Interesting Villanueva Stat: (very interesting)

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jul 1, 2009.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Last season he played in 78 games starting 47 and averaging 26.9 mpg and scoring 16.2 ppg and 6.7 rpg. What is interesting is that he played 30 minutes or more in only 29 games. In those 29 games he averaged 23.4 ppg and 8.9 rpg. He was very consistent in those games, scoring 20 or more in 24 of 29 games, scoring double figures in all 29 games and getting 15 double doubles in 29 games.

hmm...can you say, diamond in the rough?
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I've watched Charlie since he came into the league. Everyone is in love with Millsap, but Charlie has a much better game. Millsap is good, but he's no Shaq, and he doesn't have any range.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I can't get down with Charlie "No Brows"....I just can't do it!!!!
  4. rip_city

rip_city First Round Draft Pick

haha I was talking to my friend about this earlier actually that if Charlie V played 30+ mins he would be close to a 20 and 10 guy. I really dont know why MIll just let this guy walk...he is a very good player that is still young and can improve. Ive said it before and ill say it again...id love to sign Charlie!
  5. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Charlie might lack that inside game but he is certainly a talented player with a future in this league.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I just looked at his stats from last year and he's a poor man's Chris Bosh, if Joe can get him for half the $$$, I guess do it, I actually prefer him to Carlos Boozer. 5yrs/$40 million would be ideal for Charlie "No Brows"
  7. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

I thought the exact same thing when Toronto traded him, I knew that had disaster written all over it for them.

Unrelated, but funnily I also suggested (at another basketball forum) the Raptors should've kept Villanueva, and taken a shot on Jose Calderon as their starting point, which was quickly shot down by Raptors fans. 3 years later, it turns out I was right lol.
  8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

But Millsap has much more hustle in his game (ie rebounds), doesn't float around the perimeter (do we need another big that shoots in the mid-to-low 40% again?), and he plays some D. Charlie is like Sheed without the defense (basically Tim Thomas). That really doesn't interest me (not that I'm thrilled about anyone else either).

There is also the issue of work ethic. You gotta wonder when you see Villanueva's numbers jump up like that in a contract year with a guy who has had a questionable work ethic label on him his whole career. Why is Milwaukee just dumping him? I don't see a stack of young PF's over there.

That said, I don't believe Millsap is worth anything near the numbers I've seen flying around. He's worth probably 7-8M per year. Charlie V is an MLE guy at best to me.
  9. ocellatus

ocellatus First Round Draft Pick

Why not go for Villanueva and Millsap? It's not like we don't need big guys we do only have Max & Brown right now.
  10. roscoe36

I'm worried that what you see is what you get with Millsap. A third tier PF who will get you 14 and 10 in the paint. Udonis Haslem without the 14 foot jumper.

Villanueva forces people to guard him, he can get his own shot, take his man off the dribble, and has a pretty J. He's also got a nice touch around the rim.

The downside, is his defense and motor.

Sheed, CV and Millsap.
    Player Comparison Finder - Basketball-Reference.com

I'm actually warming to CV. I think if we can snag him for $8 million a year, that would be a coup. He'd be tradeable later as his salary would not be too burdensome, and if you can get 18+8 or better for $8 million a year, that is pretty damn good.

One more thing. I think we're stuck on some sort of behemoth front line, but if Pau Gasol can play championship defense, almost anyone can. And why does our PF have to be any more of a ground and pounder than Shard?
  11. FreshPrince22

But he's never gone 18/8, and the only season he got even somewhat close was in a contract year. He's a 12/6 guy prior to that. Maybe it's all a coincidence, and he just improved, but I'm skeptical.

The Lakers can get away with Pau because he's 7' 250lbs, and he's got some very good defenders around him. He can block some shots and is a double digit rebound guy to make up for being a bit soft. And Rashard gets away with it because he's got Dwight Howard erasing his mistakes behind him. If we had Dwight Howard, then sure. CV would be a great fit because he opens things up for a post player. We don't have one to take advantage, and if Joe blows this money on a couple chuckers like Gordon and CV, it's going to be another era of Pistons perimeter basketball.
  12. roscoe36

I think Villanueva gets a bad rap as a chucker. 36% of his shots were inside.

Contrast that with Sheed (11%) and Dice (25%) and he took as many inside shots (as a %) as both of them combined.

It is so depressing to post those #s.

Wow, Shard shot inside 21% of the time. That's almost double Sheed. Ugh.

Source: 82games.com
  13. ocellatus

ocellatus First Round Draft Pick

Offer Villanueva 8 Million per, Millsap 7 Million per then go after one year role players to help out in spots. Then we're done this year unless we can find someone to take Max's contract off our hands.
  14. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Some compelling arguments from our leader. Another one to consider is this:

With our guards ability to penetrate (Stuckey, Bynum, Gordon:sssh:), we NEED a 4 who can open up the floor, in order for our offense to thrive. When you also factor in the rule changes that have made guarding perimeter penetration very difficult, this is literally a no brainer.

I would temper this analysis by agreeing with FP. We also need a banger at the 5 to do the dirty work. Marcin and Kwame make a nice two-headed monster.
  15. FreshPrince22

Well, it's not so much where he shoots (though that's part of it), but how frequently he shoots per minute he's on the floor, and his percentage. I question any near 7' big who shoots in the mid-40's percentage-wise. The fact that he actually gets a decent amount of shots inside compared to Sheed/Dice, actually makes that look even worse.

CV actually shoots a worse percentage on Jumpshots, "close" shots, and Dunks than both Rasheed and Dice. Particularly glaring is CV's 48.7% on "Close shots" compared to Dice's 62.9%. Sheed is pretty poor in this regard as well compared to most NBA bigs, but he still managed 51.9% even with his deteriorated inside game. Or CV's 84% on dunk attempts (Dice @ 100% FYI). So, while Charlie puts up more shots inside, it's negated by the fact that he doesn't seem to be a great finisher.

^ All stats also per 82games.com

EDIT: Skimming through 82games, I'm actually having a tough time finding a big man who shot as poorly inside as CV did.
  16. theWORM

Memo?..
  17. FreshPrince22

54.9% on close shots
    96.9% on dunks
    59.6% on Inside shots overall. (29% of his attempts were from inside FYI)
  18. theWORM

Yikes! So Charlie V is worse than Memo at finishing in the paint!

That being said, I must defer to the principle of "Gestalt" (one for you brother Pass99!). That is of course, that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts...
  19. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

20. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

We are going to be very sorry if we dump 8 Mil into this guy. It's the Nazr signing all over again. We get rid of a talented player like Rasheed and bring in a guy with less than half the skill....and for 8 million? Really?

This guy is a 5 Million player at best and in another attempt to go cheap, we're going to overpay for a not-so-great player just to avoid the extra 2 Mil or so it would cost us for a really good player...

MIL probably just let this guy walk because he's probably not that good. If we throw 8 Mil at this guy and he turns out to be an 8 and 6 player, we are going to look like fools yet again.