If Brown Was Such A Great Coach

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Aug 2, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

There appears to be a lot of truth in that statement from what I saw of the series, though I wouldn't agree with term "long shot", but it appeared to me that Brown definitely out coached Flip in that series.

:hoops:

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The disturbing thing isn't that Flip was outcoached by Mike Brown.

It's that he was outcoached 2 straight years by Mike Brown, and 3 times overall (include Pat Riley) by the same approach. Shut down CB, play tough defense. Win without homecourt.

3. buddahfan

Agreed.

However, by the time this year's playoff come round Hot Rod will make the difference in the back court, to say nothing of AJ up front.

4. roscoe36

I absolutely hope so.

5. buddahfan

That sure makes me happy. I though for a while that you had started wearing Green!!! LOL

6. roscoe36

I play fantasy bball. Usually loosely follow 15 ~ 20 teams a year. I like RayRay and The Truth a lot.

A good Celtics team is good for basketball, and maybe resurrecting some old Detroit/Boston rivalries.

7. max

max All-Star

Oddly enough Delfinos stats last season were not much better than the production that Curry gave us. They both played around the same amt of total mins and both avg around 5 PPG with 1-2 per game in everything else. Curry was the better defender.

8. buddahfan

So are you suggesting that he Pistons should have made Delfino and assistant coach rather than trading him?

9. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I'm a little surprised at this. Being out coached is pure nonsense. Mike Brown is only slightly more conservative and formula driven than Flip. The former is terrible when the clock is under five minutes (mainly because he doesn't understand the flow of the game and doesn't know the existence of the last minute).

There is only one coach who is as good with the clock as Flip and that is Riley. The last two minutes are where the works of art show their hues from these two.

Shutting down CB? Tis easy...meet him quickly with a duo and shove him back toward the circle. The rest are planted in their comfort zone, saying, "what can we do"? The game begins and ends at the expansion movement from 20 feet outward. Not a go-to guy in the bunch.

10. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

did u forget about delfinos excellent rebounding in short time...?

11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

you are right about shutting down Cb and thus the pistons offense. so what adjustments did we make. you can argue that Mb's lack of game management lost them the first 2 games and kept a few close but they dd manage to shake the 3rd quarter monkey while we kept tryng to do the same thng.

12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I hope you are right, but how will those two guys help so much? Cleveland went after Chauncey, so why couldn't Flip adjust the offense around guys even better than Stuckey and AJ (Sheed, Tay, Rip, and C Webb). Chauncey might be the PG, but Tayshaun can play the point and distribute the ball. Plus Sheed is one of the best passing big men in the game, and Webber is arguably the best passing big man in history.

13. buddahfan

1. With Hot Rod and Afflalo I believe that C-Bill's and Rip's minutes will go down enough for them to be fresher and quicker come playoff time.

2. Hot Rod is a better penetrating guard than C-Bill. Hot Rod is just as big and strong and he is quicker and what is even more impressive is that he wants the ball in crunch time and can shoot especially free throws.

3. Wilt was the best passing Center in history. He is 56th all time in assists second among centers only to Cap who was 33rd. In 66-67 Wilt averaged 7.8 assists a game in addition to 24 points a game. The next year Wilt averaged 8.6 assists a game and scored over 24 points a game. In 66-67 he was third in the league in assists and in 67-68 he lead the league in assists, the only center ever to do that.

Career Leaders and Records for Assists - Basketball-Reference.com

Wilt Chamberlain Statistics - Basketball-Reference.com

4. Tay is a pretty good ball handler but he is no guard and certainly no point guard. He never has gotten to the line enough to be considered a point guard. Tay's career average is less than 2.5 free throws a game. Hot Rod has D. Wade's ability to get to the line. That will open up the offense. I expect that we will see a lot of Hot Rod, C-Bill and Rip on the court at the same time.

Tayshaun Prince Statistics - Basketball-Reference.com

5. Sheed's career average is less than 2 assists a game. That is not what I would call good. In fact for his career he has averaged almost as many turnover per game as assists per game. By Comparison Shaq' career average is 2.8 assists a game and about the same number of turnover's per game.

Rasheed Wallace Statistics - Basketball-Reference.com

Shaquille O'Neal Statistics - Basketball-Reference.com

6. AJ is probably one of the best 94 by 50 big men in the NBA right now. He will also spread the defense.

It is my opinion that with this year's lineup it will be extremely difficult for defensive teams to concentrate their defense around C-Bill with double teams, traps and the like. Of course we will just have to wait and see. I am looking forward to it.

14. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

If that was the case, then DET would have swept its way into the Finals this year.

15. Pwn Toney

Even if there is some validity to that, the same could be said for his departure from Philly and arrival in DET. So, I don't see why anyone would act as if DET was completely screwed or conspired against by LB.

16. Pwn Toney

Funny how player egos didn't keep them from reaching the 05 Finals, which as a loss, would leave them that much more determined in 06. However, they turned in a worse performance and no clutch play against MIA the following year. Besides, player egos didn't seem to keep them from beating CLE the year before. Egos are NOT this team's problem. They ARE a problem of sorts, but only because you have a leader (coach) who chooses to do nothing when the players heads get too big. Funny how we never heard huge ego arguments after the 05 Finals.

17. Pwn Toney

These aren't 5th grade girls. They can take it.

Besides, if they would do what they're asked to do (read: Memo) nothing would be said publicly. It's a last resort. I love how people act like if LB said something when asked by a reporter that he never once mentioned it to the player during the 100's of practices they have. These guys choose when to listen and when not to. The difference is, LB would rip them a new one and/or bench them. Flip just shurgs and hopes we hit our shots.

I want a guy who isn't going to pretend like his guys are doing their jobs when their not. At least then, as a fan, I know my eyes aren't lying to me when the coach decides to be honest when asked.

I know if I wasn't doing my job and my boss kept telling me repeatedly to get it together and I chose not to do so, he/she has every right to tell everyone that I'm not getting the job done. As a matter of fact, I want to make sure that doesn't happen, so I do my job. You never heard LB giving Ben the treatment...why? Because he did his job.

18. Pwn Toney

The truth is not limited to what you are willing to believe.

19. buddahfan

Brown had a lot of problems with AI in Philly

AI has almost been a poster child since.

Different strokes for different folks.

There are all kinds of theories about human motivation, including that it is okay to abuse your subordinates.

I knew a women once who was 35 years old before she learned that a man could love her without beating her up!!!

20. buddahfan

I dated another women one time. I asked her out for second date and she said in all seriousness. You are too nice of a guy for me to date, I need someone who will treat me like sheet!!! And she didn't just say that to say it.