Indiana Pacers

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Sep 12, 2005.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I just thought of this. Won't the Pacers not only lose a great offensive player in Reggie Miller, but also a good defender on Rip since Rip does use Reggies moves, and even if they put Artest on Rip the Pacers will have to deal with Tay who's a lot better than he was when we won the championship.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Steven Jackson. He can defend Tay if the Prince plays wallflower and isn't aggressive.

Now J-Max? I would love to see that kid bang on Artest and Jackson. Mark my words, J-Max is a beast and he will steal someone's minutes this year.

3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

You have a point there himat but I think we could be in for a batlle if Indy stays healthy this year. Jermaine O'Neal's shoulder is healed, Tinsley's foot is better even Bender and Harrison weren't healthy last year. Then they are adding Danny Granger and that hotshot guard from Europe....and that crazy dude who ran into the stands last year...I think they can get by without the old man.

I read in the other forum of a condition called "fatigued leg syndrome" that was caused by Larry Brown and infected some of our players including Ben Wallace. Now that Larry is gone and this disease can be cured I think the Pistons will be much better too. So it all evens out.

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ya read my mind on that one Micro... I'd like to see them send Jmax out there just to antagonize the hell out of ASStest... see if he responds... worse case we lose is a rookie :eyebrows:

But I am very concerned about the bulk difference at SF and SG... If the Pacers are smart they send Artest and Jackson to the paint... I think Rip and Prince will have a hard time holding em back.

I can see some early substitutions for the Pacers

5. linwood

linwood All-Star

Indy

I expect Indy to be fierce this year. When Tinsley is healthy he is an excellent guard, but the dude seems a bit fragile to me. We all know what a beast Ron can be. I haven't forgotten his 30 point games while playing lockdown D. JO is a force when healthy, and he seems to be in pretty good shape.

On the other hand, S Jax seems like an idiot, and you can't count on those guys all season. They also seem to be lacking at the center position. So far, I haven't been impressed by Foster, Crosere or Pollard. I think they will play possessed for awhile, maybe best record again, but once again will come up short in the playoffs.

6. linwood

linwood All-Star

Amen! I just watched the summer league video of that kid, and I am really excited to see him play. The guy is an animal and it looks like he can jump about 5 feet in the air! His (defensive shot blocking) timing looks supernatural.

I watched the NCAA tourney last year and followed Michigan State and University of Kentucky. I can't remember who played Cincinnatti, but I remember Maxiel being the whole team. Blocking shots, scored 25 or 30 points, rebounds, etc. A monster.

Maybe this should go in a new JMax thread... just starting to figure this stuff out.

By the way, very nice forum Microwave. I haven't quite fiqured it out, and I do miss the "live" feel of Pistonstalk, but I will suffer these minor inconvieniences to avoid the endless, futile, Darko debate. Cheers to you!

7. dozero

dozero First Round Draft Pick

What's there 5 spot's function?

Foster IMO works very well into the Pacers game plan. It's the same as the Spurs: the 4 is the focus and the 5 is the clean up guy. Foster has a GREAT nose for the ball and grabs a ton of offensive rebounds. However, a taller or heavier play often gives him the fits.

Matchup? If the Pistons play an uptempo game, we win. We're quicker at the 1 the 2 and 3 and this puts a strain on the Pacers defence. Went they play an uptempo speed Billups does Tinsley something dirty (locks him up or causes turnovers) and the Pacers fall apart. The Pacers X factor(s) will be Bender and the back up point from Europe. But, my money is on the Pistons to win.

8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Did you see how bad Big Ben made Duncan look in the Finals (horibble FG%) if he can do that to a former MVP than I think he can do that to a MVP candidate.

9. roscoe36

That was Sheed, not Ben.

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Thank-You

11. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

Artest on Rip

Indeed they'll miss reggie offensively and surprisingly defensively too, but s. jackson is a decent defender and capable of matching Rip in the scoring department. Therefore the drop off shouldn't be that much of a difference actually folks. However the thought of placing Artest on Rip is a really a win win situation for us. Although artest is a strong one on one defender, he is not used to defending a guy like Rip who runs around constantly and uses so many screens so darn well. Unlike bruce bowen artest tends to be sort of clumsy at times and not exactly so smooth at slipping through screens to get his man. Bottom line if the refs are on the job Rip should be able to score and draw plenty of fouls on artest with the screens and his superior first step & speed.

12. roscoe36

Yep, Artest uses size and strength, Bowen uses tenacity and frustration. If there is one thing we have learned, Rip's head can be messed with.

13. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

Good catch!

Very nice catch Micro.... And to think that there are still folks around here who try to downplay/player hate on the obvious skills of our guy Rasheed "Roscoe" Wallace (not you Himat, these people know who they are)! Roscoe doesn't give us 20ppg & 10rpg but he more than holds his own with the best of of the best PF's in the game. Bottom line he is truly one of the better PF's in the business folks, whether folks care to admit it or not.

GO PISTONS!!!!!!

14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Well, I like his defense, Ty, despite the Horry gaffe in the Finals. It shoulda been Horry yelling, "Don't leave me, don't leave me!" If he'd cut down on the techs, I'd like it even better. Every other PF in the league hurts his team less with techs.

I'm not a hater. I'd rather have Sheed than not have him. His defense on Duncan was very good in the Finals. Hopefully, he'll come to camp ready to play. From what I've heard, he will be ready.

15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

ggazoo

I dunno Gazoo. Folks might get the wrong message with Horry standing there grabbing his crotch and screaming "Don't leave me" to Sheed. :suspiciou

16. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Indiana's team

I think that even with the lost of RM, Indiana is the team to beat this season. Miami is loaded with stars, but how much chemistry will they have? How the Diesel is going to cope with too many players capable to shoot the ball? Indiana on the other hand seems like a well oiled machine and with the addition of that european guy (Sarunas Javi...something) aren't going to miss the geezer. This is the same guy who scorched team USA in the Olympics with his 3-pt shooting. He can flat out shoot.

I still think we have what it takes to win. It's going to be harder, though. Last year, Foster was having a party with the offensive rebs. That is not an option this year. Our teams are too close to comfort.:pray:

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Hey even if it was Sheed we still got him and Big Ben.

18. tpaPistonFan

tpaPistonFan First Round Draft Pick

O'Neil

You guys forget that J O'Neil has been injured each of the last 2 playoff runs. The Pacers may have a better regular season than both the Pistons and the Heat, but I doubt they will cause any trouble to either team in the playoffs for 2 reasons: 1) O'Neal will get hurt (mark my words, he is a modern day Scottie my head hurts Pippen) 2) Coach C is NOT a playoff coach and doesn't adapt well.

19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I hope we are not going to start talking about injuries that really annoys me. Especially since last season we had the toughest schedule (most backtoback games), and we have the most backtoback sets again this year, yeah that's right I counted, and we have 20 sets! Even though this happens we still got through because we're the toughest team the NBA, and unlike many other teams we don't practice our highlightreel dunks. The Pistons spend a long time on their Strength&Conditioning because all the players know they will have to endure a lot to win a championship.

20. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

pacers

we will whoop the pacers this year. chauncey absolutely dogs tinsley and gets his head out of the game very easily. this year chauncey will be unleashed onto the league. the other teams point guard won't have until the 4th quarter to wait for his beating. he'll get it right at the start of the game. if anybody goes back and watches our old pacer games. they are a different team once tinsley leaves the floor and chauncey makes him make that exit very quickly.

i think we are just too deep and too big for them this year. jo will have his hands full with darko, davis,dice, sheed and ben on him. joe is a smart gm he built his teams for the playoffs. we have a deep front line for miami and he brought in jmax specifically for artest. i'm sure of this. indiana will be a 5 game series. especially now that reggie is gone they won't get the sentimental calls to prolong his career. i still have hopes of reggie signing with us for the playoff run.