if the orlando pick land at 15 or 16

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by doublead, Mar 16, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Right now the Magic are in the 8th hole. They have one less loss than the Pacers who are in the 9th hole. Head to head they are even. However, at this point the Pacers have a 22-21 Conference record vs the Magic's 21-24. With only 9 games left for the Pacers and eight left for the Magic there is a good chance the the Pacers will finish with a better Conference record than the Magic. The Pacers appear to have a slightly easier schedule the rest of the way.

The Nets in the 7th hole are only one up in the loss column vs the Magic. Head to head they are even. However, the Nets are 24-19 in against the Conference so it appears that the Magic will have to finish with the better record than the Nets to finish ahead of them. The Nets have 9 games left and appear to have by far the toughest schedule of the three teams.

The Knicks are looking like the odd team out right now.

:hoops:
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You're right. The Knicks aren't looking too good right now. Their schedule is not too difficult, but they will have to go on about a 7-2 run to make it to #8.

The Magic have a few tough games left (Miami, Detroit, Washington, Toronto). If they could somehow finish around 2-6 in their final 8 games, the Piston draft pick would end up in the top 10.

The draft seems deep, though. The Pistons should end up with a solid player wherever they draft. Even a guy like Acie Law is projected to go at #19.
  3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'm like the rest of you guys in that I'm really hoping we get a high draft pick, but I think our bigger concern is not where we pick but what we do with it.

Maybe it's just the ghost of Darko, but with all due respect to Larry Brown, I don't have much faith we'll "pick the right way".
  4. buddahfan

Well Joe has a few good picks to his credit.

Prince, JMax, Amir, Okur, Delfino, and DMC?

DMC actually had a double double the other day.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

18 points, 10 boards (6 offensive!), 2 assists, 3 steals, 3 blocks.

44 Darko points.

Here is what I don't get though. Brian Hill felt totally comfortable having Darko guard Kevin Garnett for the 4th quarter and overtime, but he doesn't feel comfortable starting him. That's a little weird.
  6. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Does Orlando have the right to keep their pick this year if they choose to?
  7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

They can only choose to keep the pick if it lands at 1-5. (Correct me if I'm wrong) If so, then next year's pick is ours no matter what.
  8. buddahfan

We can certainly help ourselves tonight regarding our Orlando draft pick. The Magic are only one behind the Nets.

9. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

If Conley, Law, and Collison all enter the draft, then I would think that we'd have a good chance of getting one of them. Maybe even with our second pick.
  10. Sanddunes

Sanddunes First Round Draft Pick

What number will the Orlando pick be if the Wizards drop to the 8 spot after tonight (Orlando wins and the Wizards lose tonight)?
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Our pick could drop 3 positions (the Wiz could be passed up by NJ & G.S.)... we could end up with #18... they play the Pacers on ESPN tonight.
    Interesting that NBADDRAFT.NET has Thabeet as our current pick & Acie Law available.
    Maybe getting a worse selection is a good thing... Joe hasn't had much luck with early picks.
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Given the talent level on the team right now, picking late allows the Pistons to select the player they think is the best fit. Not necessarily the best player available.

And it helps salary wise as well.

It's hard to DNP a $3 million dollar a year rookie or send him down to the NBDL.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but Darko got a sever ankle sprain in the Magic game yesterday. Looks like he will probably not play in the first round. Couldn't put pressure on it, got carried off, wearing a boot, and using crutches.

This is why it is kind of silly to expect Sheed and Co. to play hard in thesse meaningless games.
  14. Sanddunes

Sanddunes First Round Draft Pick

Merc: thanks. You think Miami might try to beat Orlando tonight just to keep the Wiz from dropping to 8?
  15. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

This is subject to confirmation by the experts; but I believe that if your scenario occurs, Magic and Wizards tie record-wise. Magic get the better seed in the playoffs due to head-to-head or conference record.

For determining draft order, I believe they just flip a coin. I wondered about this myself - thinking that if you were awarded the better seed in the playoffs that it would be most fair if you got the lower draft pick. But apparently this is not the case. Last year they did the coin flipping shortly after the end of the regular season - so we should know soon regardless.
  16. buddahfan

Don't tell that to Larry Brown!! He did it without missing a beat. And boy is the world grateful. After all if it wasn't for Brown's tremendous insight into DMC's playing and competitive skills the Pistons never would have had the second coming of "Nevitt Time" in the form of "The Human Victory Cigar".

Thanks Larry. You finally got to one up Red. Have a Havana on me.

17. buddahfan

It looks like we have the 15th pick provided of course that Joe D. doesn't trade it.

We should get someone pretty good with that pick.

18. pistonsin6

pistonsin6 First Round Draft Pick

What would it take to move up in the draft to around the 10-12th pick? Is it impossible to do that without packaging both of Detroits first round picks?
  19. buddahfan

If the Pistons draft Thabeet and he turns out to be a force what an interior defense the Pistons would have with him and AJ.

You are talking probably 8 blocks plus a game just from them plus who knows how many altered shots.

20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

A lineup featuring Amir (SF), Samba Mamba (PF), Thabeet (C)... they would just hold hands and holler "red rover" (dating self)... they would cover one side of the court to the other.