If Brown Was Such A Great Coach

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

grade school tactic? Pop yells at Pizzle when he doesn't play up to standard. He gets on just about everyone so that they play up to snuff. The pistons under LB managed to dig down and find a way to win with their backs against the wall. Flips Pistons seem to flame out. everyone needs a helping hand or a kick in the butt.

2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Wow, I can't believe that folks are still defending Flip Saunders. Flip Saunders has to be one of the worst "playoff" coaches in the history of the game.

3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Okay 22 wins is a lot worse than a loss in the ECF, but whenever I have a goal to reach and I don't make it no matter how close I am it is a dissapointment.

Afterwards I will look at the positives of being close and that is much better than being far away from accomplishing your goals, but while I am trying to accomplish something I tell myself that being close is as same as being far because in both cases I did not accomplish my goal.

Let's say I need a 100% on my next test to get an A in a class. If I get a 99% I won't get an A, and lets say I get a 50% I won't get an A. Afterwards I will see how a 99% is great and that I was close and how that is a good thing, but while I am in the middle of that goal of getting an A a 99% is just as bad as a 50%

Another example is trying to lift a certain amount of weight while working out. If I get close to bench pressing a certain weight, or if I can't even begin to bench press that same weight I am disappointed. Afterwards I will tell myself that if I am close to bench pressing that weight than I am stronger than a person who could not even begin bench pressing the same weight I was doing. When I am in the middle of the goal though anything less than success is failure.

4. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

You lost me there, can you use a more realistic example for me?

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Well I have a second example below.:)

I will try re-explaining the first one though (sorry about the confusion). Let's say I have one last test for a grade term. Right now I am sitting at a B, and the only way to bump my grade up to an A (my goal) is to get a 100%. My point is that a 99% (normally a very good grade) and a 50% (a horrible grade) are both disappointing in that situation because I did not reach my goal of getting a 100% which would also get me an A in the class. In both cases I get lower than an A.

6. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I got it the first time. But thanks.

What is this... A .... that you speak of?

In 06' Flip regressed from the results of 05' and then treaded water 07' from the results of 06'.

Not impressive and not good enough. Make the finals and put up a fight to the finish this season or GTF out of town Flip.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

As in a grade. A being good, B being above average, C being average, D being below average, and E being failing.

Like Larry Brown is an A coach, while Flip is a B or C coach.

8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Flip knew what the expectations were when he took over this team. I don't think it's right to say that making it to the EC Finals is a successful season...clearly the expectations for Flip were to make it to the Finals and at least put up a good fight. He failed.

He had a tough act to follow. It's very hard to follow a legend. Remember those two doofus announcers who tried to fill in for Ernie Harwell? Goodbye Baseball? It's just very hard to live up to the expectations. Especially if you're known for mediocrity...like Flip is.

9. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

What else are most Piston's fans gong to say out loud, especially before last year began.

But if look at what the so called experts said. A lot of them never thought we would get to the ECF. Of course when we got C-Webb a lot of those opinions changed. It looked good until C-Webb pulled his usual disappearing act during important (playoff) games.

:hoops:

10. buddahfan

If it works for us, I will be first in line, cheering MC on, except you know that if becomes the Piston's head coach then Cola will become his assistant. Can PF members live with that?

11. buddahfan

You got the wrong poster.

Check my posts. I don't whine about the Pistons.

There have basically only four individuals that I have been critical of and that is Brown. I had nothing against his coaching, just how he handled people.

Delfino, primarily because he couldn't finish at the rim.

Murray - My criticism of him only went against those who thought he could replace C-Bill as the starting guard, but I have no problem at all with him backing up Hot Rod. I think he would be great as #3 on the depth chart at either guard position, for what we are paying him.

Nazr. - My complaint there has been primarily against his lack of passing ability and his getting into foul trouble early.

My other criticisms have been few and mostly all limited to the fact that the team was getting a little long in the tooth, but I have never complained that Flip needed to play the young guys more, though I think it would be a good idea.

You might projecting your own posts on this one.

12. buddahfan

You mean that Nazr and C-Webb were actually Big Ben. Whoa. You could have fooled me on that one.

13. buddahfan

Neither the O6 or 07 playoff teams had Darko!!!!

Flip has definitely been at a major disadvantage coaching the Pistons as compared to Brown!!

14. buddahfan

So you would like to see Bad Boy Bill as a Piston's coach!!!

15. buddahfan

I can't believe that you actually believe that.

That is like believing that Barry Bonds never used steriods.

16. max

max All-Star

Carlisle? He is out. Banned for life or whatver by the owner.

It does not seem very healthy getting into all this how things used to be talk.

There are a lot of off the court issues on why LB is no longer the coach and Dumars decided on more of a company man. Unfortunatly he picked the wrong one.

Hopefully he will bite the bullet and correct that mistake but for now what can we do? Whoever the next Piston head coach is going to be its definetly not going to be Larry Brown. And Ben Wallace ain't comming back either.

17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

if not him, somebody in that mode.... they have shown without a doubt to me the last two years they need a coach that gets in there face and challenges them.

18. buddahfan

I would go along with that, as long as he doesn't bash his players in the public media!!!

19. buddahfan

If Cola is banned for life than forget about Curry being head Piston coach. Curry owes Cola big time for carrying him the years that Cola coached in Detroit.

20. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

And Urkle Sr. outcoached Flipper by a longshot. Urkle's defensive scheme crippled C-Note and thus, the Pistons.