cooper for a coach?
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm beginning to warm up to Laimbeer as a coach.

Even if he isn't successful, I have no doubt it will be entertaining. Certainly more entertaining than a guy who talks about the offense every time someone asks him about the defense.
  9. linwood

linwood All-Star

I've been down with the idea of Laimbeer and Mahorn for awhile now. I think the main job of a head coach at this level is to motivate the players. I have no doubt that those two guys can motivate our squad.

As far as the entertainment value, I don't think anyone has mentioned the need for a replacement Hallway Coach. When does Scott Pollard retire?
  10. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I always loved Don Zierdan as a hallway coach. That man was dynamic.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If the Shock repeat this fall, then I think it is a no brainer to bring Laimbeer in as an assistant coach for the Pistons....if you think Flip twitching was a bit much the first couple of years, wait to until he has Laimbeer breathing down his neck second guessing his moves:stirthepot:
    If anything he can get in those players arses when they are slacking off.
  12. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

The Alan Trammell experiment made me pause when Bill's name was mentioned - the whole popular former player thing, but his experience managing games with the WNBA has helped. He seems to have "it" when it comes to coaching.

I still don't get why Joe didn't look at Laimbeer with one of the assistant coaching positions with the Pistons? Did Joe want to avoid having an heir apparent?

Plus, Joe could probably get Laim on the cheap - and given all of the former coaches still getting paid, that might help.
  13. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

If Laimbeer was responsible for the talent coming to the Shock, then he's our man. Bring him in as an assistant, and in 20 years, promote to head coach.
  14. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm down with Bill as our coach. With his assistants Rick Mahorn, Dennis Rodman and Hannibal Lector.
  15. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ok, I was joking with the assistants, but I'd seriously be ok with Bill as our head coach. I'd probably prefer to see him as an assistant for a year or 2 first, but if that's what it takes to get rid of Flip, let's Git-R-Done!

Of course, I also don't think it'll ever happen. I'll bet he's the coach of the Knicks long before he's a coach for the Pistons.
  16. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I have made feelings known on the subject of Lambieer as Pistons head coach. I love what Lambieer did for the Pistons orginization, and the zeal he has towards the game.

IMO, I just think he should get his feet wet as an assitant first, then get a head coaching job. Of course, it all depends on what players and team he is called upon to coach.

I believe he will get his chance to coach and I hope he is successful. Hopefully, it will be with the Pistons!
  17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I am not going to get my hopes up because then I will become very disappointed...
  18. detteam

detteam All-Star

What...it's taken you two years? For me, Laimbeer was the ideal candidate to pick up where Larry left off...same defensive philosophy. He wouldn't have been a popular choice back then for all the purists
    demanding NBA coaching experience, but I think the transition from LB to Bill would have been far more seamless than LB to Flip.

I have no doubt that these last two years would have turned out at least as well, if not better, with Lambs instead of Flip...just because the players could respect him. IMO the discord we've seen over the last two years has been a direct result of the players feeling no respect for Flip.
  19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Damnit I am getting my hopes up.
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's taken me two years of Flip Saunders futility. Honestly, I don't even care if we win because it will all be worth it to see laimbeer yell at people.