Interesting/Disturbing Info on Billups

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jul 8, 2008.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I was fortunate enough to talk with JTIII(John Thompson III) and Brian Mitchell during the AT&T Classic.

My husband and Boss initiated the conversation about the U.S. Olympics and what players would be starting, lack of size, as well as a myriad of questions regarding the Olympic team.

Well my Boss who also golf with JTIII and he eats, and breathes anything basketball.

While talking about PG play, even though he didn't really mean to let the cat out of the bag, the comment was, it was assumed that Billups would have been a solid contributor, (and I quote this statement), however, he was possessed with the Gilbert Arenas disease, my husband asked what did that mean, he stated, and I quote "His Ego took up the entire gym", we all knew that". The conversation changed so fast, so quick, it would have made your head spun around a few times.

I just thought this was a very interesting piece. I always seem to get the most interesting tidbits of info at whenever I go to the AT&T event, even without Tiger being there. I only wished that I could have pumped him for more info.
  2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Interesting.

KG, LeBron, Kobe....a lot of players have Arenas Disease too I would think. I never thought Chauncey was as bad as that but maybe he is.
  3. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

The only difference is KG, LeBron and Kobe will be starting. I think Billups knew he wouldn't get the nod over CP3 and Deron Williams so he decided he wanted no part of coming off the bench.
  4. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

That disease seems to be contagious. You would think winning a ship would cure it, however, the disease gets worse after recieving the O`Brien trophy.

Then, you have some players (Gilbert Arenas) who will perhaps never win a ship and succumb to this terrible attitude and mind numbing torment.

Pleae, someone develop a cure, or the NBA as we know it will be doomed. Or, should I say is doomed!!
  5. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Fact is, the majority of good/great NBA players are cut from this cloth. If they weren't brimming with overconfidence and ego a great deal of them would have been eaten alive in HS, College, and continuing into the professional ranks.

It is often viewed by the fans as a sign of fallibility when unfortunately it is more likely just another adaptive coping mechanism that certain players have developed and relied upon in order to get to where they are today.

Show me the All-Star caliber player in todays NBA that isn't infected with "the Gilbert Arenas" (preclusion of the word "disease" sounds better IMO, makes it sound like "the plague"), and that is when I am "moved" in a figurative sense. There just aren't many of them out there.
  6. armygirl

Let me clarify a little bit about this conversation. I really got the impression from listening, that CB hardly impressed anyone including Mike K and there was more to CB not being on the olympic team than what we have read or heard.

I really didn't want to push my luck afterall, I was a guest of my boss.
  7. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Gilbert is clutch, people should respect that.
  8. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I might get slammed for this, but I've always thought Billups was a snake-like person; knows what to say and how to be politically correct but very different privately than the image he portrays.

That being said, he REALLY impressed me last year the way he handled Stuckey and his decreasing minutes. Rip was the one who came off unable to handle playing less. You can argue that Stuckey never stole important min, but there were countless times CB told Flip to leave Stuckey in the game. For all his flaws, i don't really doubt his commitment or loyalty to this team. And in turn my previous opinion of him has lost alot of weight.

I'm really curious to what the issues are w/ the Olympics. I guess we'll see what happens in the coming season when/if he's benched for Stuckey in crucial minutes.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Cloud hit the nail on the head. It's a catch 22, it's tough to get to where CB is without having the type of confidence that borders on egotistical. Team USA is a tough deal, it's trying to manage a bunch of players who feel they are the man, and indeed they are for their respective teams. Tay is perfect for the system because his strength is his ability to complement, same can be said for Sheed and players like Odom, but Billups is who he is because of what JTIII complained about.
  11. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Ego or no ego, Pistons are still better off with Chauncey on the team.

:hoops:
  12. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I believe so as well. If he was as egotistical as everyone says then surely he would have kicked up more dust about his playing time. I think maybe he has matured a bit in the past year. After the whole 'C-Webb is stealing my assists thing' he has shown a stronger commitment to the team. Maybe it had to do with his new contract and comment about being more community-driven. I don't know.
    But he knew come playoff time he would get the minutes, and that comes from faith and understanding in the staff and organisation and vice versa.

Word. I'm still not jumping on the bandwagon of 'we must get rid of CB while he still has value'. His mentoring of Stuckey should not be under-valued. Point Guard is probably the toughest position to learn to play elitely.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Didn't Billups also say that Sheed was the best player on the team? I think I remember him saying that. It was a lie, but at least it was a humble lie.
  14. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Don't forget that Shaq said Kobe was the best player in the league right before he came out with that little rap song. :)
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Bup-Bup was too smart for JT3 and Mike? !
    C-Note has schooled by LB4LB. Making him one of the smartest PGs in the league.
    CB should be the coach of the Olympic team.
    Gilbert Arenas is a nut. Calling CB G.A. is a low blow.
    G, you're lucky I don't give you a good polling on who has the biggest ego in the NBA past and present.
  16. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

Most would argue that Rasheed is the best on the team, including myself. Not to mention a top twenty player in the league. He can take over a game on either end of the floor you cant say that about anyone else on our team.
  17. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

The problem is how often does Sheed take over games? I think maybe 2 or 3 games a year? Billups is the one that likes to have the ball in his hands with the game on the line most of the time atleast during the regular season.
  18. FORTHELUVOFSMOOTH

FORTHELUVOFSMOOTH First Round Draft Pick

How the tide has changed? How do you guys get the nerve to sit up here and dog Chauncey like this. Do you really believe that he let his ego get in the way in during the Team USA camps. I mean c'mon he barely even there. Everybody has an ego it's just how you keep it in check. Everytime I come on this site y'all find another way to diss him. And it's not cool. Talk about somebody else.
  19. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

I started to dislike Chauncey when he settled for 30-foot jumpers in the playoffs. Against Cleveland in 2007, specifically. I think he did it twice in that series. Missed both. Rodney "Rodney Stuckey" Stuckey wouldn't have done that.
  20. armygirl

How about this one...This is a pistons forum where you can freely discuss your opinions and ideas freely and openly.

Where others opinions don't have a dog fart to do with your own personal opinions and thoughts and because as we all know opinions are not facts.

So with that said yes....I and speaking for self and self only, CB is probably a very nice guy, (with an HUMONGOUS EGO) and it takes more than nice guys to win champioships, it's time for him to move on while he still has some value left.