Home Indiana Pacers Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Our Pistons went toe-to-toe with (IMO) the best team in the NBA.
    ...some observations:
    • I've said this before, there are only two NBA players that I wouldn't trade for Paul George.
    • Josh Smith is a helluva defender but Paul George is a horrible matchup for him. I thought Singler actually did a better job on him than J-Smoove. On the current roster, KCP might be the only guy we have that can slow George down. Joe might want to put "athletic wing defender" on his shopping list. Paul George just signed a new deal with 'Nap Town and he's a young Central division opponent that were gonna have to deal with for quite a few years.
    • I was VERY impressed with Andre Drummond. The box score doesn't show the defense that he played on Hibbert and the fact that he didn't back down one bit to one of the best bigs in the league. Every time Hibbert pushed him - Dre pushed back. I saw some "fight" in Dre last night that I haven't really seen yet from him.
    • Greg Monroe played well. He needs to shut his mouth and understand that bad calls are part of the game. Maybe just pick his spots a little more regarding when to whine to the officials.
    • The face-up J that Moose hit in the 1st Q actually got me up off of my couch!
    • What's up with the freaking guard "Motations" that Mo is running out there? Going into last nights game, the Pistons were LEADING THE LEAGUE in point in the paint. We have a three-headed monster that dominates under the hoop. All we need our guards to do is: 1. spread the floor. 2. make good entry passes 3. run some pick & roll 4. make themselves available for kick-outs & knock down jumpers. -BJ7 does all of these things. -Bup Bup does all of these things. -Teen Wolf does 3 out of 4 of these things. -Stuckey does NONE of these things.
    • If Mo only wants to play Chauncey 25 minutes a night, 5 of those minutes should be the last five minutes. I thought Bynum played solid the whole game but I thought he hit the panic button down the stretch on a few plays. I just feel like Chauncey handles bidness better than any other guard on the team right now. (...This goes for the Memphis game too).
    • Here's an over-simplification but to an extent, I think it's true: Stuckey was the only minus player off the bench with -9. ...We lost by 8.
    • Pizza Guy was gripping hard on his shot but overall, he played well. He played some solid D and got his hands on quite a few loose balls. He looks pretty quick. His shot will start going in. He looks quicker than Walt Herrrrrmannnnn.
    • The Palace was too empty. Fans need to get on board!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
    jzchen, Lee356, del and 3 others like this.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Stuckey and Charlie?
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  3. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

It was a bit of a disheartening come-down for Pistons fans. The reality is that the Pacers match-up very well with Detroit and it's unlikely that the Pistons, as currently constructed, will ever overtake these guys. Monroe's lack of athleticism was rebuffed by Hibbert, Smith couldn't stay on Granger, and Drummond was a non-factor offensively, lacking a good enough offensive post game to battle Hibbert's amazing defensive presence. However, there is a silver lining, and that's in what the Pistons actually did right, because they actually may have stumbled on a way to beat up on Indiana.

Tonight we saw what happens when the Pistons play a team that is very capable of defending the Hydra. The Pacers are BIG, and they pack the lane; without any outside shooting, the Pistons have nothing to pull defenders out of the lane. Against that team, no amount of interior passing is going to help. The Pistons were -32 when all three of Detroit's bigs were on the floor. Smith was +8 without Monroe and Monroe was +12 without Smith. Drummond was +6 without either of them and +8 with just Smith. To me this is pretty solid evidence that one of those three needs to come off the bench and they need to move a true SF into the starting lineup.

Singler was +26 in his time, primarily because he played outstanding defense on George; George had more turnovers (3) than buckets (2) in the just under 14 minutes that Singler was guarding him. Of course there are a variety of factors in play, but Singler kept them in the game last night and needs to be in consideration for starter's minutes next time Detroit plays Indy. Singler was the MVP last night because of his defense. When the Pacers brought their starting five back in at the end of the second, and when the Pistons didn't play all three of their bigs (and played Singler), Detroit was +9 over that 5:28.

And while Cheeks and his old-country ways aren't going to want to hear it, it echoes what everyone else has been saying; the team needs to have a variety of weapons and offensive balance to be effective. When they had it last night (i.e., when Monroe, Smith, and Drummond weren't on the court at the same time), the Pistons actually won by 23 points, and built a lead regardless of who was on the court for the Pacers.

So next time, don't let the big three play together, and have Singler guard George as much as possible. Cakewalk.
    dba, Lee356 and roscoe36 like this.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Thanks for the post, Coach Frank.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I think we easily win this game if a few of the missed three pointers go down. We could have won by 20. It shows we are right there with Indy.
    roscoe36, BallDon'tLie and linwood like this.
  6. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I'll agree that the Pistons didn't shoot the three-ball well last night, but that wasn't the only problem, either. Only 13 assists and Hibbert had 7 blocks. That tells me that the Pistons were attacking areas that weren't effective.

Don't forget, either, that the Pacers were without their starting PG. You have to play to their weaknesses, not their strengths.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

I'm not sure Howard would like to be characterized as having "worked alongside Darko."
    Laimbrane and roscoe36 like this.
  8. BallDon'tLie

Making some more triples would have helped the cause but Josh smith trying to check Paul George is what did us in last night.
    I'm totally PRO-Josh as far as him being the starting SF. I think that against the vast majority of threes in the NBA, he's up to the task.
    I just think that George being as quick as he is, makes him one of the rare exceptions of baller small forwards that we might not want to ask Josh to handle.
    I hope that the MOtation evolves into having at least two of Josh, Drum and Moose on the floor at all times with Josh spending some more time at the 4-spot. Start all three of them but one of the first subs off of the bench should be Pizza or Singler to play some SF.

...and hopefully Joe can address the issue of improving our backup SF position. I think that if you can put a quality 6th man of the year type player in that position, The sky is the limit for this team.
    Lee356 and del like this.
  9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

George was having his way with anybody last night, but I agree that Singler did a good enough job on him. I really like what I see from that kid. He's a great bench player.

Pope needs to play more.

Stuckey needs to go away. Seriously, I cannot stand watching him any more. The whole promise of Stuckey was that he was a big and strong guard that would create matchup problems at the PG spot. Well, we all know by now that Stuckey cannot play PG on offense. And we have better options at PG right now in Jennings, Billups, Bynum and Siva. He's not a good shooter by any stretch of the imagination. His only strength is to drive hard to the basket, make contact and get to the free throw line. With our current big frontline, we don't need that any more. We need outside shooting. So that leaves only his perimeter defense as something he brings to the table. Well, we now have that also covered in Pope, who actually fits much better as he can hit the outside shot with more confidence than Stuckey and already is showing signs of better decision making than Stuckey. At this point, there is absolutely nothing valuable that Stuckey does that someone else on the team can't do better. He brings zero value and we gotta dump him at the first opportunity.

I loved that this was a good-old slugfest. It was an ugly, physical game with the players pushing and shoving and jawing at each other. I loved how Drummond stood his ground against Hibbert.

The thing that cost us the game was all the "I'm gonna be the hero" contested pull-up three balls. If we had played our game, we could've won this. We lost because too many of our players decided to take matters into their own hands. We won't win against teams like Indiana if we don't play a team game.
    Pwn Toney and Lee356 like this.
  10. Walter

Oh, btw, great chat last night. I even got a new sig line out of it. I didn't realize how much I missed it. You guys are all awesome.
    Pwn Toney and roscoe36 like this.
  11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

If Datome keeps shooting like he did last night we may see the resurrection of Charlie V.
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think we just need to be more patient with Datome. See what he can do in extended minutes. Maybe he is a bum. Maybe not. According to his teammates, he's not fast, but he's a deadly shooter.

That could work, not defensively, but certainly offensively.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Josh had trouble with both Ariza and Paul George, especially defending them beyond the arc. With Ariza, he seem to have been distracted by seeing Anita Baker in the stands and just lost track of where he was as Trevor seem to always be on the other side of the floor wide open with no Josh in sight.

So far in 4 games he is shooting 41% from the floor, 57.1 % from the FT line and making 1.8 threes a game. All that has translated into 17-7-3 and 2.3 blocks a game and a 2-2 record.
  14. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Pope outscored Chauncey in this game.
    Walter likes this.
  15. BallDon'tLie

Pope: in 3 1/2 minutes: +9
    Stuckey: in 16 minutes: -9
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Then again, we could have played a shooting guard in this game. His name is Pope. And he is 6-6, and could have switched with Smtih on the defensive assignment. Make Stephenson beat us. Hey, we already know George can beat us. But can Stephenson? Further, this would have meant we don't waste Billups' energy. We could have started Jennings and Pope, and brought on Billups as the backup point. Let Billups have his time to shine at what he does best, run the point, be the floor general.
  17. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Really enjoy watching Indiana after seeing them in that 7 game series against the Heat. Looking forward to our development and some more banging games in the seasons to come. We will learn a lot from these games.
    Think Paul George is going to be the difference in a fair few of those games and I am going to hate it, but do REALLY like his game. He is LBJ without the being... well LBJ.

I don't know why we haven't seen anything but this yet?! There hasn't been much in the way of foul trouble except for Moose in this game and the only matchup issue I see is Monroe guarding a stretch 4. Even then, the stretch 4 isn't going to run him ragged.

Ol' 1 way Stuckey was his awful self again tonight - I'm still surprised that he tries to play his same game, that works occasionally against bad defensive positional teams, against big good defending teams.

I sure hope KCP earns Mo's respect soon. BJ and KCP to start, Drum and KCP for Stuckey and Singler/Datome with Billups playing backup point means we get the best use for Stuckey with shooters on either side and that we don't see Bynum anymore (except situational reasons that someone else mentioned).
    Walter and Lee356 like this.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Absolutely Singler if given those choices. But it should be KCP, with Singler coming in off the bench, at least until the Pistons trade for a shooting guard. A real one, like KCP.
  19. Walter

Is there a quote from practices or something? I missed this.
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

There was, but you have zero chance of me digging for a source. Sorry.
    Walter and Pwn Toney like this.