In Defense of Rodney Stuckey or You Guys Don't Have a Clue

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DET313, Apr 16, 2010.

1. max

max All-Star

Yes and that's the most frustrating thing with him. In those situations does not even look to see if there is someone to pass out to. We have a lot of guys who can hit open shots on this team, that's one thing that was never lacking.

2. DET313

DET313 Second Round Draft Pick

Good points. The thing about Bynum though is that he is a 27 year old second year NBA player. Playing in Israel, the D League and 15 games in the NBA really helped him get a grip on things as far as the professional game goes. Not being drafted after being leading his NCAA team to the championship probably also led to a fire under his ass.

You know, I'm not so sure having someone like D.Wade at PG is such a bad idea. The guy averages way more points, not to mention more assists than 75% of the PG's in the league.

But lets get real. Stuckey isn't as good as Wade. Just like you guys said, he'll never be an allstar at the 2.

He needs to develop his mid-range shot and a drop step. He's only 23 so it's something he could add to his game over a year. I'll give him three more seasons then he'd be done for me.

It's also extremely difficult being a guard, PG or SG without some kind of inside presence to be a threat offensively. You have no spacing and it makes it difficult to find passing lanes.

We've got NOTHING for an inside game. 64% of our points in the paint this year were scored by our guards.

I personally think anyone asking to draft another guard this year is out of their minds. If you draft another guard you're going to end up with another rehash of this year regardless of who's at point.

If you were to put Chris Paul or Deron Williams on this team, this year;I don't think our record would have changed by more than 5 games positive.

We have absolutely ZERO big men. We need a true center and we need one fast.

3. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Welcome to the board 313. I also am a native detroiter, born, bred and fed on the upper northwest sides of the D.

I am from the old school Dave Bing days of pistons basketball and have seen PG's come and go.

Very nice post, however, I really don't see Stuckey as a Pure PG. Whether or not he posseses the instincutal ability to become a pure PG is yet to be seen.

I think his skills are not when the ball is in his hands and if you look carefully, he doesn't posssess good court vision which is so very critical.

I have to agree that Larry Brown turned Billups into a very good PG (not excellent) becuase he too had some deficiencies playing PG. Maybe my criteria for what I consider a pure point is antiquated and outdated, but I am just not feeling Stucky as that guy.

The best case scenario would probably get a Greg Monroe type or another big with great passing ability and using Daye with the right combinations as a point forward.

We may in fact go another year without that pure PG.

4. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

good post!!!

BUt is he going to be a point guard or a number SG? they need to decipher that before we can move on and get our winning ways!!!

5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

You can have it both ways, with some realistic thinking. First get yourself a PG (Bynum off bench) because you don't have one and Chucky proves that. Second, Gordon starts at the SG and that is why is is paid in millions, until proved other wise. This means that Stuckey and Bynum alternate getting at least 25 minutes as players coming off the bench. Even with injuries, you are now covering the 1-2 spots. This one addition adds tremendous flexibility at the position, which works best in the financial realm and allows additional effort to concentrate on your other problem areas.

6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No doubt, a new starting PG and I feel real good about our backcourt. I like Gordon starting with Bynum/Stuckey coming off the bench. Rip definitely needs to go. Chucky can stay if he's in street clothes.

7. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I don't think Gordon needs to start. He's been an effective player off the bench in the 6th man role his entire career (until this year).

I definitely don't think he can play effectively sharing so many of his minutes going to Hamilton/Bynum. We've seen that this year. Someone has to be moved.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

His salary demands he starts. The cap is shrinking.

9. max

max All-Star

Thats what I have been saying. You don't pay a guy 11 mil/per to come off the bench. Unless you are the Knicks.

10. pass99

Exactly. JD went after Gordon for one reason only that will light up a combination board: youth, talent and someone to build around. Gordon is not only a singular key for this build, but is the double side edge of JD's alter ego. The guards make it happen. Once you understand this, then you go after someone who coaches the opposite way and a mold thus separates its' halves into something whole.

11. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I don't start players based on the salary they make.

And the shrinking cap ordeal is played out. It's not even going to shrink as much as the league initially thought.

12. pass99

Berger Blog:

Stern: '10-'11 cap could be $56 million

Posted on: April 16, 2010 2:45 pm
    Edited on: April 16, 2010 3:33 pm

NEW YORK -- At the end of a typically mundane summary of the NBA's two-day Board of Governors meeting, commissioner David Stern dropped a bombshell of sorts Friday. And it means that teams chasing 2010 free agents will have considerably more money to spend than they thought.

Based on a more optimistic revenue picture than the league was projecting as recently as All-Star weekend, Stern said the revised projection for the 2010-11 salary cap is $56.1 million. That's significantly higher than last summer's estimate of between $50.4 million and $53.6 million -- figures that were floated last summer in a doomsday memo to teams that warned of a league-wide revenue decline of between 2.5 percent and 5 percent.

Teams that have been clearing cap space to pursue marquee free agents like LeBron James and Dwyane Wade this summer -- such as the Knicks, Nets, Bulls, Heat and Clippers -- have spent much of the season budgeting on a $52 million cap in '10-'11, which would've been a nearly $6 million drop from this season's payroll limit of $57.7 million. The reason for the healthier figure was what Stern called a "Herculean effort" by teams to prop up ticket and sponsorship sales that were hit by the recession.

Stern said "it's pretty clear" that although revenue will still be down from last season, the drop will "not be as much as we feared at the beginning of the season."

One of the people most affected by the revised financial picture, Knicks president Donnie Walsh, was sitting in the second row of Stern's news conference when the announcement was made. Walsh, who already was figuring on having enough cap space to sign two max free agents for about $32 million, now has more flexibility.

It will be most interesting to see how the first domino (NY) will fall. After this will be a mad scramble and a complexity mess. Most think that little air currents won't affect the butterfly pattern. The best solution is to play out scenario building around three main components before this happens: Draft, MLE and S/T.

Believe this or not, but I think that someone like Q would be a big help in this area. He has good analytics and anyone watching his (time-out plays) can see the many weaknesses he understands about the game. Scenario building should include him.

I know that JD has been exposed to this and for the rest go here:
    Amazon.com: 0471966398: Books

13. pass99

Ah yes...and please let us all be advised in the organizational/financial world; that little is accomplished by love letters or hate mail from the fan base. The only fellow I ever saw take most his clothes off (before leaving the arena) was AI...which was always duly noted.

14. max

max All-Star

The problem with that is say Stuckey is the starting SG then his agent is probably going to demand that he at least gets what BG is getting since his guy is starting. Things like that can snow ball and you end up over paying or losing players.

15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Or cause friction and disharmony....guys gotta feed their families, you know...

16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Well, Stuckey is one of the better players on the team (arguably the best player on the team) so I can understand it if he feels he should be compensated for as well as Hamilton, Gordon and Prince have been.

Ultimately, the market will determine a player's worth. Unfortunately, Joe overpaid for Gordon (and Hamilton and Prince, but neither reached free agency, so I suppose we don't know what other teams would have offered them).

17. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I dont think Joe overpaid for Prince at all. At the time, he was a top-tier 3, one of the best shut down defenders in the league. League champion, and went on to win a gold medal. Tay's leadership abilities are greater than his abilities on the court as well, IMO.

18. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Agreed.

19. pass99

Hmmm. I think this is half right. Tay's intellectual abilities are greater than his abilities on the court as well, IMO

20. pass99

Excellent points. This is going to happen. Next year will be a bonus one for Stuckey. I worry about past history with JD's treatment of these situations. Stuckey is a substitute at the one and then again, another substitute at the two. He is getting a wonderful chance to pad his reputation (which IMO is higher than it should be: but this is good)) and we all had a long look at his potential at a bonus price. Time to move on and everyone wins.