Is Detroit capable of developing it's own?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by 16 Mile, Jul 31, 2006.

1. max

max All-Star

Thats the type of attitude that lead to our current situation. We make of them when they ask for more PT ( I just vant to play ), keep signing vets to play in front of them ( Mo Evans). We forget that we never would have won in 04 without the contributions of 2 young guys named Prince and Okur that we developed when the team still saw room to improve within.

I guess you have to get humbled in sports every so often. Arrogance does not win championships.
  2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The only thing Detroit is capable of developing, is a cream for the bench players' butts.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I knew they were up to something.
    Especially with the big on the end. He never plays.
  4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

now, that's funny. :laugh:
  5. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

As long as it isn't Flip's homemade remedy.
  6. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I hope it also works on those nasty Tazer burns.
  7. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

I think you have it wrong, to me it seems as though all of the Piston's fans seem to have your "cream" for ONLY THE STARTING FIVE.

God forbid someone makes a comment about Ben's free throw shooting, or Sheed reluctance to play hard or about Sheed's Techs or Billup's inablility to shoot straight vs MIA. God forbid if a Pistons fan isn't all over the starters jocks. Even suggesting that one of the Pistons bench players deserve a shot will get you "tarred and feathered" in most Pistons forums.

I don't think it's fair to give the starters a free pass, time after time. Why shouldn't the starters be accountable? Why must it always be "the bench hasn't proven themselves yet?" When does the bench get a chance to prove themselves when the starters are getting a free pass? When you see Sheed NOT PLAYING HARD, Or Ben SULKING and playing half-arsed, when is enough, enough? When does the bench finally get their chance? How can you get to be "proven" when you don't get an opportunity? I just think is BS when fans continue to give the starters a "free pass" while ripping on the bench guys for every little mistake they make. How do you expect the bench guys to get "experienced" without the PT?

Mark my words:

In two years or less, Darko will be more valuable to his respective team than Ben Wallace will be to his.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I haven't seen people ripping on the bench guys for small mistakes. You must be referring to another forum. The primary indicator of fan satisfaction in these parts has been effort and hustle. If the player is trying, that is usually good enough.

Probably the same way people get their first jobs without any experience. You do the little things. You go the extra mile. You work harder, and you get creative.

It's a foregone conclusion that if these benchers we have were on Toronto, Atlanta or Charlotte they would be getting a lot of burn. Of course, all of those teams don't have an elite starting group.

Accept it for what it is. I'd imagine 20 teams would trade places with Detroit overnight. We have the best of both worlds. More accumulated (young) bench talent (and upcoming picks) than Miami, Cleveland, San Antonio, Dallas or Phoenix.
  9. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

That may be true, but how may times have you seen "our elite starting group" fall behind by 20 pts to a team that isn't even in their league. How about losing to Charlotte, or Washington TWICE, or other "slacker teams".

My issue is with the fact that the "elite starters" don't get held accountable for just playing lackadaisical and not giving it their all. We all know how great the starters are, unfortunately, they know it too. They "coast" all too often and it's a great source of frustration for a fan when he knows they can play so much harder or better. I can't stand hearing that "the starters are proven, so they are allowed to play that way". Well, even when a bench player played their arse off it didn't mean he would get minutes the next quarter, half or game, whereas the starters + Dice never had to worry/look over their shoulders when they didn't "show up".

That is where my frustration lies.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Sports is entertainment. I try not to let it frustrate me. Life is too short.
  11. linwood

linwood All-Star

Well said, colonel.
  12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

This whole team has to be accountable. Top to bottom...from one end of the bench to the other INCLUDING the twitchy guy with a pink slip half filled out.

For that to happen you have to define what they are accountable for. hopefully we'll see that early on from our coach.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

yeah this is one of the most critical Piston forums ever.
    Do you believe some people have the audacity to say CB can't defend quick PGs. Or he got a big head cause people told him he was MVP material. Which means he is the best player on the best team.
    Or Rip goes cold too often.
    Or Sheed won't work the paint like a big man should.
    Or Tay isn't a ball hog enough, because he picks his spots.
    BBeen was all world and he let him go.
    Dice should be starting but he would rather come off the bench.
    They all get to pick and choose. Mo was useless bum but the Lakers like him.
    JD found 5 diamonds in the ruff. Turned them into a 'ship club but now everyone wants the other teams best players because they like to see employee turnover, and they have no loyalty. And they think they can do a better job than JD. Maybe they can do a better job than Zeke.
    Oh, and LB used Zeke. Took a totally superior attitude with him.
    No weakness goes unexposed.