If Delfino Can Break Down Our Defense We Are In Big Trouble

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, May 1, 2007.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    We have definitely seen bench lose a double-digit lead in a matter of minutes. We have also seen them come in with a double-digit deficit and tie the game. I think the problem is that there are no established roles on the bench. If the starters are doing well, the bench sits. Even if you play extremely well in the first half, it doesn't guarantee that you'll get any playing time in the second. I think it is one of Flip's flaws that even though he says that the playing time is earned, the reward is not always there.

2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Definition of developing:

According to fans and the player concerned:

Seems to be game time given. Practice doesn't count.
    Needs to be time, needs to be increasingly significant, needs to be substantial in order to provide a player with adequate rhythm to show "the fans" what the player can do.

This runs contrary to fielding your best possible team out on the floor. It lets inferior teams stay close,if not allows them to build leads, gives them confidence, and puts your team in close late game situations that can easily result in a loss.

But that, alas, is my subjective opinion.

3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Unfortunately, I'm not really arguing as much as expressing my unique opinion.

And I think you should take my Woody Woodpecker avatar. :)

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Good definition Cloud.

5. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

this is also the same situation you are in with 5 bored starters in the game. i think mixing in a few hungry bench players for development would really help things.

6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think the debate starts with the fundamental differences between the roles of the coach and the GM.

The coach is more concerned with the here and now. If there are no results now, there will be no later. Therefore they tend to be more focused on putting the best team on the floor rather than developing the bench/youth. Flip is Captain Panic. He's too slow to pull the starters and too quick to pull the reserves.

GMs tend to have a much longer leash than the coaches. They need to pay attention to the here and now while also planning for and keeping an eye on the future. Losing seems to be more accepted for a GM than a Coach as long as there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Finding that happy balance between short term success and long term development is the key. I firmly believe that you CAN have your cake and eat it to.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Lets talk actual facts from the season. Maxiell played in 29 games where he played 15 or more minutes. We won 19 of these games, for a 66% clip. We won 65% overall. From this one piece of data anyway, developing a player does not translate into losses.

8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Not surprising. When he gets the ball in his hands early in the clock, he does good things with it (penetrate and dish for easy scores in particular). Problem is, the only thing we usually see is him camped in the corner throwing up long jumpers. And if he gets the ball in his hands for something other than a shot, it's probably a late-clock bail out, or a post entry pass.

This is still one of Flip's unsolved mysteries. We've got no guard who can run the offense off the bench, but we've got a playmaking swingman stuck in a jumpshooters role.

I still believe that Delfino running the offense with Lindsey or Flip playing the spot-up role and guarding the PG is the way to go. At least Flip should switch it up a bit instead of watching Lindsey or Flip dribble our playoff lives away on every possession. May be too late for that, but it is what it is.

9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Delfino... "a lil less talk if you please... a lot more action is what I need".

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What if Flip elected to play Maxiell more in those 29 games because they were generally against bad opponents?

Of those 29 games you speak of, only 9 were against opponents with > .500 records. The average team was 6.5 games under .500.

11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Then FLip was smart and chose his moments. Maxiell and Delfino are not out to beat the Dallas mavericks of the world but against the Grizzlies of the league, they ain't gonna hurt you and they may just develop enough to help your team when it counts.

12. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Totally agreed. Bench is always better when they 1 or 2 starters in there with them. The bench as a unit will play like 5 games good out of 82 games. Our bench guards (Hunter, Flip & Murray) always seems to play better if they play with some of starters.

13. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I tend to agree with the forum leader on this. Although I think there were times when FLip should have played Maxiell more overall he did a decent job distributing minutes this year...and hopefully we'll see that next year with Amir.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The interesting thing is that Maxiell got a lot of regular season minutes against the Bulls this year. So, Flip must have thought that he matched up well against them.

15. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I guess we'll find that out in a few days. Maxiell is a good post defender, but not sure if he's fast enough to cover the jump-shooters, which is Bulls' strength.

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Not. Just the way it went with injuries for the most part.