If Brown Was Such A Great Coach

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Aug 2, 2007.

1. max

max All-Star

I have given up on Flip after the Clev series. I thought for sure he would have been canned. But he was not.

To answer my own question. I don't think Brown would have beat Miami in 06 with the way they were playing. Their role players were unconsious. Maybe the games would have been closer and maybe it would have went 7. In the end I think we would have lost.

I do think we would have made it to the Finals last year under Brown. That series was ready for the taking and unfortunatly Mike Brown was the one able to make the key adjustments. I don't know if we would have beaten SAN under LB though. Parker/Ginobili have gotten so much better since 05.

In short if LB would have stayed I think we would have seen 3 trips to the Finals but still only one title in 04.

As far as Ben staying its hard to say. 60mil over 4 years was a lot of change to match for a declining player.
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

I think I'm beginning to like you for even more than just your cute avatar. Wanna go out for tea some time?
  3. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

I would take Larry Brown right now knowing that he would want to leave in a season or so. To me he is worth more now to us than what he was before we got to the Finals the 1st time. Larry Brown was our Gregg Popovich, the only difference between us and San Antone in my opinion. If he could have stayed we may have won a 2nd title with a realistic possibility of winning a 3rd. God, I miss Larry even with all of his whining. At least that guy knew how to win when it counts.
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Brown is better than Saunders.
    The end.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

The team would have spiralled downward if LB had stayed the coach. Players would have jumped ship, no longer able to tolerate his antics.

Flip brought stability to the franchise. With the blessing of Joe Dumars, Flip will help to rebuild this team into a contender again.
  6. mikhail1973

Do we assume that LB's theatrics with possibly being interested in going to another team and health issues are the antics? Because I'm not sure what else did he do that could've alienated the players.
  7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I can't believe I'm writing this, but I'd take LB on a one year contract over Flip right now.
  8. mikhail1973

So would I. As sad as it sounds.
  9. max

max All-Star

Whats sad is Flip and Brown have done nothing different as Pistons than the rest of the teams they have coached with. Dumars should have known what he was getting.

These guys are not going to change. They don't work for the same reasons as everyone else. They are all set for life and have guranteed contracts. Some guys may bend more than others but in the end they are going to do it their way.
  10. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Exactly Max. There should have been no surprises. Folks sometimes acted shocked that LB was difficult to deal with and was antagonistic to the youngsters....ummmm...that's part of the package we hired.

Same with Flip. The Master of Mediocrity. The Playoff Poseur.
  11. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

He verbally blasted them in public.

There is such a thing as not washing your dirty laundry in public and taking care of your own problems privately. Both are considered proper social behavior.

What Brown publicly said about some of his players and the way he said it was just plain wrong!!

I know that there are a lot of people who think that it is okay for someone to call someone out in public and don't think it is wrong, but I don't agree with that at all.

That is how I see it. Other's who think it is okay to call someone out in public will of course believe that Brown was just being tough and that the players were acting like sissy's by the way that they responded.

To me the way that Brown acted was workplace harassment, because those called out in public couldn't really do anything about it except want out and leave, which is what they did.

:hoops:
  12. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There is no excuse for not beating that Cavs team, with or without Ben. I don't care how good LeBron is. If there was ever a 'free-pass' year to the finals it was last season.

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

You can say that again. Chauncey and Rip should be able to dominate the Cavs back court at will, but somehow Hughes (who had a bad foot) and Gibson managed to burn us.

Sheed and Webber should have dominated Gooden, and Ilgauskas with the passing game, inside plays, and outside plays as well.

Tayshaun has his hands full with LeBron, but I remember a lot of games where Tay actually outscores LeBron despite getting less play calls.

Ben Wallace or no Ben Wallace that was a bad performance.
  14. mikhail1973

It was a mixed bag of players not playing up to their level and also minute mismanagement by the coaching. Remember, this is the fifth straight season with extended playoffs and players get physically and emotionally worn out.
  15. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Tell that to the Spurs. They aren't listening.
  16. mikhail1973

They don't have to because as I said many times over and over again, their coach managed their star players minutes brilliantly so that they weren't worn out. They also used their bench extensively. What a concept!
  17. buddahfan

They also had a vastly superior bench to ours.

18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I don't know that the quality of their bench is all that relative to the question. Flip should have been playing the bench enough to keep our starters fresh. Are you saying our bench wasn't even good enough to do that?
  19. buddahfan

Would you care to walk into a sports bar in Cleveland next November during a Cavs game and repeat that over the PA system?

Let us know what the reaction is.

I think you might have a few people there who will strongly disagree with you.

Thanks
  20. buddahfan

No my comment was in response to Mikhail's comment about Pop managing his bench a lot better than Flip.

So to rephrase what I said. "It wouldn't have mattered who managed our bench last year, the Spurs bench still would have been superior to ours just based on the talent levels.

My response did not address how Flip managed our bench last year. I don't believe that I have commented too often on the forum about this subject. The reason is, is because am just not that comfortable commenting on it.