In Defense of Rodney Stuckey or You Guys Don't Have a Clue

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DET313, Apr 16, 2010.

1. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe just loves to overpay players; he overpaid Billups (I remember there was no market for Billups and he still got a very nice contract), RIP (same es for CB, even worse) and BG. He'll overpay Stuckey too instead of letting him go for nothing.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe certainly has made some mistakes, but I don't think over-paying his players is a big problem. The Pistons ranked 25th in the NBA in team salary last year.

In fact, 10 of the top 11 highest payroll teams made the playoffs:

1. Lakers
    2. Dallas
    3. Boston
    5. Cleveland
    6. Orlando
    7. San Antonio
    8. Denver
    9. Phoenix
    10. Utah
    11. Miami
    14. Chicago
    16. Charlotte
    19. Milwaukee
    22. Atlanta
    28. Oklahoma City
    30. Portland
  3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

so you think the contracts of RIP, JMax and CB are reasonable? Given the situation that there was no market for CB (which he got rid of) and RIP?
    Assuming from your list, I see that the Pistons have a cheap roster and still no money left for big FA for years to come. Something's terribly wrong.
  4. BillLaimbeer

The Pistons have nose-dived since CB left. Perhaps a good PG is worth some cash.

Maxiel is making $5 million. He is somewhat pathetic, but there are guys even patheticker making more than $5 million.

I'm not a Rip fan, so I couldn't argue that he is worth $11-$12 million. The fact that we cannot trade him shows that he is definitely overpaid.

I agree, though. Something's terribly wrong. :nerd2:
  5. TWOTIMESRALPHI

CB is definetely a gread PG and was, besides Ben and Sheed the most important player on this team. But still - at the time he became a FA, there was no market for him. So you don't have to pay him much more than others and as far as I remember, he got no real offer back then. Anyways, that's not that important.
    JMax is overpaid, but I like him and he has shown that he can be big if given the chance. Biggest issue is RIP. There are dozens of SGs in this league so I wonder why JoeD had to give him that much especially as he was not as important as CB.

To sum it up; Detroit has a cheap and weak roster AND no cap space for the next seasons - how can that be? I don't understand the cap space thing; but I think JoeD does so what did he do to create such a situation?
  6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

While you may be right we were bidding against nobody, if you low ball your players you get a rep and nobody will want to play here (not that it can get much worse with the players). For all we complain about Joe, players around the league... even those that have never played for us respect Joe.

An overpaid contract is one you can't move when you decide to make a trade. Joe was able to move CB when he wanted, thus I'll argue he didn't overpay. We will see if Joe wants to move Rip and how hard it is to move that contract, but thats to be seen yet.

If you want to think Joe overpays what do you call some of these GM's and there contracts they throw out to players who have done nothing and then do nothing?
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Joe's goodwill isn't paying off. He's been doing favors for players since '04 and the only reciprocation I've seen was Dyess being suckered into an extra year.

Even Ben Wallace badmouthed him when he left.
  8. raxrets

raxrets Starter

players dictate salaries in NBA, not GMs. End of story.

Ben Wallace - if you do not pay me, I'll leave.

ok, maybe atikns type players are available cheaply, but certainly not others.
  9. TWOTIMESRALPHI

yeah I heard alot about that reputation thing and the way I see it, there's no benefit from players "respecting Joe". Good point about CB, you seem to be right. RIP - no, since Joe tried to trade him last year (no way he was content with 2 SG's, maybe 3 if you count Stuckey that deserve to start). We'll see if he manages to get rid of him next year. I tend to think he over-evaluates his players. Think about it - we could have Rondo on this team, plus an off-the books coming Ray Allen!
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Rondo, Stuckey and Bengo would be a sick backcourt.
  11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I don't believe Joe has ever tried to trade Rip. It's all wishful thinking on our part.
  12. raxrets

raxrets Starter

actually - Joe was willing to listen to offers but he did not shop Rip.
  13. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

You say potato, I say solanum tuberosum.
  14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:winner_first_h4h:
  15. TWOTIMESRALPHI

I prefer sticking to my wishful thinking because if he didn't, I'd have to call for his head
  16. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Having Rondo, no matter who else, would be SICK..

I'm looking at him these last few games in the Boston-Miami clash.

And What I Saw got me thinking, that if Boston gets to the finals and wins it, Rondo must be MVP of the finals.

Man, the guy can defend excellent, he is quick, has a great cort vision, and, we all know this, he got no 3 point shoot, or Mid-range shoot.

But if we could put him with Stuckey as a Shooting Guard, Daye - Jerebko - Draft Pick (If lottery doesn't help us: Ed Davis? Greg Monroe?)

I'm willing to give Boston (i know it's impossible) Ben Gordon + Hamilton + Maxiell + CV in exchange of Rondo and some first round picks or some players to equals sallaries. (I repeat, I know it's impossible)..

OR maybe we can trade stuckey to another team.. it would be hard, because Stuckey will play better in other team playing the SG wiht a good PG who manage the ball very well, so, in a few months we will be like.. "Hey Joe, why you trade him?"
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I've been on the Rondo bandwagon for about a year. He's like Stuckey that he is a power 1. The difference between Stuckey and Rondo, is that Rondo has a way higher gear on defense and does all of the little things pretty well.

However, if you got Rondo and Stuckey, or Rondo OR Stuckey, you need to have a very good 3 point shooter, which Gordon is. And because Rondo and Stuckey are so big, they can cover up for Gordon on defense.
  18. max

max All-Star

Let's hope Boston loses in the 2nd round then so they will be more open to trading Rhondo.
  19. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

Im not really a stuckey fan but BG and CV are overpaid bumms
  20. BillLaimbeer

I'd like to see those bumms play a season 100% healthy and we can see if they really are bumms.