idling pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by copper, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

That's an interesting point hitaFT.

About Arenas. I do agree that a starting backcourt of Arenas-Gordon would be substantially better than Stuckey-Rip combination. And, he has the skills that we sorely lack on this team. You can make both the case for him and against him. However, one fact remains is that he's got a boat anchor of a contract. If we trade for that guy, we ain't pulling any other good trades for four years. We trade for Arenas, and your core becomes Arenas-Gordon-CV for the foreseeable future. That [STRIKE]big[/STRIKE]moderately large three can win a lot of regular season games but won't ever see the 2nd round of playoffs.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The thing that you're not realizing is that we just haven't hit shots this year. We just gotta turn up the intensity and start hitting the shots that we normally hit. Also, the other teams have been making a lot of shots. Once that dies down a bit, we'll be right where we want to be.

3. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Why do people still think Arenas is anything special anymore? He hasn't done diddly-poo in a couple of years now and is constantly batling injuries. Went to the Celtics/Wiz game the other week and Arenas looked like dog poo. He got majorly outshined by Nick Young. I didn't even notice him being on the court the entire game.

4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I disagree. Gilbert got game, before the gun incident last season he was averaging 23 & 7 while trying to get his game back, Gils stock is low right now and I believe Wash would entertain a Rip/Max for Arenas swap and we'd get an upgrade over Stuckey. This is one of those high risk / high reward moves, but what do we haver to lose??

5. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Arenas isn't anywhere close to a 22/7 player anymore (and he was never that kind of player on a good team).

At best, he puts up Stuckey type numbers now, only he's much older and has a terrible contract not worth touching.

6. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe this team is tanking. Hopefully they don't decide to start winning once theyre out of the playoff race

7. drmcgraw2000

drmcgraw2000 First Round Draft Pick

I know I have mentioned K Irving from Duke as a potential draft pick up (if we are lucky). For those of you who are not to familiar with him he had a heck of a game last night against the Spartans. He is the true PG we need, so I now (not) secretly hope the Pistons tank the rest of the season, so we can have our chance at him..

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yea, Irving was fun to watch last night, even though he was killing my Spartans. He can really fly out there, makes nice passes, and has some good range with his jump shot. He would definitely look good in a Piston uniform.

He is 4th on this mock draft board:

Kyrie Irving | NBADraft.net

The Pistons currently have the 6th worst record, but they are just one nice string of losses away from collecting the most ping pong balls.

Is it too early to be talking about tanking?

9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...no.

10. drmcgraw2000

Clearly we are not a top tier team (I don't even know if you are an average team yet), but I don't want to relive the Grant Hill era where we were good enough to make the playoffs, but not bad enough to draft players that could get us over the hump. I would much rather see us tank and get the pieces we need, so we can start growing into the championship team we can be proud of.

Is it me, or do the Pistons play with NO emotion at all?

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah he pretty much carved through the spartans defense, and will be a top pick if he maintains this level of play throughout the season.

12. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

No, it is not you, they play with absolutely no emotion at all. went to the Pistons at Orlando game. It was so bad, I didn't even post about it on line. Pathetic.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The problem is that PG's take a few years to ripen. We're better off going with the best avaiable small forward/ power forward tweener. Someone who can step right in (after the customary Piston waiting period of course) and deliver 5 and 2 off the bench. We had it right a couple years ago, but we just underestimated the seriousness of narcelepsy.

14. drmcgraw2000

We are many years away from being contenders it doesn't matter. Plus, a top notch PG will help us turn around more than any other position. BTW you are kidding about drafting a 3 or 4, right? Our whole team is made up of 2, 3 and 4s. We don't have a true PG or center on the team (sans BW)

15. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Pretty sure that was sarcasm.

16. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

This season has been one of the hardest seasons I've ever had to watch, worse than Teal. At least with those teams you had hope. Houston looked like the real deal, and there was faith that we would rebuild again.

Now, Joe is trying not to make a mistake so he can convince the new owner not to fire him. Until this team is sold, and the new owner either gives Joe some direction or cans him, it's just more of the same.

:frusty:

17. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Absolutely right, it has been very hard to watch. And I am one of the most loyal fans ever, and even I admit it ain't fun no more. But I will perservere, what else can you do, it's in your blood and it's in your heart and you just gotta hang on for the ride and keep the faith. But boy do I miss the good ol' days, with Bill and Vinnie, that's when I got on, and SHEED, man on man do I ever miss him. The games were fun fun, he always did something to make you laugh, you always had to keep your eye on him even during interviews he would walk past and throw a towel over somebodys head. But I digress,, sorry, once I start talking about Sheed , I keep on going.
    We'll be good and fun again, if we all hang together, it'll come around.

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

What, a newbie? lol. I have been following the Pistons since 1972. Trust me, there have been far worse times. Times with no hope, not even any thoughts of such things as championships or really even making the playoffs. All we could hope for, like in 1978 for instance, was that the Pistons could all get hot on shooting the same night and beat another team. Wins were very rare. Still, a lot of die hard fans cheered on the Pistons no matter what. Seats were cheap at the Silverdome too, so it was still fun to go to the game - $6 put you courtside.

19. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

What we're hurting this season is our ability to recruit quality free agents. The Pistons "going to work" atitude, and Joe Dumars would always trump any cold weather / Detroit factor. Now, with a [SARCASM]questionable[/SARCASM] coach and players who seem to enjoy just going through the motions most nights, we are no longer a target for that top tier or even 2nd tier free agent.

By the end of the lockout, the 2004 glory days will just be a long lost memory.

20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Then how do you explain the Charles Villanueva and Ben Gordon signings?