In Defense of Rodney Stuckey or You Guys Don't Have a Clue

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DET313, Apr 16, 2010.

1. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Pistons G Gordon has successful ankle surgery - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

me too..... gordon was too good for to many years to take this last year as what we have.

CV? not sold on him being a starter here ever, but as a weapon off the bench he can help us.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I like Gordon a lot. He's a game changer. The problem is, he is on a horrible squad. The same excuses people use for Stuckey could be applied to Gordon, except Gordon doesn't get the ball as much, doesn't get as many minutes, and was more injured.

CV on the other hand, is really bad.

3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with this. It went so far I almost got a feeling of sickness everytime CAS entered the game during the second half of the season which I didn't do when Gordon played.

4. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Stuckey or Ben need to go, plus RIP. I think Stuckey has more value right now than BenGo and hence, should be the one to be traded. He will be a very good 2 guard in this league, but although I like the initial post, he simply isn't a PG. Stuckey became one, but we have to realize that CB was an exception - most PG's, if they're good, are already good when they enter the league and improve from then on. But Stuckey has been pretty good at the 2 and did a bad job at the 1. Plus, he has no shot and is not a floor general. CB always had the shot.

5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

No argument here.

6. pass99

Good post.

7. Mogilny

Not even the most subjective Pistons fan can claim that Stuckey is Rondo class, right? I like Stuck but Rondo is one of the top PG:s today, maybe even top 3.

8. pass99

Ainge is not stupid. Rondo is a flippant type and he surely knows this. Ainge has experience a whole different type of mission and the reverse does not translate into Rondo's perspective.

The pitch to Rondo: you grow only when responsibility is heavy upon you and why not look too similar personalities to reflect a collective mission.

In the mirror: Rondo and Gordon.

Now with this, you select potential pieces that have faith in growing together. It is all wisdom against the purity of herd process. You keep pushing to the limit and the extreme now begets it opposite.

It is reverse engineering.

9. max

max All-Star

I would not exactly be crushed at any player being traded right now. If you can seal a good deal by throwing in Stuckey, JJ or Day then so be it. I just do not see any of our young guys being superstars any time soon. That's not to say that they cannot be good players.

I think its obvious that no one is going to take Rip as is without getting back something worse. Unless they throw in a sweetener like JJ or someone.

Glad to hear about Ben Gordon. The injuries explain a lot. Maybe he will not be a total bust after all.

10. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

well I totally agree you guys are right I'll wait and see a healthy BenGO, but for CV he is a waste of money he should be an admin for twitter!!

11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Trading Stuckey right now would be crazy. He's on his rookie contract extension and he only made $1.8M last year. He's a guy that's going to command a much larger salary than that. He'd be much more valueable in a sign-and-trade deal. Unless it's part of a larger package that brings a premier superstar to Detroit, trading Stuckey's current contract would be the biggest mistake Dumars can make.

12. pass99

After this year, he may perhaps be someone who will price himself out the Piston market. This means: he may become a very valuable pawn in a S/T. That last highlighted sentence is a bit of a problem. He will not become such a market value unless it solidifies a deal that brings one very big benefit to the Pistons: it deals with a commodity called time. A superstar type will not help the team and it is very doubtful on getting one to come here. They need to distribute talent within the starting five and hopefully provide some depth. The quicker, the better. The right combination on what you can not afford to build around is a very valuable card to hold. Some potential may have to be let go before it's time. This means you potentially gain time in becoming competitive in the East again. Next year you become much closer and instead of missing 3-4 years, you only miss two.

...yea, the hole is that deep.

13. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I just really hated that we had too many darn guards playing the same position.

I love BG and barring injury last season he would have been much more productive IF he were given minutes.

I think Joe D had a serious mistep on the signing of Ben without really thinking how Rip, Stucky and Ben playing together would pan out.

Good intentions but practically it was not a good move. I also would love to have Rondo in the fold, if it means trading Stucky to Boston, I am all for it, however, Rip also needs to go.

14. Brap

Brap Starter

I just re-read the 1st post that got this thread started, and it's an excellent one.

Stuckey is easily the best player on our roster, and I agree that he has big-time potential. Keeping him at PG would give us a relatively unique advantage -- aside from Williams in Utah, Stuckey is bigger and stronger than any other top young PG. (Evans won't play that position much longer - he's a SF in all liklihood). In a league where mismatches rule, Stuckey will give us a mismatch problem the other side has to deal with every game.

That's why I like having Daye at SG -- he's going to be another matchup nightmare wherever he plays, but especially at SG.

As Joe is rebuilding our team, it's going to be quite a chore to sort through the young talent on the roster, balance it out and find complimentary players. I happen to believe that Stuckey (and Bynum) should be surrounded by great 3 pt shooters. Daye definitely is in that class, as is BG, Summers and hopefully, JJ. Hopefully Stuckey will also develop a good 3 pt shot, which would allow Daye to maximize his great ballhandling and passing skills against a lot of matchups.

15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

If you actually have to make the statement that I highlighted above, than it just isn't true. The title of "Best Player on the Pistons" IS absolutely debatable.
    ...It's a very sad fact.

I most certainly DO agree with you that Stuck has a lot of upside and potential. I also agree with you that his best chance at becoming a legit "star" in the NBA is as a PG. His size and strength make him special if he can develop his outside shot, b-ball IQ, decision making and leadership.

16. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

The thing that gives me a little bit of reason to be optimistic is the fact that April 2010 Stuckey was a much better PG than October 2009 Stuckey, who in turn was a better Stuckey than the October 2008 Stuckey.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is what is amazing to me about this year's Pistons team. In the past, we've been used to fiscal discipline and value players. But look at the ranking of the most current team by salary amount:
    1. Rip
    2. Tay
    3. Gordon
    4. Villanueva
    5. Maxiell
    6. Kwame
    7. Wilcox
    8. Stuckey
    9. Daye
    10. Atkins
    11. Wallace
    12. Bynum
    13. Jerebko
    14. Summers
    Our bottom 7 would beat the crap out of the top 7. It's upside down.

18. Mogilny

Nice find TaShawn. :pound:

19. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Yeah, he always does, TaShawn the "number man".

20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Watching the playoffs this year, how many starting guards are worse than Stuckey?