if the orlando pick land at 15 or 16

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by doublead, Mar 16, 2007.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Hey, Buddah, you seem to be pretty high on Mateen. The issue that I am seeing is that Mateen had always been successful on the college and minor league level, but struggled mightily in the NBA. What makes you think that he will do better this time around?

2. mikhail1973

TaShawn, I think it's not fair to compare those two. Kobe is guaranteed to average 30 pts and he will get assists. He's averaged over 5 apg. And he attracts lots of attention making it easier for the other guys on his team. Acker's primary value would be as a shooting guard and I believe he struggled when put at the point. His game is not made to be a point guard. I would love to actuall get someone along the lines of Mateen or Blaylock who can shoot the ball.

3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think mateen is good. He needs to be able to shoot. I think we should bring him in to SL and training camp (again). MAybe its to late to teach an old dog new tricks...but maybe not.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Not fair to compare Acker to Kobe?

Maybe I got a little carried away. Glad I didn't go with my initial plan of using Jordan as an example.

5. mikhail1973

:pound: :pound: :pound:
    I think if we'd have someone Kobe's level that guy would be starting over Rip and we'd be back to search for a back up PG.

6. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Jeff Green please.

7. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Carlos was a late 1st rounder.
    :sssh:

8. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Me too.

9. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

10. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Fo sho.

How far up could we move up if we packaged 15 and 27?

8 ish maybe.

My wish list guys are any of these.

Green
    Brewer (stock up) - Can't see the Suns not taking him or Noah.
    Julian Wright
    Acie Law (stock dropping)
    Georgetown's Center (85% of Oden at 40% the price).
    Byars - Nbadraft.net's prediction sounds like the perfect Tay backup guy.

NBADraft.net - Derrick Byars

Not that Hawes kid, please not that Hawes kid.

11. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

I like the top 3 on your list. With Brewer being the one I like the most too bad his stock jumped so much during the tourney. Our best case scenario would probably get a front court player with the first pick and pick up Brandon Rush (2/3) with our late first round pick, but I have have a feeling his stock will jump too, as the pre-draft workouts get going.

12. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I think that Hawes is legit. He's probably the best low-post scorer in the draft. He's a very solid rebounder, and a more than decent passer. If you must compare him to another white center, then Bogut is a good comparison, except that Hawes has a better post game. He was killing the pac-10 as a freshmen early in the year, but then he caught a nasty virus that dropped his weight from 250 lbs. to 230 lbs. Anyway, I can't see him him dropping all the way to #15.

13. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Not athletic is not a good thing for the Pistons. They have thrived with "swiss army knife" bigs than can guard multiple positions.

I'd be unpleasantly surprised if they even took him at 27.

And I'm a big slow white guy so I'm not being racist.

Does he have the exceptional hands and pseudo small man skills like Bogut does?

Guess that's not a concern...

Video: YouTube - The Young Stars of Husky Basketball
    NBA Comparison: Brad Miller
    Strengths: Hawes is very long and has very good hands. He runs the floor very well for his size. His ball-handling, is fantastic, especially in the open court, as he played a lot of guard before his reaching his full height. Hawes is very smooth on the court, and has a great, soft touch around the basket. He possesses good shooting form, and has range out to three point distance, but is only consistent to about 18 feet. He is very fundamentally sound, with excellent footwork in the post. He will immediately be one of the best passing big men in the country, whether it’s out of the post, double team, in the open court, or on the perimeter. He is a decent shot-blocker, but does position himself well on defense.

Weaknesses: Definitely needs to bulk up more for life in the paint in college. He needs to develop alternate post moves. He lacks great quickness. He will occasionally settle for taking outside shots instead of attacking from the post. His rebounding skills could be improved. Spencer is not an amazing athlete and has trouble with smaller quicker opponents. He could improve his overall defense.

Notes: Hawes chose Washington over North Carolina, Connecticut, and Stanford, among others. He participated in the 2006 McDonalds All-American game. Won a state title as a senior, after somehow not qualifying for the state tournament as a junior with 2005 lottery pick Martell Webster in the lineup with him.

14. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Gotta, Gotta, Gotta^3 get a 2/3 legit backup for Tay.

And some explosiveness.

The pistons really lack dribble penetration and slashing explosion.

15. linwood

linwood All-Star

We won't have to worry about Hawes, because the Sonics will probably take him with their 1st round pick. Then he can sit on the bench with their 4 other young 7 foot tall projects.

The Sonics like rookie centers like the Lions enjoy a nice WR.

16. jetscreamer

jetscreamer First Round Draft Pick

Tiago Splitter a Brazilian in Europe looks to have continuing contract issues. Would he be a Value Pick (football term) at 15 or better yet 2nd first round pick if we let him stay for two more years he will 25 then. Sheed and McDyess should be gone and that is why it might be a good idea.

17. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Anybody know anything about Bellini?

18. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

IMO Delfino can do both of those things just fine. If his shot were more consistent the thought of Detroit drafting a 2/3 would be ludicrous.

Personally I am not happy when I read the scouting report on any of the guys mentioned so far and I see "weaknesses: inconsistent jumper" or "jumpshot needs work" or "streaky shooter"

19. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

But we have to consider that we only have Delfino under contract one more year. Then he could conceivably leave us for more playing time - like others have in the past (Okur, Mike James).

20. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Carlos certainly can do all that but I still see him as more of a tweener 2/3 and more of a 2 than a 3 (which means more mins for Tay) and he doesn't posses the 'elite athleticism' the pistons badly need (mostly due to the knee). and in general they need more explosiveness and ability off the bounce anyways.

Only Tay is a really good finisher on the break amongst the 1,2,3's

I hope the future proves me vastly wrong but I really thought at the trade deadline they were an impact 2/3 away from being finals favorites instead of finals hopefuls.

Losing Miami and Dallas has helped a lot though and Flip Jr, and Dyess rounding into form may be just enough.

I'd be fine with them packaging the 2 picks to move up, (Having an almost Amir level man crush on Brewer right now) although I don't really see it happening. Green is an absolute no brainer to me along with J Wright and to a slightly lesser extent Brandon Rush.