Away Indiana Pacers Monday Dec 26 2011

Discussion in 'December 2011' started by roscoe36, Dec 18, 2011.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Dec 25, 2011.
  1. Detroit

53.8%
  2. Indiana

46.2%
  1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Where to begin. No, you can't use a front line of JJ and Monroe vs. David West and Hibbard. No way, no how. Cause who in the heck is JJ suppose to guard. He can't begin to do anything with these guys. Next, why does Bynum play exactly? Fan favorite? People do not like to see ugly losses. Quit playing the guy. Next, Knight is the future of this team - so start him. No questions asked, no excuses. Lets show the Pistons old tendency of only playing vets is firmly and permanently thrown out the window.

Now Gordon did do some scoring. But really it was just a display of one on one basketball not really meant for primetime. I mean NBA by that. I am sure some team can use him. (Not really, just find someway to get rid of the guy, him on the floor is not a good thing at either end of the floor.)

You don't like JMAX? You want this team to be even softer? Sorry, we need JMAX so we don't get unmercifully pushed around inside. And Ben Wallace for same. Just never, ever play them at the same time. A lesson the new coach should have alread learned if he bothered to follow NBA basketball at all. At least I would hope he pays attention since he wants to coach in the NBA.

Our new coach was outcoached immediately and it never stopped. First we were hammered inside because we were far too weak, and then when we sent help inside they burned us bad from the 3-point line.

So Monroe gets into foul trouble, and you replace him with JMAX. Extremely bad coaching. Rookie or not, Macklin is on the team. You need some height in there. If you don't like Macklin, holler at Dumars for more players. And no, you will find CV is even worse as far as being any kind of presence around the basket ever.

Some good things. Stuckey did some scoring around the basket. JJ scored on several fast breaks, on putbacks, and from the outside. Knight nailed 3 treys. Monroe hit an outside shot and made his free throws.

Immediate homework for new coach. Drop Bynum and BG out of the rotation. Only play JMAX when JJ is along side him - at small forward - and either Macklin or Monroe along side him for height. JJ will help with JMAX's rebounding deficit on the defensive end. And you will most likely end up having to start Ben Wallace along side Monroe so you got some toughness in there. Wow, there you have it, a front line. One that rebounds, and has interior toughness.

Rotation: Knight, Daye, Tay, Ben Wallace, Monroe.

2nd unit: Stuckey, (Knight or Daye), JJ, JMAX, Macklin

The above rotation should have no problem rebounding, no problem scoring. In other words, if you choose to win games, go with it.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Hibbert is big and Hansborough is insane... and pretty big. We have no center to put up a fight. Monroe was getting ripped off on some of those foul calls, but for the most part, he just had no hope against a big athletic center. Jerebko is also too small to stop those guys even though he was putting forth maximum effort. Maxiell... even smaller.

No fix for this. The coach can only coach around it.

Maybe it will be different against a different team. As far as playing Indiana, I'm pretty sure that they would sweep us in a 7 game series.

I need to see more Knight before even coming close to forming an opinion. It's great that his deep stroke is there from the start. No made FG's inside the arc though and no trips to the line.

Stuck was pretty decent I thought. Did what he does.

Bengo was a turnover machine.

Would have been nice to put in Macklin since it was a blowout and we were getting outmuscled something fierce, but oh well... I'm sure there will be a few more GT opportunities this year.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In tonight's game, Stuckey/Gordon/Knight/Bynum shot 33%, were blocked 7 times, and turned the ball over 14 times!

It seems as though we need to find a better way to keep the ball out of the guards' hands.

Our new signing, Tayshaun Prince, did his best to take over the game with 6 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 0 steals, and 1 block in 34 minutes. He was only 4 points, 7 rebounds, and 8 assists from recording his first triple double of his career.
  4. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Okay. Here's my preliminary assessment. This team is fatally flawed. We have one of the weakest frontcourts in the league, and you can tell Moose is getting overwhelmed out there. The defense sucks, and the offense reverted to iso plays and Rip style curls for BG. Moose needed to be in two places at once a lot of the time to cover for lapses in defense, and he can't do that. He was also called for a ton of phantom fouls, which compounded the issue. When a near 40 year old Ben Wallace is your best post defender, you're in real deep poo.

Second, for the last time, Stuckey is not a PG. I saw him do tonight what he's done every night for the last four years. Pass the ball around the perimeter, drain the shot clock then drive to the hoop and yell 'Hey!' to get some freebies. I don't mind that from time to time, it's what he's good at. Stuck's strength is getting into the lane and drawing fouls, but if he's doing that he's not being a PG. He's a SG, dammit, play him where he'll be most effective, not pigeonhole him into a position he's shown no instinct for. (I feel like a broken record. *sigh*)

The only guy we have who has even looked remotely like a PG is BK, and he was either riding the pine or playing off guard. Even when it was BG on the floor with him! He didn't play well tonight, and I understand that he's a rookie and needs to earn the starting spot, but this team simply isn't good enough for that kind of tactic to be viable. The kid is 20 and he's going to make mistakes, granted, but so is Kyrie, and Kemba, and Jimmer. All of them will, but none of them would improve if they don't play and aren't given the chance to play through those mistakes. The Pistons can't afford to bury him on the bench behind mediocre players, they're just not good enough and they need him, green as he is. Like him or not, he's probably the best shot we have of having a competent PG.

JJ looked closer to his old self, if a little erratic at times. Good game from him. Unfortunately, one guy out of 5 on the floor playing well just isn't enough, especially against a good team like the Pacers. I get the feeling JJ won't be starting once CV comes back though I hope I'm wrong.

Will Bynum...not worth discussing. He is what he is. It's simply unfortunate that he's even on the team at this point.

BG..well, I mentioned it in chat; I can't hate on the guy. But it was a dismal game from him. He just looks off.

Tay looked bored to me. He was just there. He had these nights when the Pistons were winning, but the other guys were good enough to cover for him. That's no longer the case. If he wants to be a leader and live up to that silly contract, he needs to step up. He can't have too many more nights like this...though sadly I think he will.

Lawrence Frank...I'm disappointed in him atm, but I'll reserve judgment for now.

Daye needs to not be handling the ball. He just doesn't make good decisions with it. He can shoot, but his D still leaves a lot to be desired. He's been a decent rebounder so far though.

CV...we don't miss you man.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  5. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, I read what you said and I'm not here to make you change your mind about a player who you don't like.

But I'm just saying that we are no stupids, we all, pistons fans, knew that we won't win more than 20 games this season.
    We know that and still cheering for our rooks and sophomores to play (JJ, Monroe and Knight)

I agree with the most who said Stuckey must be a SG.. but it seems that, until Brandon Knight doesn't mature a little bit and have more vision of the floor, that won't be happening.

One more thing Kgreg, sorry but I don't understand what you said about Monroe in your last lines! can you explain it to me? (remember that English is not my mother language and sometimes there are some expressions I don't fully understand! thank you)
  6. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

At least silvertongue has to earn his salary . Make me believe, Silvertongue, that is your work, riiiight?
  7. copper

copper Bench Warmer

hes saying he didnt think much of Monroe last year, I think we were all a little skeptical at first when he looked VERY rough and was getting blocked regularly. But in the end Monroe was real solid and was playing damn near double double ball at end of season.
    S.J. likes this.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I thought the Pistons showed a lot of heart mounting a garbage time rally without their garbage time leader in the 4th Q. This year could be special.

I'd rather pay Stuckey Gordon's $$ instead of Grodon himself. The switch to # 8 has not helped him. He looks awful.

The Pistons would have to roll cadavers on to the court to be any less athletic. This seems like it will hurt them as long as everyone is playing "lockout" ball.

These guys made Coach Kuester's teams seem like the '05 Pistons.

Cavs Wednesday? When will Christmas end?
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

hopefully brandon knight has a similar learning curve to greg monroe's rookie season...it's going to be rough for him while he learns what he can/cannot do and when he can/cannot do it. trying to dribble between 2 defenders that worked in preseason several times? probably not a good idea. sloppy/lazy passes? no, you have to be crisp and focused on every possession. at least he has something stuckey doesn't...3-point range.

our front court is simply atrocious.

i said i was cool with the stuckey signing because that meant the PG/ball-handling duties would be removed from Ben Gordon...unfortunately no one told him that and he had some truly awful turnovers...as usual.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We have a better record than the Mavs.
  11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

and Lakers
  12. Brap

Brap Starter

Knight's going to be great. His first pro game was just that, his FIRST pro game and a road game to boot. Obviously, he wasn't used to the speed and pace and nobody is ready for the pressure. Look at Irving's crap stats from his first game in Cleveland.

I know a great athlete with vision when I see one - and I saw one in the exhibition season.

That said, unless we get a big man to help Monroe out, we're going to win about 10 games this season.
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

Of all the bonehead moves that Joe made over the last few years... at least he didn't sign Vince Carter.
    Nemo and BallDon'tLie like this.
  14. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

It is pretty bad when your best point guard may be Bynum. No one can handle the ball. Weak inside and no point guard. Wow! Might as well let the rookie Knight play and learn.

Why was Stuckey brought back? I guess the organization needs to put out some kind of product.
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Good stuff... lots of lotto hopefulness.
    Maybe even closer to am-nasty for BG... Gores, it's better than remodeling for the next three years.
    Back into the time machine to check out our new draft selection.
    Keep up the good work you guys
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'm pretty sure I have said this before, but it bears repeating. The only thing missing from Ben Gordon's game these days are the Pig Pen like stink lines trailing him around the court.
  17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Some of my reactions to this game:

Wow...we should really get a good draft pick next summer.

It's easy to understand Rip's parting comments about ballhog-itus on the Piston's. Brandon Knight, Rodney Stuckey, Will Bynum, Ben Gordon all have it.

Tayshaun played with the energy of a mononucleosis patient on Ambien.

Even without Charlie V in the lineup the Pistons looked awful. What happens when he comes back?

On the positive side JJ looked good and that 10-0 run late in the game showed some promise.
  18. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Looked kind of like the third preseason game to me. Gordon is still lost, Daye never met a defensive rotation he recognized, Max is still on the downside of what will be his last contract, and Stuckey likes to run into folks. It's the commedia dell'arte all over again - no masks required. JJ played like a guy with a lot of pride and some skills, but isn't strong enough to face those guys up. It would have been fun to see Macklin give it a shot.
    roscoe36 and BallDon'tLie like this.
  19. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Maybe the Pistons plan is to only play just below the level of their opponents.

Maybe if Stuckey keeps showing promise, JD will pay him more.

Maybe offering 70 million dollars worth of contracts this off-season makes sense to somebody else........

Maybe expecting a 10 win season is meeting expectations for JD..............
  20. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

New coach...

16 days of practice?....

young team....

new owner, who has spent money....

a 20 year old rookie PG with no summer league and one year of college....

folks, what did you expect? we looked horrible at times in 04, and we ended up winning a title, were going to at best squeek into the playoffs at worse have a chance for a top 3 pick, we need to stop.... step back.... and enjoy the little things that we can watch.... IF your going to die with every lose, and come on here and moan about it, your all going to be miserable and not going to ever see the good tree's among the the dead forest that is left... keep this game, take out the tape the first of feb and compare it.... then we can talk about if the coach is doing a good job or not.... is knight a bust, is monroe regressing...

but guys..... take a deep breath, and relax.... game one..... let me repeat game one....
    S.J., mikhail1973 and basketbills like this.