im done wih the pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by doublead, Jan 10, 2008.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I think that frustration comes from seeing the same 5 game in and game out for several years just occupying the floor. Many ready for some kind of change. We would like to keep winning, but many doubt that winning can continue without developing the bench and with starters putting all the minutes in and getting tired, which was obvious in the 3rd quarter.
  2. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lovin the sarcasm fellas. Funny stuff. :pound:

Another example of 'fans' getting confused about whether they follow a team or a player. See you in May dude!

I think doublead tweaked his Stuckey tendon.

But I also think people decide to overlook the fact we have rested the starters in more games than we've rode them compared to the past. This was one game. If it becomes a trend then we can all start becoming concerned.

I'd like to see some of these unhappy 'fans' meet a Clippers or T-Wolves fan. They have had 1 or 2 seasons of success in the last decade. Maybe they are just recent fans who have never experienced a bad season supporting this team.

Someone find this guy some game tapes from 1993...
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Same ol' Flip. Nothing really changes. We should fire Flip and hire Obama, he's all about CHANGE.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

The Pistons wanted to snap their losing streak. This game was all about winning for the coach. Sheed stated that the win wasn't necessary though. I thought it was the perfect time to give the starters a BREAK and let them see how the youngins would do in this situation. About 32 minutes tops for each starter would have told us a lot about our team. Sheed feels that even with a 5-6 game losing streak that the team is loose enough not to mope with a setback like that. He stated that he sees us in the Finals this season.................For last night anyways, winning was more important than game experience for the rookies, ect.......
  5. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Flip continues to send all the wrong messages. The starters play like crap for 2 games (ESPECIALLY last night), and it's the 2 rookies that get the punishment. It's his way of deflecting the blame of the 2 losses off of him and onto the young guys. Classic move for a coward. He'll probably even pull out the classic "Sacrifice wins to develop the bench" line despite the fact that it was the starters, not the bench, that blew the games against Boston and Dallas.

I wouldn't have had a problem if Stuckey tweaked his hand against Dallas and decided to sit him out against San An, but he played in the first half.

I almost hate the fact that this team wins so much in the regular season. It makes it virtually impossible to fire Flip. It's like we've got to sacrifice another year before Joe can justify it. But it's clear that he has no idea what he's doing.

As for Lindsey, we all know what he is and what he isn't. He has been on this roster the last 5 years as the backup PG, and the only year when we weren't in desperate need for a replacement was in 2004, when Mike James was on the team. Once in a while he'll have a good game and help us win, but he's bad more than he's good. The bench was just starting to come around with a PG that can penetrate at will and move the ball, but it's clear where we're headed. Rodney is not going to get a legitimate shot at being an impact player late in the year, and this will be virtually the same team we've put out there the last 2 years.
  6. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I noticed but I wasn't able to stay up for the Trophy Presentation. Which Piston was the first to get his hands on it. Was it Sheed or Lindsey for beingthe MVP?

:stirthepot:
  7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I don't agree with either prediction. Stuckey has played quite a bit in almost every game since he came back from his injury, until last night, which arguably had a perfect storm of reasons to reduce his minutes for that one game: he tweaked his ankle a couple of days ago, he apparently aggravated the hand injury a bit last night, and they were staring at a three-game losing streak in a tough game on the road where Lindsey could possibly have an impact. Considering all those factors together, I see no reason to assume that Stuckey will be relegated to single digit minutes by the end of the year.

And it's not the same team as the last two years. No Nazr, no Webber (it certainly seems), no Flip Jr., no more Lindsey as the primary back up point, JMax is unquestionably in the rotation (which we've been screaming for the previous two years), one rookie has been getting consistent minutes, and another rookie has been getting at least spot minutes pretty consistently.

That doesn't mean all the problems are solved--of course we want Amir to play to develop his talents and to have a more reliable backup option if one of the three big men get in foul trouble, the offense still seems prone to jacking up bad Js for long stretches, etc. Lots more to work on, sure. But it's NOT the same team as the past two years, and if you want to predict it will be by the time the playoffs roll around, fine, but I'll stick with my take on the situation.
  8. Delfino Delivers

So D4E; do you feel that was a "Must Win" game last night? Is that the reason that AA, Hayes, Fabio and to a lesser extent Amir shouldn't have gotten off the pine with a 20 point lead and the starters logging major minutes?
  9. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I would have liked for AA to get a few minutes, and though Tay stayed on the floor in the second quarter for longer than I would have liked, Hayes ended up getting a decent number of minutes anyway by the end of the game. Not sure why you think Fabio needed to see the floor.

I'm fine with the starters having played the entire first quarter (something we usually complain about when it happens) because they were KILLING the Spurs and extending the lead on pretty much every possession. Disrupting your team's crazy hot momentum just for the sake of subbing is not what I would consider to be good coaching. There could have been some more subbing in the third quarter when the minutes had already piled up and the offense was stagnating very badly, but they were still playing very good D, so that's a little less worthy of criticism than when they stay out there despite playing poorly on both ends (at which point they should clearly be taken out).

So yes, everything could still be better--the players, Flip's rotations, etc. But it's January, not April. I still maintain that the general trends are clearly better than they were at this point last year, and this was one game I very badly wanted them to win no matter what. I don't see much reason to be upset about it.
  10. Delfino Delivers

I guess I can buy that. The only reason I would have liked to see Fabio is because he played decent the game before and we had a 20 point lead. Not because I am overly in love with his game.
  11. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Wait a minute, are you actually saying that...we agree? That I've...convinced you? What kind of forum is this?!

:gun1: :angrysoapbox: :starwars:
  12. mikhail1973

I think what people are saying is that "rest" time for starters comes mainly in the blowouts which affect average time they spend on the floor. In the close games they are still out there 35+ minutes and looking tired by the 3rd quarter without sufficient rest.
  13. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Well, I'm not sure they were all that tired in the 3rd quarter last night. Yes, they reverted back to bad habits on offense, but I'd except to see fatigue kicking in first on the defensive end, yet they still locked down the Spurs quite well in that quarter (only 19 points given up).
  14. mikhail1973

How many layups did Spurs blow? How many wide open shots they missed? It wasn't necessarily just Pistons D, although it was great I'll admit to that. And Pistons only scored 13 in that quarter. I guess my question would be - why do they go through those spells where they don't have any movement and jack up forced long jumpers? Is that because they are tired or because they are trying to concerve energy since they know they'll be in at the end? What could be another explanation?
  15. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I'm not too sure why it happens, and like I said above, the crap offense that quarter might have called for some subbing. But on the other hand, their D was still going pretty strong, so that lended itself to the hope that they might snap out of it on offense and build on the good D to get the lead back up to where it was before. Didn't quite happen, but the damage done wasn't too bad in the end, and then Lindsey sparked things to erase a lot of that while he was out there.
  16. mikhail1973

But that's how Pistons lost to Cavs. Everyone was waiting for the offense to snap out of it and it just never happened. Their D was good for the most part, except that game where LBJ went off. That is what is worrying.
  17. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Well, the offense was there when they needed it last night, wasn't it? They outscored the Spurs by 1 in the 4th quarter. When you've got a 9 point lead after 3, that's good enough. They played lousy offense for one quarter, not for an entire half, and certainly not for the entire game!
  18. Delfino Delivers

EXACTLY! I want my coach to be proactive. If what he or the team is currently doing is not working; make a change. Don't keep waiting for the snap. Sometimes I think that is why he doesn't sub in the first. He is "waiting" for the starters to get in the groove. Inevitibly they will; it's just that in most cases we may not have to wait so long if he makes a quick sub. In some instances it takes 8 minutes for them to groove. Those are the times he figures they might as well play the whole first; there is "only" 4 minutes left.
  19. Chandragupta

Chandragupta First Round Draft Pick

I don't think that is true. As the announcers even pointed out last night, the reason Stuckey was taken out last night was because of his hand. They mentioned when he would dribbled to the right sidelines, he had no way of escaping traps because his left hand was not strong enough to dribble out of them last night.

In a close game such as this one, I'm not going to risk playing a one-handed point guard. Stuck has been playing in 15-20 minutes a game prior to this one - he's becoming an essential bench player who is used in every game. Flip constantly gives him direct compliments about his playing (Unlike Amir).

I'm just really not worried about Flip keeping him on the bench. I think he's here to stay.
  20. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I'm not sure that being up double digits on the world champs' home floor while still playing good defense (i.e. the situation in the third quarter last night) really counts as "not working." I mean, there's not working, and then there's not working, you know?