If Brown Was Such A Great Coach

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with Lee too (as usual)...a great coach who began to lose focus. He was going through some major health issues. But a great coach.

I'd also like to point out that Gar Heard gets very little credit for the great job he did as a fill in for Larry. Brash, emotional and intense...Gar was very important to the Pistons.
  3. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

If Larry is so good, why can't he get a job as coach?
  4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Larry would be a good fit for Boston. He is known for being good with veterans, and Boston traded practically all their young guys away. He also seems to be able to get a lot out of the mediocre players that Boston is going to have a lot of.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

1. Maybe he does not want to return

2. Larry Brown is a coach that will win and won't play a lot of the young guys because he knows that the vets can get the job done.

3. Most of the teams that could use that type of coach already have very good coaches. The Pistons are not on the list, Flip is good but not very good. However, LB already had a time here and unfortunately it ended miserably.
  6. max

max All-Star

Larry and Flip are not necessarily related. There were a lot of off the court problems between LB and manangement and quite frankly the guy did not want to be here. With the balace of 30 mil at stake he was not stepping down.

Maybe the dream job was taken out of context but I do believe there was some tampering going on by Isiah. LB took that NY job way too fast. He got healthy real fast after leaving the Pistons and signing with the Knicks.

Now just because LB left did not have to mean Dumars was supposed to sign a dud coach and refuse to give up on him. If he had found someone better and the Pistons had gotten past the ECF then we would not be having this discussion right now.

Brown is a great coach but he is also a drama queen that comes with a lot of maintenance. Not worth the hassle to most GM's for the year or 2 that he sticks around.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Owners know that he is a buy-out waiting to happen.
  8. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

:amen: [sign]IN ALL 24 LANGUAGES[/sign]
  9. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

What Piston fan thought that this year's team without Big Ben was better than any of the two teams that Brown had?

Flip's first year I will grant that most Piston fans thought that they should have gotten to the finals, but not this year without Big Ben.

:hoops:
  10. buddahfan

Exactly my point. Here was a HOF coach who one only one of two years.

So how can fans expect a NON HOF coach to win the last two years with a team that had essentially the same key players as Brown did, except for not having Big Ben, when Brown didn't win.

If it took a HOF coach to get us one title in two tries, how much can we expect from a NON HOF coach who didn't even have Big Ben in his second year and older core players to boot.

Besides, the two years, that Brown got us to the Finals, the East was woeful. It wasn't until Flip's first year that Wade became a star and it wasn't until this year that Lebron had a decent supporting cast. As I recall "Z" was hurt the two years that we got to the finals, and his presence can not be discounted.

11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Why not? The Pistons have one of the top back courts if not the best backcourt in the league. The Pistons have 2 of the most versatile forwards in the game in Prince and Rasheed. Plus the Pistons got one of the best passing big men of all time, Chris Webber. The Pistons should of beat Cleveland, and they should have gotten in a great series with SA to try to win the championship.
  12. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Maybe, they should have, BUT ...........I believe the Cleveland PLAYERS wanted the series more than the PISTON players................
  13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Maybe Flip should have put guys like Maxiell in their. He seemed like he wanted to win. Flip should bench guys who get lazy in the middle of games even if it is a starter, that is the only way that they realize that they are not playing good and fix the problem.
  14. buddahfan

The teams under Brown got to the finals mostly because of the talent of our players vs the rest of the ECF teams.

How soon we forget.

Big Ben was still in is prime the two years under Brown. He was simply awesome.

Sheed was still in his prime the 1 1/2 years under Brown. He was simply awesome.

So this last year we had no Big Ben but Nazr and then a run down C-Webb and Sheed started going down hill in 2005-06.

Brown also had Darko for the playoffs both years and his contributions during practice can not be under estimated.

15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Ben was simply awesome and so was Sheed, so when Flip came here they went downhill...so what?

By that time Rip, Tay, and Chauncey should have been simply awesome. Ben and Sheed would still be great and this team could of done something.
  16. buddahfan

I believe that he was pretty sick physically most of or all of his second year with us. I am sure that that distracted him more than anything else. I am sure that Shelly was nagging him like crazy to get the situation taken care of as soon as possible. That also would have messed with his head.

He had a good reason to be distracted that year.

The question is. Should he even have coached that year. If he hadn't we probably would still have Darko, instead of Nazr.

17. buddahfan

Just for those of us who thought to ask the question or were never told or never read it.

What does Amen mean?

It means "So be it"

amen: Definition and Much More from Answers.com

18. detteam

detteam All-Star

oy vey Where's the tongue-biting smilie when you need it? :gaah:
  19. buddahfan

Exactly, Brown didn't develop the young guys, except for Tay, when he coached the Pistons while the veterans got older.

So Flip inherited an aging veteran cast without any developed young players to come off the bench.

On top of that Flip has been under tremendous pressure from the members of this Forum to produce a trip to the ECF, so he has foregone the development of young players himself in an attempt to get to the finals.

20. buddahfan

Party pooper!