If we resign Monroe and let Stuckey/Charlie V go how much will we have in the off-season?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mark V, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That's the same thing you said about Josh Smith. :)

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.

The Panda and KGREG like this.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Deng gets at least 4 years $50M. At least.
    A thought...... Trade for Pau Gasols expiring. Offer Player X and Jonas.

3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Whoa. If we do that without trading away CV & Stuckey, Joe will have ~$36M to spend in free agency. Do you trust him with that?

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'm done with signing big money FA's. I like trades. They seem to work out better.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.

5. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Who is player X and why do we want Pau Gasol?

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He has a jumpshot.

7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Cause Monroe is a Gasol wannabe, so why not go with the real thing? Who actually sort of defends.

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Possibly Monroe and Jonas.....throw in CV as trade filler. Getting Jonas off the books would be very helpful in helping us get a guy like Luol Deng this summer.

J-Train, The Panda and hitafreethrow like this.
  9. The Panda

Because he is 33 years old and we won't be able to resign him for a reasonable number. Plus his number have been falling off a cliff over the last two years.

10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I guess I could argue that we would have to sign Monroe to a reasonable number too, and that Gasol is the victim of D'antonitis and has a lot good years left in him, that he's a smarter player, a better defender, that he makes the guys around him better, but it ain't happening so I'm not going to bother.

11. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Honestly, comparing Gasol and Monroe is completely naive. Gasol is 5x's the player Monroe is right now. And because of Gasol's style of play, he'll be a great player in this league for another 4 years, which would be a good length of contract. I think it makes sense, sign and trade for both teams. The Lakers can rebuild around Monroe, and the Pistons have a proven big man that compliments Dre's game.

12. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Gasol has a slight edge over Moose right now. He is also 33 years old. This means that by the time we're ready to make a legit run, he'll be 35+.

No thanks.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If we got Gasoft, we'd have to retire the Motor City uniforms.

The Panda and brofmfa like this.
  14. Walter

I don't think trading Monroe for an expiring contract makes sense for us at this point in time. That sort of move (trading away talent to accumulate cap space) is when you're preparing to go all-in during free agency. That's an all-or-nothing gamble move. The current status of our team is not one that would make us that desperate.

Gasol is still a decent player, but the biggest thing he brings to the table right now is his $21M expiring contract.

Mogilny and J-Train like this.
  15. Walter

Speaking of Lakers, other than Kobe and Steve Nash, they have no substantial contracts going past this summer. Essentially that entire team will hit free agency this summer. I wonder if the recruitment is already underway for a certain player to take his talents to Long Beach.

J-Train likes this.
  16. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Monroe simply can't be traded for flexibility.

We need a future "2nd best guy on a championship team" for him.

Anything else is a sucker move... right now.

17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think you have to keep assets on your team so that you can get "that" guy when the opportunity presents itself.

18. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

19. The Panda

Except that:
    - Greg scores more points
    -Greg rebounds more effectively on both ends
    - Greg shoots a higher %
    - Greg steals the ball more often
    - Greg shoots more free throws at a comparable rate

This argument is basically a non starter. The only place where Pau Gasol is 5x the player as Greg Monroe is in his contract cost. Maybe he is better now is at passing and defense. That's it, and in 4 years time he will be a terrible defender and a terrible offensive player based on the pretty solid fall in his stats across the board for the last few years. His midrange game is appalling, which is why last year, the Lakers look absolutely garbage with him facing the basket at 15 feet and playing out of position. 4 years ago, Pau is far and away the better player. Right now, Gasol is playing badly and I would prefer to keep Moose. Oh, and he is a centre, so he will either take minutes from Andre (bad) or play out of position (bad, see last year LAL).

By giving up Moose to get Pau, we are effectively giving away a back to the basket post guy on the rise because the lane is clogged to get an ageing and seriously declining 2nd option who is only effective in the low post with his back to the basket and costs 5x as much. No thank you.

Damn skippy.

This is exactly it. Gasol doesn't put us in contention talks, he just gives us the sweet sweet cap space, which we are doing what with? The only exception to this for me is Luol Deng - only because we can resign him if we get his bird rights and he fills a serious need for us on the wing as a very very solid 2 way player. These are getting rarer.

20. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Your argument has skewed information to make your point, so I'm not going to argue with you here.

The fact of the matter is Moose (IMO) has reached A ceiling. And playing next to Andre Drummond, he's not going to bust thru that ceiling. He's too small to pound the ball for 30 minutes with his back to the basket, he's not athletic enough to beat people from the high post, and he can't make a 15 footer. Not good things.

Now we can hang onto Moose for the rest of the year, and watch the bidding wars ensue. Someone, like Dallas or even the Lakers are going to offer him 14 to 16 million a year...Do we want to pay that for Moose? What are the better options you say?
    Fill the roster with hard nosed, grind it out type, free agents. Guys that don't demand the ball, cause we have enough of those on our team already.
    A trade for Gasol gives us more flexibility, a veteran on a very young team, a player that can play with his back to the basket and is still a willing passer to a hard cutting Drummond!
    I don't know why everyone is so concerned with what position people play? Sure Drummond STARTS at the five, but Gasol would be the one with his back to the basket, we all know Dre doesn't have that game.

The contract argument is weak, cause Moose gonna get his after this year.
    The "statline" argument is weak, because well, Gasol has equally as good of stats, and brings the intangibles like championship and experience.
    The defense argument is laughable, because Moose is horrible at defense right now, as a 4th year player.

Blah blah blah, I could go on and on but my coffee is more important.