Is Detroit capable of developing it's own?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by 16 Mile, Jul 31, 2006.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Did you forget about Rasheed Wallace or did you just start following the Pistons?
  2. hangtime

hangtime First Round Draft Pick

Good point, but I was looking at post Rasheed activity since the other teams made the moves I pointed out post-rasheed and post our finals appearances.
  3. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

the ron dupree signing is quite a head scratcher. we know he stinks. the rooks and young guys are unknowns.

the only thing I can think is that Joe knows are young guys are not going to make it on the court.

prepare for more 7 man rotations, 8 at the most, fellas.

This thread is dead. Youth don't play in Detroit.
  4. pas99

pas99 Second Round Draft Pick

Excellent point: young talent and the present day immaturity levels are huge handicaps for 1-4 year inductees. Unless you have ready access to the top five draft picks, it is all one huge crap-shoot. The draft and those that stick around past 3 years is a savior oriented playground for high hopes quickly dashed.

You need a big center and one excellent scorer-playmaker. The rest are selected roles defined by team culture (geographic and class orientation), media sophistication, ownership perceptions, coaching-staff philosophy, starting-bench chemistry, health and some luck.

If you look at the Eastern Conference, there are only two who qualify and will be left standing: Miami and Detroit (and the latter are doing it without a center which should give you a clue on how tough they really are).

The Western Conference has the same: Dallas and San Antonio. Personally, I think it is San Antonio’s to lose.

It certainly is a hoot, so see all this mooning and hand-wringing from the gallery: full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

FWIW…while Ben made himself into a necessity; he had some great psychological support from the fans and the media. I wish him well, but you never hear about what he might have lost. I mean…how many cars can you drive at once? It might be ironic that his greatest missing memory might be the neighborhood kids coming over wanting to play with the remotes. You never know.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Not necesarily. If Carlos Delfino doesn't play Joe is going to fire Flip. Delfino will get pt, Flip Murray will get pt, Dice will get pt, and Lindsey will get pt.

That's 9 players right there. Plus it's very likely J Max might get some significant minutes as well. So if guys who think the bench can help best case scenario is 10 players and worst case is 8.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

This thread answers to D59 a little bit.
    If you can't sit on your hands, and keep your mouth shut, JD will trade you. I'm not talking about Hill or Houston situations, but Darko and maybe Fino. But in their defense, if you think you deserve more be prepared to fight a running [trade] battle.
    For Mo to get 15 min. was huge @ $1.5 mil. Although most here hated Mo, Zenmaster thinks he can use some of that!!!
  7. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I would suggest that the reason you keep hearing the same old arguments for playing the young players to develop them is that we keep hearing the same old arguments against playing them.

And not playing them has not gotten the job done, so why not try playing them. You have to count the last 'ship on the side of playing them because we did, that year.

I have never seen stats posted to show that playing a less experienced player 5 or 7 minutes a game, ever lost a game, but even if it might lose a game here or there, the ability to have people ready to come in off the bench would offset it.

Oh, yeah, that's not important.

Never mind!!
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

If a 1-5 pick can't get you 5-7 minutes without anguish, why draft him.
    A GD 6-12 pick should get 5-7 minutes.
    Never mind !
  9. hangtime

hangtime First Round Draft Pick

AMEN. My sentiments exactly.
  10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Does GD stand for Good Draft pick?
    If so I'm not sure Darko qualifies :P
  11. max

max All-Star

Pistons have developed Prince and Okur. Just not enough decent picks. Its a little tough when you throw away 3 lottery picks in 6 years ( Cleaves, White, Darko ) but Prince and Okur are playing like lottery picks. Too bad we did not have Okur now.
  12. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Cleaves and White were honest mistakes, it wasn't physically possible to develop them. Okur, we had a choice, because he was a 2nd round pick, of either him or Sheed, you can't blame Joe for that.

But as far Darko, we expected him to act like a veteran, even though he was some punk 17 year old kid, that didn't speak English, and just got 10 mil in his bank account. Well, we developed him. Unfortunately, we didn't realize it.

He's now a 20 year old, WallaceX2 trained, LB taught, Karner built, p'oed Serb with something to prove. Except he's playing for Orlando.

Joe, get some cap space, and get ready to offer the kid the max. No way Orlando pays Darko and Dwight the max. You brought back the dupe, nothing wrong with bringing back the Serbian Gangster.
  13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Darko is never coming back to Detroit. Some folks need to move on...
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Bill, Darko will probably be back twice next season.
  15. max

max All-Star

And yet the kid still has not proved anything. To me Okur is the one that got away. Okur has established himself as one of the games dominate big men and we still focus on Darko because of his draft position.

Heres food for thought. If we did not have Darko's expensive rookie contract then could we have retained Okur?
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You mean if we did not have the draft pick at all. Even if we took Melo at #2, there salary would have been the same. It's a fixed scale for rookies.

We still could not have retained Okur.

* We were holding onto Sheed's Bird Rights (I believe) which means that his last season salary counted 1.5 times against the cap, capping us out.

* Due to being capped out, and without the new rules in place, we couldn't bid competitively on Memo.

So the answer is no. Darko did not affect Memo's situation.
  17. max

max All-Star

Yes if we did not have the pick period. Would we have been better off if we never got the dang thing. Looks like it would not have matterd, thanks for answering that.

There were a lot of things going on with Okur. He never publicly said it, never pulled a Delfino in the Turkish press but you can tell that he did not like LB and probably would not have signed anyway.

Still - we had him and he turned out to be good and is playing for another team. That 9 mil/yr looks like a pretty good deal at this point.
  18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah but he would've cut in on BBeen's minutes and others. <:~`]
  19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I see Max's point... If we would have just given the #2 pick away for free we may have been better off (Memo instead of the Orlando pick).

Still makes ya shake your head.... biggest draft blunder in the last 10 years?
    Guess we'll have to wait 3 years to see how the Orlando pick turns out (two years for development)

I think we'll see more development over the next few years as the older players move past prime.
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Well of course you would see Max's point. Some think we did give the pick away! LOL
    What's a 2 pick to a perenial 'ship team anyway? Dead weight. We can't stoop that low. We need seasoned players now.
    Rookies, please...