If Delfino Can Break Down Our Defense We Are In Big Trouble

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, May 1, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Delfino's game has some sizzle

I like Delfino's game and his attitude, but come on if he really can just toy with our defense then either.

1. They really weren't exerting themselves, which hopefully they will do against the Bulls

2. Or we are big big trouble starting this Saturday. Because if Delfino can break down our defense I hate to think what Gordon, Deng, Hinrich and company will be able to do with it next week.

:hoops:

2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Notice Rasheed wasn't actually playing.

This was likely against alot of bench players.

So who was Carlos bustin' up?

Dupree?

3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

If Delfino is doing this well in practice, I agree, it is a bad sign. Of course, it was just practice and there were reports of Darko having great practices and Ben Wallace stroking his free throws like he was Chauncey in practice too...hmmm.

4. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i don't think we are in trouble. just maybe chicago is in trouble. delfino isn't some scrub. he's a legit world champion baller. he has plenty of game he's just been held back by a few coaches and systems that don't use his abilities. it's no surprise to me that he can do well in practice.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Carlos is young, and confidence is everything for him at this point. If he's practicing well, it should carry over to games. We're gunna need every bullet in the bandolero.

6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Hey, he's the Dan Majerle of Argentina. How are bench players going to stop THAT?

Actually, that's not a bad comparison. Similar size and style.

7. buddahfan

Go Carlos

Madonna Lyrics - Don't Cry For Me Argentina Lyrics

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Piston starters are certainly vulnerable to guard penetration. It wouldn't surprise me to hear Delfino lighting them up once in a while at practice. I'm sure lots of bench guys (Stackhouse, Barbosa, Darko, Mo Evans, etc.) go off in practice at times.

9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think if we had the misfortune of losing tay for a few weeks, we'd have seen a different Delfino emerge. I am just guessing but i think in practice CD has more opportunities to have the ball in his hands. There is a big difference between trying to shine and being depended on to produce.

during short periods during the season, we should have allowed CD to be a focal point of our bench offense. as it was, it took a higher hand to even get him on the floor.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

As all golfers know, hitting good shots on the range is different than hitting good shots on the course.

11. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Hey, nobody out there better mess with PF.com now...between Slippy's fat samurai avatar and Laimbs with Hong Kong Phooey, that's some serious butt-kicking power!

12. buddahfan

I think that is true in all sports. I think a part of it is a mental thing. Some people can't maintain their level when the lights go on or the pressure builds up.

There are twelve players, actually fifteen, and their is a pecking order. It is okay to step out of line in practice but when the real lights go on it gets more complicated. If a player is going to be more aggressive when the lights are on the other 4 guys on the floor have to accept that especially when the other 4 on the floor could all be all stars and some future HOF guys.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That pecking order thing was pretty aparent last night in the Denver/ Spurs game. When Steve Blake elected to take a shot under pressure, it was like the music stopped. You could just feel that he was the odd man out. He finally hit his first shot of the game with 1 minute left, but he stepped on the 3-point line and then Bob took over.

Anyone here who has played in a pick-up game with players who are much better than you will understand. You just don't feel comfortable jacking up your normal shots until you establish yourself and feel like your teammates want you to shoot them.

14. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

From the same article:
    "People ask me all the time, 'Why don't you play like you did in Argentina?' " Delfino said. "I tell them I had the ball in my hands all the time then. Here, we don't need that."
    He paused.
    "Maybe in the future, but not now."

The article just reinforces my feeling about the major flaw with Flips use/development of rooks. The biggest hurdle our young guys have is not learning to play well, it's learning to deal with limited minutes and limited roles.

Other coaches will play the hot hand, and use the bench to push starters, so the 6th and 7th men can earn more minutes, that will/would never happen under Flip/previous coaches.

Which is why our system favors undertalented/over achievers hungry for any minutes they can get vs guys with talent trying to get more pt. Talented guys get frustrated and move on. Hopefully Carlos gets more pt, and stays. But i have a feeling, he's going to do an Okur.

15. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I hope that doesn't happen. As of right now there is a definite place for Carlos for many years to come on this team IMO.

I really feel for Flip Saunders though, he's been between a rock and a hard place with this team over the last few years. Developing players comes at the cost of regular season games, and despite what fans claim most of them are unwilling to sit through too many losses while they plan the next parade downtown.

Too many times I've seen the bench come in and turn a double digit lead into a deficit within two minutes time. Meanwhile fans start barking at Flip to put the starters back in, while the starters bark at Flip to be put back in. Each and every time I see this I'm glad I'm not coaching.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Those are the times when the bench players just need 1 or 2 starters mixed in with them. I always thought Webber would be a good choice because of his passing ability.

Our bench has a few too many defensive role players to really be able to gel as 1 unit. Hunter, Delfino, Davis, Nazr.

17. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Wisdom in every word.

18. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Prove it.

First with a definition of "developing", if you don't mind.

19. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

You may as well ask me to prove Ice Cream is good, or prove that Jazz is pleasing to the ears.

Eye of the beholder and subjectivity. Couple this with the fact that you can backseat drive every road not taken with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight as your flashlight, and no proof whatsoever will ever change your mind.

I may as well ask you to prove that the current Golden State Warrior squad is the worst defensive team Nellie has ever fielded as a coach, despite ex-players and coaches testimony to the contrary.

It's subjective. Not to mention hardly worth arguing. If you disagree so be it, but if you demand proof for every opinion on this board we will all be left with about 6 posts a piece.

20. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I'm just asking for you to support your assertion. Considering how popular an assertion it is, there should be something all those beholders' eyes are seeing.

And considering that it is the foundation of your argument, it is absolutely worth arguing.