Interesting DX Article..Rodney Stuckey Evaluation

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blackhawk, Mar 4, 2010.

1. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good article. This sums it up well.

3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Really good. This struck me...

Help side defenders know when Stuckey lowers his shoulder, he’s going to force a shot, so defenses converge hard to the paint on all his dribble penetration. Even with a clogged post area Stuckey rarely kicks the ball out to open shooters. Instead, he prefers higher degree of difficulty shots, which typically yield negative results for the Pistons, and discourage the notion that he’s best suited playing a primary ball-handling and playmaking role.

Also interesting is the stuff about his shooting form (a hitch) and how that contributes to his overall bad shooing performance. You have to wonder if that's the kind of thing that could be corrected with a boatload of work. It's probably the difference between a series of midrange contracts and some serious money for him.

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think it should read like this...........

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Wow! They have him spot on!

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Obviously DrafteXpress are haters. :pound:

7. Brap

Brap Starter

HOPEFULLY, the Pistons will surround Stuckey next year with healthy guys who are big time shooters, to compliment his game. I expect Gordon to return to form, expect Daye to be a rotation player, and expect major improvement in what we've seen from CV.

Next year should (hopefully) see Stuckey take another step up in his overall game - and it's pretty clear to me that he's taken a good step forward this season.

8. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

not saying injuries are the only problem we've had this year, far from it.... but a comment made last night sorta hit me

we have had 10 games this year that we have had everybody dressed..... our record in those 10 games

6-4 while not great.... its over .500 and i'd really like to see where this team would be if they had a whole year together for games and practices....

9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

BRAP, I hear ya, but please see the quote above yours.

I mean they really, really have seen every part of his game, good and bad. He dribbles with his head down, and he has suspect handles, having him coined as our future franchise Point Guard that scares the heck out of me.

Now if he were our combo guard off the bench- backing up an All-Star Backcourt, I'd be ecstatic.... wait a minute....didn't we.....wasn't he.....:doh:

Disclaimer: I was glad to see Billups go, I thought Stuckey would be the 2nd coming- as good if not better than Derrick Rose. I was glad to see Ben Gordon arrive, and was OK with GIVING AA away.......I WAS WRONG!

10. Brap

Brap Starter

I agree with those who say Stuckey needs to improve, and being a more reliable distributor (especially after penetration) is a key area. But he's a very young guy who has improved in each of his 3 seasons - noticeably improved, IMO - so I expect him to improve quite a bit, especially with better talent around him.

11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Somebody in another thread the other day gave called Stuckey: "The Shoulder" (mighta been Dre? ...i think)

At the time, I LOL'd my butt off and somebody came into my office and I had to dismiss it as an inside joke that would take too long to set up.

Anyway, I'm totally down with this 'nick for Stuckey and I'd like to see it used at least as often as "[strike]Runnin'[/strike] Jogging Rodney", "The Franchise" or the "Quintessential One".

12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Fair estimation on his talent level. My take for a personal estimation on where he fits:
    • PG---Does not have awareness level to lead a team as a placement commander that involves all. Not a good situational level IQ.
    • 2-Guard---Bad hitch (flying the Frisbee flatness) and therefore will never keep defense honest. Poor selection on mid-range shot (time winding down) and doesn't divide space for pass outs. Defensively matched (2-3) with other outstanding talent and is not quick enough for picks.
    Future: One and two guards are everywhere. Great learning organizations can teach how to manipulation situations. CP, Williams, etc.; not that unique, but Nash-Kidd were born into it.

This club (and JD can not comprehend) will never have him coming off the bench. What a terrific combo guard he would be in this role.

Whether the question: gaining a talented PG might be an opposite force against Stuckey at a two. Does not understand spacing and can not use the whole floor like a Wade. Where does he fit?

Trading Stuckey as a closer deal might gain JD two years sooner in having a playoff team. My bet is that he can't do it. Too bad.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Man, that's a rough compliment.

14. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I thought that article was a lot fairer than most posters here (on Stuckey).

There's a lot more for him to improve on, but so many people treat this guy like he's the same player he was as a rookie, which is absurd.

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think the article does a pretty good job of detailing that his offensive game hasn't come very far since he was a rookie.

His defensive game has. Although it had a long way to go, so there is a more noticeable improvement.

16. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

The way the team plays with him on the court vs. off of it is like night and day. He is in his third year in the league and IMO makes his teammates better. He still has some work to do but I would rather see gradual improvement year after year rather then a breakout year and then nothing (ala Tay).

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This is rehashing a joke from last year, but I really feel that one of the most overlooked parts of The Shoulder's game is his ability to commit offensive fouls with both his left and right shoulder.

18. Whitepine

Whitepine First Round Draft Pick Forum Donor

Lmao
    The "Ambidextrous one"

19. blackhawk

Penetrating into the defense is a good way to get easy dunks for the bigs.
    -How often do we see that? Then again Maxiel, Big Ben, Jerebko would most likely not start on a playoff team.

Penetrating into the defense is another way to draw fouls.
    -Rodney is getting 5.1 FTA per game, which puts him around 7th place among Point Guards. Chauncey leads all playmakers with 7.2 FTA. Devin Harris and Gilbert Arenas are at 6.5 FTA for second and third place. Note: If 7th place seems a little high it is because Rodney averages more minutes per game than most point guards. Tyreke Evans, who is a SG, is averaging 6.6 FTA as a rookie.

20. blackhawk

PHX and DET comparison:

3pt FG Percentage:
    PHX is first in the league at 40.5%.
    DET is last at 29.2%. The only NBA team below 30%.
    -Passing accuracy is low. How often are the 3pt shooters set in "comfortable" position to Catch and Shoot motion? The ball is usually above their head, at their knees, on the right or left side, or some other fashion that gets them out of their "rhythm" shooting motion.

Assists:
    PHX is 4th in the league.
    DET is in 29th place. Barely beating NJ for the last spot.

If Stuckey and Nash were swapped what would happen to the Phoenix Suns and the Detroit Pistons?