if the orlando pick land at 15 or 16

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by doublead, Mar 16, 2007.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Don't forget to add the long arms of Tayshaun on the perimeter...
  2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I would still like to see the Pistons draft Al Thorton.

DraftExpress.com has the Pistons picking him
    NBAdraft.net him being taking in the 13th slot by NO.

I just like this guys game. 4 year guy at a solid program. Why would we take a small forward with are current squad? I say draft for the best player/athlete available. That gives you more trade and more salary cap options. I don't believe that we have the best player at any single position so that means we can always improve.

Thorton is ranked #2 among all seniors this year. Of course we know that the senior class of draft eligible players is not very large anymore because the top players all come out before then but still #2 is not bad.

For what is worth Draft Express says that Thorton could compare to Maggette.

I am for drafting someone that can help us sooner rather than later. I think Thorton would be that man.

As I have previously posted when Joe D. went to personally scout him Thorton exploded for 42 big ones. I am sure he made a favorable impression on Joe D.

DraftExpress Profile: Al Thornton

:hoops:
  3. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Because Tay hasn't had a legit backup for the last 3 years, and still doesn't.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

"He would be best fitted in an up and down style of play, where he would be able to utilize his athletic abilities and length to the fullest capabilities."

According to that Draftnet article.

They say he is an attrocious passer, dribbles with his head down, doesn't box out, and rotates like a moron on defense.

He sounds like the anti-Tay.

My question is, what would he provide that Amir Johnson couldn't? They seem too similar (not in their faults, but in their skill sets).
  5. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Seattle was desperately looking for a vet big man last year. Portland is reportedly willing to part with their 1st for a "suitable veteran." I wouldn't mind packaging Nazr and the Orlando pick to move up to the top ten. Especially with some excellent wing players projected to be available in the mid teens. Plenty of good big men (top ten picks) comin out. Plus, there should still be some good pickings at the end of the 1st round.

I saw Thabeet play (against "average" competition no less) and he don't seem so hot to me. That cat has a LONG way to go before becoming a legit NBA player. He's a "Darko-like" 4-5 year project.

Thornton is a fine player but is a 3/4. We got enough of them on our roster right now. I'm thinkin either PG, combo guard, or Big.
  6. buddahfan

Other than Conley and Law there isn't really any point guard worth drafting in the top 20 slots that I know about. If someone knows of one please post.

The first round pick list seems to be fairly well stocked with the other four positions beside point guard. Unfortunately that is probably what Detroit needs more than anything else other than a #1.

I just hope who ever we draft that if he is a big he can rebound and if he is a point guard he can shoot.

7. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

Two words: Rodney Stuckey. :)
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Jonathan Givony (DraftExpress.com) explains how it all shakes out.

Link courtesy of TrueHoop.

9. buddahfan

I was just thinking if Joe D. would take a chance with another non-American with this pick?

There are some pretty good foreign players available. One thing is that even if the best player available when we go to pick is a non-American, I am not so sure that Joe D. would pick him given the bad luck? experience that we have had with non-American picks.

Memo bolted
    DMC was a wash out for us.
    Zelly had the heart problem
    Delfino is becoming a fair backup small forward and I guess for a second round pick not that bad.

The Pistons have just not good results with foreign models. But I guess being in Detroit you would expect the foreign models to be lemons. LOL

10. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

Brewer or J. Green would be ideal, but they'll both probably be gone in the 6-10 range. Conley or Law might slip (Law would be more likely to fall to 15). I would be all for trading up to get one of these 2. I also like Julian Wright, but I'm not sure what position he would be, 3/4 tweener type.

I was hoping Brandon Rush would be coming out, but it doesnt look like it. He would have been a great pick up with our late First rounder.
  11. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

The word outta Storrs is that Thabeet probably is staying in school. He told an incoming recruit that he was staying, and I also spoke to an assistant coach who said the same. Of course, Thabeet is the only one who knows for sure. But I agree with Hatter; the dude has a long, long way to go.
  12. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

I am not sure on this one but is there a rule about trading a pick that has already been traded. My point is even if we wanted to trade up with someone can we even do it. If so there are 2 guys who I would trade up for Brewer out of Florida and Wright out of Kansas. If we could get 1 of those guys then I would be happy.

If not then play the waiting game and see if Law or Conley drop to us.
  13. J-Train

J-Train Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Sadly, I can't see Conley falling past ATL, and I would be shocked if The Clips let Law get past them after Livingston's injury. We'll have to hope that one of them makes an improbable jump up, thus allowing one of the two PGs to fall.
  14. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Whoever we draft, I just hope there will be some minutes for whoever they draft. Enough of the projects already.
  15. buddahfan

If we sign C-Webb with added minutes going to AJ and maybe even JMax and with Carlos earning more minutes I don't how it would be possible for any front court player that we might draft to get any minutes at all.

As far the backcourt goes. Law or Conley would maybe get some minutes. It really will come down to Flip Jr. and whether he is around next year and how he plays or if Acker makes the team. It also depends on whether we resign C-Bill. If we resign C-Bill I just don't see how there will be many minutes for rookie point guard especially if Acker makes the team.

The general consensus seems to be that we need a backup point guard and that Conley or Law might fit the bill. On this I would agree, but it is very hard to give a rookie point guard a lot of minutes in the NBA unless they are truly exceptional.

So if we resign C-Bill and C-Webb I don't us giving any more than irrelevant minutes to a rookie at least during the beginning of the year, unless there is a serious injury.

Blalock does not at this point look like the future replacement for C-Bill. What
  16. mikhail1973

I agree. But we still need help back there to give Chauncey some time off during the game without hurting the team. Hopefully they get someone who can start with maybe 10-12 minutes a game.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Acker will for sure make the team. We need to get him for the start of next season. He's talented, athletic, and now he's experienced.
  18. mikhail1973

That he is. But there still remain two questions: is he going to opt out of his deal in Europe and can he play point? According to everything I've read so far putting him at the point would take away from his best skills.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Kobe plays point... except he doesn't get any assists, so I think it could work.
  20. buddahfan

The Pistons should try and get Mateen back. He is better than anyone else we have that can play the point except for C-Bill. Mateen would also come cheap.