I want Bill Laimbeer as Piston's coach

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by hlbimage, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

It'd be TOTALLY worth it to see Laimbeer get on these guys (CB in particular).
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

Ya got that right. Flip has never yelled at anyone...yet the players kinda yell at him to not be so passive. I want a coach with an ATTITUDE...something the players can respect.
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

At first I wanted him, then I wanted him even more, a little bit before now I really wanted him as the coach but I didn't get my hopes up, and now I really want him as the coach and I have my hopes high.:shout: Come on. I hope this happens. :fingerscr
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't know why, but I always thought Worm was a bigger flopper than Laimbs.
  6. hlbimage

hlbimage First Round Draft Pick

LOL, I love his quote "What happened was, instead of me falling back and trying to draw the foul, I just started hitting people."
  7. mikhail1973

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see much of either of them play. I came to US in 92 and didn't get deeper into basketball until a few years later.
  8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

We're all kind of assuming Laimbs wants the job. Who knows? Maybe Dumars asked him back in 2005 when LB was falling in love with the Cavs/Knicks, Laimbs said, "No," and Dumars had to find an alternative: Enter Flip Saunders.
  9. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Two years ago I wanted one of only two coaches for this team, Bill Laimbeer or MIke Woodson. The time may have passed for Woodson with so much roster change. This squad needs a firm hand who has a true sense of how he wants the organization represented on and off of the court.
  10. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Joe: Hey Bill, you wanna coach the Pistons? Our guys play tough defense like back in our day, and we just went to the finals the last two seasons. Last year we crushed the Shaq-Kobe Lakers for the title, and we were just a few minutes short of repeating this year. Our center keeps grabbing DPOY awards and we have a bunch of future All-Stars who play hard and are great teammates.

Bill: No thanks, Joe. That doesn't sound like my kind of thing. You should look for somebody else.

Joe: Ok, Bill, I thought I should check with you first in case you were interested. I guess it's time to give that Flip guy a call.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The entire LB divorce was handled poorly. It's not unlike the Ben Wallace situation.

This is only rumour, but I have heard it mentioned that Flip was a candidate to replace LB as early as Feb 2005, which not only made LB a lame duck coach after his "I love NY" comments, but didn't respect the opportunity to interview guys like Nate McMillan et al.

Again, it's just rumour. But you gotta wonder about some of the decisions Joe has made since the title. They seem rushed or unprepared.

I hope he doesn't confirm or deny Flip as a coach until he has a long think, consults his advisors and develops a plan to either support Flip or replace him with an upgrade.
  12. hlbimage

hlbimage First Round Draft Pick

Yeah man, if the NBA ever do a show "Where are they now" Larry Brown would be at the top. When people asked LB now that he has won a championship. What are you going to do now? Most people would have answered "I'm going to Disney world". But instead LB said that he is going to the Knicks. Number one strategic mistake of his entire life then and probably still now.
  13. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

Joe shouldn't say a word publically until after the draft. Everyone should feel like they are up for review.
  14. ggazoo69

Yeah, sounds like a tough job to turn down but last time I checked, none of us knows Laimbeer personally.
  15. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

I agree that the decision to fire Larry was handled poorly and did seem rushed. But I also believe that the decision was dictated to Joe D. by Bill D. If there was a lack of professionalism in the way the decision was implemented and communicated to the world by Joe, Bill D. is mostly to blame for that. Joe can only do so much to cover for a somewhat erratic and petulant owner.

I do have some concern that Joe D.'s hands will be tied by Bill D as he tries to implement changes that need to be made to the team (beginning with the coach) in order to make it better.
  16. mikhail1973

Joe is not going to rush into saying anything, even if he knows what the expected outcome is. We should give it some time, maybe around draft something will come out.
  17. mikhail1973

I know this is not exactly related to this thread, but there are some not so good news about Laimbs' son.

Journal and Courier Online - Breaking News
  18. ggazoo69

I saw Big Bill today at the Connecticut-Detroit WNBA game here in CT. I was far away from the action or I woulda yelled: "Bill, please coach the Pistons!" Then, after the game, Swin Cash sat in the table behind where I was sitting for dinner. Oh, baby!