If you were building the perfect all-time team..

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 1, 2012.

1. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

If I'm talking about who I think the objective, all-time greatest players are (not my own, personal, favorite would-be all-time great team)...then I think I'd go with:

C: S. O'Neal
    PF: H. Olajuwon

...explaining those who didn't make it:

W. Chamberlain. He was probably a better athlete than both O'Neal and Olajuwon, probably a better defender than both, probably a better rebounder than both. But it's just impossible to know how good of a scorer he would be in the modern era. The best big man he ever went up against - Bill Russell - was SF sized by modern-day standards.

K. Abdul-Jabbar. He, on the other hand, we know would be able to score in the modern era. His sky-hook transcends time, and would still be impossible to defend. Probably at least equal, perhaps even superior to O'Neal and Hakeem in terms of athleticism. But at 7-2, 210lbs...man, he was skinny. I've got to imagine that he'd get pushed around a lot by modern-day bigs and not be quite as effective.

B. Russell. Again, probably a better athlete than both Shaq and Hakeem...but so much smaller. Not sure he'd be able to hang with some of the bigger bigs throughout an entire game. And he was never much of an inside scorer anyways.

M. Malone. Certainly deserves mention here, if you're aware of his accolades (3 MVP's). The greatest offensive rebounder of all-time, and a solid inside scorer...but I just don't think he was on the same level as Shaq or Hakeem in terms of inside scoring, and I don't think he'd be much better, if at all, in the other important area, post-D.

T. Duncan. I hate when I see him over the likes of Hakeem on all-time teams. The best big man on a team IS the C. Duncan was a PF bc the spurs had a HoF-er at C. Ever since Robinson left, he's more or less been their C. The positional assignment between PF and C is really irrelevant. And I don't think there's anything Duncan brought to a team that Shaq and Hakeem didn't bring better.

Robinson, Malone, Barkley, etc. All behind Duncan, who didn't make it on this team, IMO.

D. Howard/K. Love. I wanted to take all the current 'best at their positions' into consideration. D. Howard, to me, is basically a worst-case W. Chamberlain, so there's no sense in taking him. Love, wouldn't even stand up to Malone I don't think.
  2. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

SF: L. James
    SG: M. Jordan

...explaining those who didn't make it.

L. Bird. Greatest outside shooter of all-time. One of the greatest ever intangible-wise. But in the modern-day game, LeBron would just destroy him. And it's not even close. He is the size of Karl Malone and has the athleticism and skill-set of Michael Jordan. He'd defend him like no one else ever did and make him a much less effective scorer. He'd out muscle and out rebound the hell out of him. He'd absolutely destroy him on the offensive end with overpowering strength, speed and skill. Like I said, it's not even close. And LeBron's already got as many MVP's as Bird (should have more already), and will probably end up with more than MJ and Kareem.

K. Durant. I considered him, of course. He's almost 7-feet tall and he might be the quickest and most skilled player in the game today. He's a once in a life-time freak, for sure. But LeBron and MJ are quite the stiff competition.

K. Bryant. Just a lesser version of MJ, IMO.

J. Erving. Just a lesser version of Kobe, IMO.
  3. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

PG: M. Johnson.

...explaining those who didn't make it.

J. West. Somewhat surprisingly, he's actually the one other player I seriously considered over Magic for this spot - because there's something he could do better than Magic, SHOOT. Not a true point though, and all the experts seem to be in complete agreement that Magic is the best point ever...so I've gotta concede.

O. Robertson. Didn't really consider anyone other than West, but I'll at least mention Big O. All the experts seem to be unanimous in their agreement of Magic being the best ever and Oscar being the second best ever. Gotta concede, as I never got to see either in their prime.

I. Thomas. Probably the best true-TRUE point guard in the game's history. But even the biggest bad boy fans would probably agree that Magic brought more to the court.

D. Rose. I'll mention him because he is, IMO, the best athlete to ever play the position. But that's about all there is to mention of him in this conversation.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Look how high Russell is off the floor. You could ask the same questions about Rodman and Big Ben.

This is what Russell looked like without weight training.

Wilt, Alcindor/Kareem, Walton and even a Parish would give Shaq as much trouble as he gave them.
  5. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

Objective all-time 15-man team

C: S. O'Neal, W. Chamberlain, M. Malone
    PF: H. Olajuwon, K. Abdul-Jabbar, B. Russell
    SF: L. James, L. Bird/K. Durant
    SG: M. Jordan, K. Bryant, J. Erving
    PG: M. Johnson, O. Robertson, J. West

HC: C. Daly

There we go. :)
  6. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

Shaq and Hakeem handled some great modern-day C's. HofF-ers. Eachother. D. Robinson. P. Ewing. Mutombo. Duncan. Malone. etc. All Wilt had to deal with was Russell. And Russell was SF-sized.

Think Shaq or Hakeem would've been able to score 100 points if a 215lb Rodman was the biggest player in the entire league?
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I wonder who they had booked for the halftime show. That arena was packed.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

(Clear the stage for old man Ernie to shuffle out...)
    No lie, back in the mid-70's my mother used to take me to Celtics games in the Boston Garden and they used to have the Harlem Globetrotters play after the Celtics games so people would sit through the Celtics games.

This was a few years after they won 11 straight titles or whatever it was in a rabid sports city.

I feel like George Blaha could spin that into a positive for the Pistons.
  9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Russell getting that much vert while running in Chuck Taylors too!
    I sprain my ankle grocery shopping in those things.
  10. BallDon'tLie

Dude, THANK YOU for the awesome tattoo idea!
    I just booked an appointment to get this Air Bud/KaZammertime piece inked on my left forearm.

...my wife is gonna be so stoked!
    linwood likes this.
  11. BallDon'tLie

In absolute seriousness, THIS pic WOULD make an awesome tattoo.
  12. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

who is that russell's trying to block? Looks tall
  13. BallDon'tLie

Wilt
    ...Philadelphia Warriers
  14. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

wow, didn't realize he was that skinny
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He had a very active lifestyle.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  16. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Wilt sold mattresses' for a living after he retired.
    Or maybe he kept buying them. :)
  17. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

Let's get back to the topic at hand, who are the greatest NBA players of all-time?

I think..

C: S. O'Neal. When I look at pictures of Wilt and Russell (like the one above), and I notice that Shaq is much thicker than both of them put together, I just think "no way." No way could either of those guys ever stopped him. I'm sure they were both great in their own right - probably the best defenders/rebounders ever at the position - but, no way. It also doesn't help that neither were particularly skilled scorers.

PF: H. Olajuwon. Toughest call I had to make was Hakeem over Kareem. First of all, let me address this first. I don't care if he is "technically" the greatest PF of all-time. Tim Duncan was never on the same level as these two. Perhaps not even on the same level as Moses Malone. Just because none of them played alongside hall-of-fame centers (making them "power-forwards"), I'm not leaving them out of this conversation. Now, Kareem's got allllll the accolades in the world, almost literally. But at 7-2, 210lbs, I seriously wonder how he'd be able to handle some of the true POWER forward's of today's game. Not as well as Hakeem I don't think. And though he didn't shoot as often, the Dream was arguably just as talented offensively.

SF: L. James. This is a hard question for some people, for some reason!? Just imagine Larry Bird trying to guard LeBron. "No way." And imagine Larry tr[FONT=Calibri]ying to have his wa[FONT=Calibri]y out there with LeBron guarding him..? Larr[FONT=Calibri]y might've been the greatest intangibles pla[FONT=Calibri]yer of all-time (clutch, toughness, leadership, etc.). But he's just not on LeBron's level - who alread[FONT=Calibri]y has as man[FONT=Calibri]y MVP awards, should have at least one more, and will probabl[FONT=Calibri]y end up with more than an[FONT=Calibri]yone when it's all said and done. Arguabl[FONT=Calibri]y the greatest athlete to ever pla[FONT=Calibri]y the game. Arguabl[FONT=Calibri]y the most skilled pla[FONT=Calibri]yer to ever pla[FONT=Calibri]y the game. Arguabl[FONT=Calibri]y the most ph[FONT=Calibri]ysicall[FONT=Calibri]y imposing to ever pla[FONT=Calibri]y the game (size and speed). Done and done.

SG: M. Jordan. No question here.

PG: M. Johnson. Again, no question here.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
  18. BallDon'tLie

I (yeah, me) could stop Shaq 6 times each and every game.
    I think the likes of Kareem, Russell & Wilt could hold their own.
  19. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

The best big men the NBA had to offer of the 90's and 00's certainly couldn't.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Wilt Chamberlain wasn't a gifted scorer?