If Brown Was Such A Great Coach

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Do you have that hoop smilie on speed dial?

Abuse no...be demanding of and hold accountable for their lack of production and adherence to expectations....ABSOLUTELY.
  2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

This quote sums up the LB/Iverson relationship in a nutshell:

BROWN-IVERSON FEUD A LESSON FOR MARBURY.(Sports).
    New York Post (New York, NY) (Nov 25, 2005): p126

Both LB and AI can be temperamental Prima Donnas. They are both very, very good at what they do. Coaches in the NBA are judged by results and you can't get much better results than LB produced in his two Piston years.

And yet Larry Brown, the man, is a whiny dictator so many people ignore his NBA accomplishments and start to treat him like a soap opera character. They don't like him being too harsh with their favorite players. They don't like him because he is an NBA nomad who always wears out his welcome.

We knew all about him before he showed up in Detroit. We knew he didn't play rookies. We knew he wouldn't stay long. We wanted him here for a short term to get this team to the next level.

He did exactly what he was brought here to do. Complain all you want but the LB years went perfectly according to plan.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

My take is that in 2004, the players blindly followed LB to the championship. His abuse was wearing on them, but they were willing to tolerate because of the goal. By 2005, they made it to the finals again, but became disillusioned when LB became a one man circus as the season wore on. The players were rid of him at the end of the season. (I think LB was shipped out MORE because of player complaints than due to his own continuous circus.) In 2006, the players were ready to respond to a coach who was less of a tyrant. They had a successful season, but lost the edge in the playoffs when the "Tyrant Switch" could not be activated. Flip dealt with the player like men, but LB has poisoned the process with his gestapo style. Players turned on Flip during the 06-07 season, because they had become the "Me First" monster. Dumars saw all of this and kept his coach and has mandated more floor time for the new players. I still hope he can move a starter besides Webber, to further send the message to the players as to who's in charge................................
  4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

My examples stand on their own.

What is one's person's pleasure is another person's abuse.

One thing in my life that I can be proud of is that I have struck a woman or publicly abused people like Brown has done.

Larry Brown is an abusive individual.

:hoops:
  5. Pwn Toney

So, what you're telling me is.....let the players run the franchise and make your decisions based on their "attitudes."

The players turned on Flip because they realized their new found freedom resulted in having a coach who has no clue how to get the job done. Evidenced by Sheed's refusal to hack Ben Wallace at one point during the CHI series. But, then again, I'm quite positive it's just because Sheed became a malcontent.

I love the "it's all on the players" excuse when the one thing that changed is the coaching philosophy. People still can't seem to find any error in the only thing that was a major change.
  6. Pwn Toney

I'm not looking for a spouse....I want a championship level basketball coach. Save the abuse examples for marraige counseling.
  7. Nemo

No........what I'm saying is that the Pistons are unmanageable right now. The makeup of the team needs to be changed to better instill the appropriate philosophies............I really don't totally blame the players. Just about 70% of the fault lies with them. They were emotionally corrupted under the influence of LB...................
  8. Pwn Toney

I wish Flip would emotionally corrupt them back into the Finals.
  9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I was going to say the same thing. I don't understand the strange fixation with LB's personality...let's face it, he must be doing something right. The guy is in his mid-sixties, wears a diaper and still snagged a hot looking wife.
  10. Nemo

:drillsergeant: :icon_evil: :wedgie: :rant2: :shootingsoldier: :angrysoapbox:
    Now you're talkin..............
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think (hope) you forgot a word in there....
  12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

That's not something you should be proud of. I never knew Brown was a woman beater. And really, you shouldn't be striking or abusing anyone...not just women.
  13. max

max All-Star

There is plenty of blame to go around on both sides. To me it did not seem like either side was interested in continuing on.

The guy is not the coach anymore. Thats the bottom line.
  14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Does that mean I have to stop abusing YOU Slippy? That will take a lot of the joy out of my life. :stirthepot::MusicBigGrin:
  15. buddahfan

You are correct thanks for pointing that out

One thing I can be proud of is that I have never struck a women in my life

16. buddahfan

See my correction.

Interesting that after Laimbeer correctly gave me the benefit of the doubt that I made a typo, you choose to assume that what I said was correct even though no person would go around bragging about abusing people.

Thanks for believing in me and having faith that I have superb error less typing skills.

Sorry to disappoint

Have a nice weekend.

17. Slippy

I guess I'll take one for the team. :whip:
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I missed something here. Has Brown ever hit a woman?
  19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Does throwing a full catheter bag at somebody count?

[​IMG]

I'm assuming Buddah used very poor syntax. He not only left a word out but the way he worded it (inadvertantly, I assume) it sounded like the two ideas (hitting women and humiliating people publicly) were both attributable to Brown, when he actually meant only the latter was attributable to Brown, but he thought both actions were very wrong.

Or maybe not.:MusicBigGrin:

Anyhow, Buddah is mistaken. Unfortunately, many people DO brag and take pride in those things. I've worked with them for many years.
  20. Slippy

So THAT was in the waterballoon you threw at me? :brick:I don't even want to know how that got filled.