Is Amir the next KG?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by detteam, Dec 25, 2006.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

If what Budda said is true...

...I'm wondering if Amir is the next KG...hence his lack of PT coming up to contract in the off season. In the very little we've seen him, he looks DAMN good...not just athletic, but quick too. And he's not even 20 yet. Amir might be Joe's over-whelming redemption for the Darko draft. AJ may be the best kept secret in the NBA.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That's what we are all hoping! :sssh:

:rofl: :stirthepot: :cheerleader:

3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I like the optimism... and can see some similarities as far as athletisism... there have been a lot of tall athletic guys roll thru this league and leave without any recognition.
    It's our nature to overvalue our own products. I certainly don't want to see him blow out his knees going up angainst 260 Lb centers.
    Can't help but like what we see but maybe we should see him for 1/2 season before giving him DHOF status.

5. max

max All-Star

Risky strategy they are playing here with Amir, if this is in fact what they are doing. Not playing him in a contract year to keep his value down.

There are no secrets in the NBA. If Dumars thinks that other GM's do not have exhaustive scouting reports on every player on every team then he is sadly mistaken.

On the plus side of this non-play strategy. Any GM will have a hard time convincing their employers to offer anything more than 5mil or so/yr on a young guy that hardly played, regardless of his potential.

On the downside - why would Amir want to re-sign here? Wouldn't you be kind of teed off if your team was purposly not playing you in a contract year? Go somewhere else and its guaranteed PT versus Dumars telling him he will play more if he signes.

Yes we can match 2nd round picks now regarless of the cap situation. Does not mean much if the guy wants to leave.

6. roscoe36

Merc, I'm thinking our 2007 motto should be,

"A Hall of Fame Club for every player".

:D

7. max

max All-Star

Have to be concious of what happend with McGrady back in 01. Late HS
    pick that showed a lot of potential and got a max offer from the Magic. He only played around 20 MPG for the Raptors the season before the max deal.

8. detteam

detteam All-Star

merc...I see your take as guarded optimism...well-founded on the weight and injury issues.

None of us really know that much about Amir...which makes me wonder why we haven't seen him over the last couple weeks...not even in semi-GT. It just calls into question whether he is 'that bad' or 'that good'? The fact that he's on the roster makes me think the latter.

9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yes this is risky business... we don't know if Amir will be headed for Sioux Falls where he could get consistent PT...
    The only way things change around here is if Mr. D kicks the bucket... even though Joe says he's never received a mandate to not go over the Lux tax, the actions speak otherwise.
    I honestly think this will work out for Amir and the Pistons... the one upside is the extra time that Maxiell is receiving (instead of sharing with a 3rd PF)... we've got Blalock, Jmax & Delfino on a fast track now... to me that's acceptable... I don't see Amir walking to a team that will out bid the Pistons next year (the year Dice is gone?)... the kid has 14 years in this league and three more contracts to look forward to.
    We don't all have to think like Lee in regards to major PT for all young players.

10. detteam

detteam All-Star

I haven't heard anything about Amir wanting to leave. Why would he want to? Pretty fresh outta high school...no college experience...and practicing everyday against three of last years AllStars and 04 NBA champions. He has KG's long term coach...as well as the knowledge of three very well-regarded assistants. No doubt, he could leave Detroit for another opportunity and some PT...but he should feel pretty comfortable here now given his youth and the wealth of NBA experience that surrounds him.

It seems to me that Joe is being very careful with Amir...unlike Darko HVC.

11. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Cool video. I agree Amir looks about 2 inches or so shorter than Sheed, but I heard that Sheed was wearing some Dare platforms for that video. LOL

4" Dare Platform Boots

:cheerleader:

12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Like your take on practicing against allstars... not saying it's the same as real game situations but he can't help but improve from HS...
    This brings up other players pushing their teammates.
    Maxiels bulk & Strength vs Sheeeds length & Amir's athletisism
    Blalocks quickness and handles vs Chauncey's strength and poise (they both need this balance)
    Delfino's skills and weight against Tay's length
    Taz strength & rebounding vs Nazr's post game

These battles could be more intense than actual games... hopefully benefiting all involved.

13. roscoe36

The Bad Boys would get into fist fights (from accounts). The bench or B Team would beat the crap out of the starters because they wanted their positions.

That was a different age though. Today's player is a lot less competitive and desperate for a pay day. They're all fat cats.

Every interview I have seen with Amir, he's just so damn happy to play. Let's hope he has great things coming in his future.

14. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Will Amir be pissed he doesn't play? maybe. But if you ever hear him talk it sounds like he is pretty humble and happy to have the gauranteed NBA money. Remember he was the last pick in the 2nd round. he could be in Dleague purgatory right now trying to get his first salary. I bet hes pretyy pleased 19 yr old working hard, hanging out with his idols and counting his money.

15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I LOVE the optimism, but....

Amir : 20 points and 4 rebounds in 39 career NBA minutes
    KG: 17,868 points and 9680 rebounds in 33,466 minutes

16. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

aha! But Amir kills him in percentages! A whopping 75% from the field, 67% from 3 point range, and 100% from the line!!!

Garnett Shmarnett!!!!

17. detteam

detteam All-Star

LMAO! Welcome to the AJHOF club! :cheerleader:

18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Got a good chuckle from both of you guys.... although it would be interesting to hear Flips take on Amir & KG at 19... seems like there was a comment on this but I can't find it...
    BTW, you can get questions answered by a beat writer that is likely the closest to the Pistons Insiders
    Pistons mailbag

19. linwood

linwood All-Star

Obviously, it's very hard to get a good idea of a players true worth from such limited minutes. If, however, you were to extend these numbers out to a per 33,466 minute stat, you would clearly see Amir's worth.

KG= 17,868 points per 33,466 minutes.
    AJ=17,162 points per 33,466 minutes.

Looking at these numbers, it is clear that KG is only about 4% better than Amir. However, Amir is much younger than KG, witch much room for improvements.

The rebounding numbers don't compare favorably, so I have chosen to leave those out.

:stirthepot:

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Great analysis Linwood! And a good decision to omit rebs.