1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

im done wih the pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by doublead, Jan 10, 2008.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Home court advantage.

:hoops:

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    It didn't help 2 years in a row, what makes you think it'll be a difference this year?

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought you were done with the pistons. :pound:

4. mikhail1973

Hey, Laimbs, you're nitpicking. Stop it. :MusicBigGrin:

5. BillLaimbeer

The home court advantage helped in 4 series over the last 2 years.

6. BillLaimbeer

The title of this thread is "im done wih the pistons". :)

7. mikhail1973

If the starters are worn out it won't matter where they play, I think that series against Cavs proved that. They played Boston at home and struggled. I know that having home court advantage never hurts, but not at the expense of burning out the team. Let Boston run their players into the ground. I'll take rested starters and dependable bench any day over the home court, especially since it may take well over 60 wins to get the home court.

8. CHS Ace 12

CHS Ace 12 First Round Draft Pick

ummm jeez if ur a real fan ull watch no matter what

9. doublead

doublead First Round Draft Pick

i am done with the pistons but that dont mean i wont check the box score to see if flip is developing his bench

stuckey played but how can he do anything when hes on the floor with rip and tay the guy can be wide open at times and they wont pass him the ball

he got fouled going to the rack but didnt get the call thats because he have to get consisent playing time and he wont develope as long as rip is on the team because rip is an ball hog when stuckey is on the floor with him rip will not pass him the ball. in my mind rip be playing for stats trying to make the all star team

10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I want that # 2 seed. I know it sounds stupid, but one i'm superstitious (sp?); 2/ I think we play better on the road; Also i feel like when they have hc they are lackadaisical thinking well we'll just win at home 3/ I agree with the rested starters/developed bench theory; 4/ I think the 2 seed is where the favorable match-up will be if the Cavs step up like i think they will.

The only real benefit to HC i can think of is home-cooking (which we don't seem to get much), and the bench playing alot better at home which would be a major selling point if i thought the bench was actually going to play big minutes.

It's too early to tell, but #1 seems like a possibility w/ BOS slipping. I want them to win, but then i don't LOL

11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Flip threw Stuckey in down the stretch in Toronto. He put Afflalo in on key defensive positions. Flip has done better than he has in the past, but I am disappointed in Amir getting no playing time. As someone mentioned before this team is not a lottery team, so you are not going to see the team play a lot of young guys all the time.

12. doublead

doublead First Round Draft Pick

well why draft these guys if you are not going to play them atleast ship them out for someone you will play flip seems to think that five guys can win a game with out help from there bench and thats why we lost the last two years and we are not gonna win it this year

13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm with ya, buddy!

14. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You really think you can get a decent rotation player in exchange for the 56th pick in the draft?

The fact he was drafted that late and is still on the team is a bonus in itself.

15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Wasn't Ginobli a late pick? as well as Barbosa; Maxiell among others.

AA was picked late and he definitely IS a rotation player (or should be). Flip's inability to manage the bench has nothing to do with lack of talent.

16. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

All home court advantage means to me is that our team will have this relentless pressure to win more games than the Celtics and that Flip will have a justification for his "coaching scared" defect. He can stay in his comfort zone of really just wanting the Best Starting Four to win every game. Every game could be just like tonight's as we march to our goal: HCA. I want him to expand the bench's role as we go forward through the rest of the season not pare it back more.

Oh also Home Court Advantage makes me think that we'll lose in Game 6 of a series.

Listen does anyone remember this? In a courtside interview after a win, maybe even the last win for the Ship, Tim Duncan was asked (I'm broadly paraphrasing this, I may have taped it but not sure) what makes the Spurs so dominant at playoff time. He said "Pop uses the whole regular season to find out everything we need to know about our team." A totally different approach, eh? It's like Pop is doing a mad scientist laboratory experiment with his ingredients to come up with something that works for the playoffs. That's why they drive me crazy and I call them the Dastardly Spurs. Because they don't look like they should be that good, but they are in their painstakingly disciplined execution.

All of this make me miss Larry "Play the Right Way" Brown soooo much. Sigh.

I hate the push for HCA. Hate it. I'm sorry, didn't the Celts just beat us at the Palace. Didn't we beat them on the road? :)And didn't the Spurs have to play Denver, Utah and Phoenix last season because of their seed in the West?:) And aren't they the oldest team in the NBA or something?:) I rest my case.

What matters is proper preparation, not some crutch of HCA which Flip has to resort to pursuing in the hopes it will somehow mitigate his poor playoff coaching. But to be a little fair (yuck) I do remember that Flip's first year it was our starters who were all fixated on HCA because of losing in game 7 to SA the year before.

Does anyone think that SA is getting ready to make a big push for HCA? I think not. Let's be a grown up mature team that believes it can win from any seed, at home or not. That's who I want us to be.

Re the thread title. I'm not done with the Pistons. I love them. However, I can't wait for the Flip era to be yesterday's newspaper and if Joe extends him more years, I will truly be horrified.

17. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

:cheerlie-GOAL:

Just to add: Flip is a playoff choker. No use sugarcoating anything. Also, when the players came back for training camp the year after we won 64 games, Chauncey pretty much chastised Flip for pushing too hard for HCA. And, there was an article recently where Rip said, and I'm paraphrasing here: "We've had guys who can score on the bench the last couple years, but they never played." After the win in SA, Sheed said that if they'd gone on a 3-game streak, it wouldn't have made them lose confidence or anything because they're a veteran team. Doesn't sound like a team that's necessarily inclined to pursue HCA, does it? And I think the starters want the young guys to play because they know they can help. So, it's all on Flippy not using his bench. He just seems to keep finding new and dumber ways to "prove" that his bench sucks and he has to play his "best starting five" to the point of exhaustion.
    He can't adjust, the players don't respect him, he can't control them. For example: Sheed is late for a game. He gets benched as "punishment". What happens? Sheed comes off the bench during the game, and after, he gets a good laugh out of "getting punished" along with Chauncey. Doesn't sound like they care what he thinks, does it?
    So, what use is he really? I mean, it's clear in his post game comments that he could see what was going wrong on the floor, but all he does during the game is stand there and twitch. And then he makes a joke of it. :gun1::lame:
    One last thing: When was the last time the number 1 seed in either conference made it to the Finals? I don't remember that happening once in the last 5 or so years. I'd rather just let the Celtics have that seed, since we've proven we can win on other teams' home floor anyway.

18. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

The numbers are heavily skewed by the fact the team with homecourt is usually the better team. When the teams are even, I'm sure it's very close.
    IMO, we're better off without HCA regardless of who gets developed or not. Despite what these guys might say, they do start feeling the pressure when they're favored to win and things get tight. They are at their best when no one thinks they have a shot.

Another reason I prefer not having HCA in a tough series is that the first 2 games are on the road. The road team's got nothing to lose, and the home team has nothing to win. They win 2 at home, and all they've done is hold serve. They lose 1 or even 2 of those games, and the momentum is a killer. All the pressure is on the "favored" team, and the team with HCA.

And regardless of what History in general has shown. The only times THIS team has gotten to the finals is when they haven't had HCA. Both times they've had it, they lost.

19. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I'm the one who kept saying to give Flip til February to start working in the youth. He's working in others, but not Amir. I get the feeling that Flip Just doesn't think he'll be able to contribute by the playoffs. I now see him not being on the playoff roster, and instead, we just carry somebody like Hunter. I am not sure why he hasn't gotten the game time. Wish I was a fly on the wall during practices.

20. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

however you are comparing them to last years overall mins not game to game mins.... i was going back over some box scores and we had lots of games where we had 3 starters playing 40 plus mins, and that is a thing of the past for the most part. Are we happy with the mins, nope.... but we are moving in the right direction.

The question is will it be enough?