Home Indiana Pacers Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

He wasn't the best big at guarding people 1 on 1. Dre can face him up and take him off the dribble.

2. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

After a nice 8 - 6 start, we are getting beaten by Paul George. End of the first qtr, Indiana 29 - 14 Pistons

Datome had 5 seconds of action.

No chat tonight?

3. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I Found the chat, sorry.

End of the half, Detroit 41 - 38 Pacers ... Great quarter by Detroit in the defensive end. I want to se KCP

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The defense was there and they spanked us...We did a great job beating them down in the second qtr 27-9 when it appeared all was lost in the first, but they came out a-blazin in the third blistering the nets for 36 points. We had no match for Paul George who scored 12 pts in the first quarter, none in the second qtr and then 19 in the second half when the Pacers went up by 19. A late rally by the Pistons with GiGi, Pope, Moose, Singler and Jennings on the floor trimmed it down to 5 with 33 seconds left, but we could get no closer after a couple of prayer shots by Jennings and GiGi.

Jennings forced jumpers to the tune of 4-20 and Gigi the Pizza guy finally got some burn but shot 1-7 including missing 4 threes. CB, Jennings, Josh and Gigi were 2-19 from beyond the arc. Paul George was 4-8

Stuckey seem to be the man out of place colliding into Pacers at will . KCP looked better in his 3 minutes than Stuckey did in his 16. Kyle Singler despite missing 3 eazy buckets still provided some hustle once paired with KCP.

7 blocks by Hibbert including 6 on our bigs pretty much held them in check for the night.

Indiana will stay in first place for awhile....and the jawing back and forth on the floor reminded us of the 2002-2005 rivalry with them. Maybe by the time we see them in the second round of the playoffs, we will have figured them out.

5. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

quick thoughts. when the Pistons actually pass the ball to their Front Court Players, they pretty much dominate the game. When the Guards launch ill advised jumpers, pound the air out of the ball, and drive to the hoop with wild abandon, we are horrible. I think Indy is a great team, but if our guys were forced to play the right way- we would have won the game. Instead, Mo went with Stuckey down the stretch and the guy was horrific. If Mo doesn't police this situation we are going to be MEDIOCRE. Too many guys looking out for themselves when we have a WORLD CLASS FRONT LINE in the making. If I was Mo I would sit anyone that didn't do everything they could to get solid entry passes down low to Smith, Drummond, and Monroe. When they were getting the ball they played FIERCE D, too. When the chuckers were allowed to take so many horrible shots the D was lackluster. It's pretty simple. It's still really early, but I am not liking what I see out of Mo Cheeks.

Walter, basketbills and Lee356 like this.
  6. linwood

linwood All-Star

It's too early for that.

Indy is probably the absolute best team in the league at defending the rim. You have to establish a guard game against them, otherwise it's just 5 on 3 basketball, and you won't win like that. I think the Pistons have the potential to dominate the league in the paint in a few years... but right now, they have a young, raw kid, another kid in his third year, and a vet who has been with the team for 4 games.

Stuckey frustrates me too, but he hasn't been horrible so far. Maybe they are showcasing him for a trade, or maybe Mo thinks that will all of his flaws, he still brings more to the table right now than Pope or Bynum. I don't know. It's only four games in.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well, not that bad. We competed much of the game. Perhaps the coach was a bit slow in changing things to stop runs by Indiana. But really, why did the coach plan on starting Billups a 4th game where we have never had more than a day off between games? And Jennings has barely played any. Why start him and expect much different than you got. Sure, if you are going to insist on this being your starting backcourt, maybe today was good practice. But that means you are going to rely on Billups to play a huge role at quite an advanced age for him to do so. My, point, he should have changed things quicker in both the 1st and 3rd quarters, not insisting on keeping a backcourt in there that just got formed for the first time for all of 2 mintues last game.

Statistical note. Singler was near 30 up in this one, while Smith was near 30 down.

Still no Mitchell? We need size out there. And JJ did not play. Datome did get in for quite a bit, at power forward. If he had never shot the ball it would have helped. Of course, he had to take the fast break layup that got goal tended - but as he hit no outside shots of 6 taken, he did not help us any by his shooting in this game. Can't say much about Datome yet as far as his defense. I did not see any particular problem though yet. (Since he played power forward, his foot speed was not an issue.)

Bynum did fine. Brought a lot of energy when he came in and is responsible as anybody for getting the team really competing in this game. We cut some of a lead off of Indiana's when he came on in the 2nd quarter.

Kind of interesting though that coach did not do the same thing in the fourth that he had done in the 2nd. In the 2nd, he took Stuckey out rather quickly, and it was Bynum and Jennings that were cutting into that lead. Later, Billups came back in with Jennings and they ended up leading by the half. In contrast, Stuckey was left out there a lot longer in the 4th, and did not do so well, and Billups never came back in. Its almost like coach is really not trying to win this game so much as still probing what combinations of guards work. (and getting a look at Datome.)

Pope got some play. Hit a three, which going back to the last game he played makes 3 straight outside shots he has made. The Pistons almost managed to get back into the game there in the forth after Pope came in. His knockaway was part of that.

Ok, 2-12 on three's. This is what our two newcomers combined for. (Talking about Jennings and Smith.) Not good. Crashing inside more by both of them would have been a lot better. Actually, it should have been Smith crashing in 12 more times.

Jennings made some hoops on drives in. Going to his left as always.

Billups did very little of any good in this game. Though he and Jennings again did have a good run to end the first half.

We scored a lot considering Indiana's defense. Their front line beat ours, mostly because George hit so many outside shots. Stark contrast to Smith.

In all, it looked more like a preseason game should look like, the coach looking at player combinations. To his credit, he has to do it sometime. It does not get any easier next game. Not greatly concerned about this one game, not the next few really. Lets see what this coach has up his sleaves before worrying too much. Ok, well, I will worry, but do as I say, not as I do. GO PISTONS!!!!!

Walter, brofmfa, Slippy and 3 others like this.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

That was a good game. I haven't been that in to a Pistons game since Sheed last played. I used to hate the almost comebacks during the Buffoonery era.

I like that Coach Cheeks has a rotation and seems to have a feel for what is happening. I thought he was masterful in the first half getting guys in and out of there.

I thought Stuckey played himself out of the rotation in the first half. Awesome sequence of him driving into 5 guys and getting his shot blocked followed by him committing an offensive foul while driving to the basket. That's only happened about 1000 other times. He did OK in the 2nd half and made a couple of nice plays.

Drummond did an unusually solid job defensively. I loved the little one hand shoves he was giving to Hibbert and he did a good job covering West as well.

The Pistons got to get some 3 point shooting. They really need Jennings to get going when they play these bigger/better teams who can take away their strength.

I'd love to know what coaches are thinking when they put Singler on guys like George or D Wade.

Sheed let loose with a Datooooome when he scored his first bucket.

Is Granger still hurt?

George was unreal and the Pacers looked real tough at times. Where could the Pistons get to if they got shooting like that?

Great game Will Bynum. I liked it when he went at Stevenson ( a total nut) early on.

Strong game by Special K also.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.

Lee356, Slippy and roscoe36 like this.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

High praise from a very tough critic.

10. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Missed a bunch of threes. Many of them good shots or in-and-outs. Indy is good,. George is what a MAX player looks like, not Monroe. Game kept me engaged which is appreciated. Cheeks is really impressing me with his versatility and creativeness. I like Billups as a situational guard. He just can't contribute consistently enough to warrant starting. Chemistry is still a ways off.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  11. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

i hear you. it's still really early, you're right. the second Q was the blue print for beating the pants off them. Was just shocked to see our play and rotation in 2 half. nonetheless, I am REALLY STOKED about where this team is headed.

12. Ernie the Slow Adult

@kpaavkpaav, @Lee356Lee356 I didn't have a problem with Billups starting. Would you rather see Stuckey, Bynum or Singler? If it can't be KCP then Billups is my choice.

He can shoot and his pull up 3's keep the pace quick. He also mixed it up with Stevenson (a borderline lunatic) fighting for a rebound.

The floor looked awfully small and compact tonight especially in the 1st Q when it often seemed like they had 4 guys on one side of the floor.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Looks like Mo is experimenting, which is fine in the first ten games....as long as the goal is still about winning. With that being said, time to give Tony Mitchell a shot at the 4. JJ failed and Gigi got his shot. As Lee says we need some additonal size and toughness out there when two of the bigs are sitting.

14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Does MVP mean something else in the Italian League?

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Gigi is a 3, literally playing his first NBA minutes. JJ on the other hand, I am not sure why he is still getting minutes.

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

I was only kidding. I hope they give him more run. I think he'll start knocking down shots.

Lee must be sedated tonight. I can't believe he isn't all over Cheeks for the Bynum, Jennings, Singler, Datome, Drummond lineup.

That's 2 point guards who are too small and in no way a shooting guard, A SF who is too slow to play the 3 but would make a decent 2 and a PF who under no circumstances should ever play PF but could also be serviceable at the 2.

17. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

oh the big irony....all these years, dumars bought and drafted "combo guards" - as he stated - those can also do the job at PG. Did not happen. Finally he trades his two best scoring SG-s to PG and NOW team is lacking more or less stable outside shooting. I'm not against of Jennings trade but man, dumars has payed the price... By trading to Jennings, Dumars "took back" what he had said, speaking of "combo guards."

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I liked what I saw. The trash talking, the profanity, the pushing, shoving, physical play....our guys didn't back down one bit. We knew it was a measuring game and so did they, we wanted to see what we were made of and we wanted to serve notice to the King of the (Central Division) Hill and they obliged us. We got a legit battle and effort from the Pacers, they came in ready for a fight just like Reggie, Artest, Captain Jack and Oneal used to; not like last year where we lost to an elite team that didn't even take us seriously. It started out with both teams going toe to toe, then the best player on the court (and maybe even the Eastern Conf) went to work. Josh Smith is a warrior, a true fighter....but he couldn't do NOTHIN with Paul George!

We seemed a little too amped up to start the game, Smoove and Jennings missed some early shots that they should easily have made, but after we came back it felt like a whole new ball game! But again, no answer for Paul George; Smoove had 16 points, 7 rebs, 3 blocks and a steal! He is a bonafied BALLER but George made him look like a scrub at times who didn't even to deserve to be on the same court.......George was just TOO GOOD.

I liked what I saw from everyone with a few exceptions.........I know it's early but Jennings truly is a 40% shooter. I like his fire and I think he has legit talent, but he has some HUGE holes in his game. He's a poor shooter and poor finisher....can he get better? I hope so! But in this game you can clearly see why the Bucks really had no interest in re-signing him. Pound for pound......I take Will Bynum. Give Will the same green light, same minutes and same autonomy and I guarantee you their production would be about the same. It's also clear to me that Jennings (much like Stuckey) has added NOTHING to his game since coming into the league, he's trying to make it off pure talent and if he doesn't fix the weaknesses in his game I see no reason why we should even think about making him the franchise PG.

KCP is special, and I don't think the coaches are blind to it. I liked how Will and Chauncey looked playing together....I say start Jennings (for now) and KCP with Will and Chauncey as the backups......Stuckey can be a DNP-CD....but we all know that wont happen.

I was impressed with Monroe's 14 and 10 tonight....it was a tough and hard fought 14 and 10! Way to go Moose.

I think Drummond learned A LOT in this game, but he battled Hibbert toe to toe and I was proud of the big fella; at times you could tell Dre was exhausted but was still giving maximum effort and making plays.

basketbills, LA Dre, brofmfa and 2 others like this.
  19. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Stuckey -9...with Bynum +5

Both played 16 minutes............

We lost by 8 points...But

Smith and Jennings jacked up 12 - 3 pointers.

From the floor, they were a combined 11-36.

Little Caesar was only 1-7.......

Hopefully, our new guys do better in the playoffs...

20. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

:smiley hug: