Is Dumars losing the confidence of the fans?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Ozarkruffrider, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

A couple of national radio hosts that are all-sports (not expressly NBA) are now beginning to talk like JoeD is losing it by "mistakes" such as Darko, Ai, Curry, and his drafting not turning out well.

What can I say in return to prove them wrong, or is this really the case that if he doesn't get the team back, he could be on the hot seat and fired?
  2. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Absolutely not. We have won more games in the last 8 years than just about anybody. Sure he has made mistakes. But he is human! We have been spoiled these last few years, we have had it so nice. Joe D is still the man in my book. We just had a nice 8 year run. Since we weren't going to win it anymore, Joe decided it was time to trade away, get younger, and try again. Plus he knows what is needed to win. He has won as a player and he has won as a GM. We won't be down too long.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

With this year's draft, the signing of Villenueva and Gordon, and the firing of Curry, my support for Joe Dumars has actually grown stronger this summer. Joe D's job is very safe, in my opinion.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I will defend Joe Dumars with BillLaimbeer's life.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks, 63eocsor.
  6. Buckeyes#1

I'd rather be a 63eocsor than a lib anyday.
  7. Buckeyes#1

Just kidding. Bill Laimbeer is cool. He knows what a derivative and an integral are.
  8. kcpistonfan

kcpistonfan First Round Draft Pick

I think it is a case that he raised the bar to high to early. Almost every move he made early was golden. The problem is that sports are a number game. Eventually the numbers have to balance out. As a result, he has been on the bad end of some things as of recent. However, I must admit I am supportive of most of the roster moves lately, but if we end up with a bum of a coach I might start to lose confidence as well. We have got much younger and there shouldn't be much of a dropoff, but this coaching crap is sad.
  9. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Are we talking about real fans or bandwagon-a$$ cats here? Real fans know that there always will be bad with good. However, if you judge all GMs by results according to the latest Joe bashing, 70% of the teams around the NBA should be replacing their GMs every other year or so since a lot don't have much of a success. Everything is comparative. Joe's done much better than most. That's the bottom line.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I trust this franchise to Joe D, all day long.
  11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think so too.

I love the CV signing.

I really like the Gordon signing.

I wish he picked Lambs, but lucky for him Avery basically said "no" and I think the guy we got is going to be a pleasant surprise. I really have a good feeling here.

The draft seemed to go OK too.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm seriously doubting Dumars decisions.

I didn't like losing Corliss or Okur. I didn't like that he allowed our #2 pick to rot on the pine. Didn't like how he hired Flip, who was an offensive coach who's schemes died in the playoffs. Didn't like his annual weak sauce backup SF signings. Hated that he allowed coaches to chase reg season wins at the expense of developing/ showcasing our bench. Thought the MC hire was borderline insanity. Almost lost it completely when he traded our best player (Billups) after looking strong in the pre-season and early season. Couldn't believe it was real when he had AI and Rip playing musical chairs. Thought MC should have been fired after 2 weeks. I believe he's straying away from our defensive philosophy and that we will never win a ship again until he does an about face on that front. And so on.

I wouldn't recommend firing Joe yet, but I'm wondering who he really is. I guess I'm losing confidence in him. He hasn't made a move or done anything that has wowed me since the Sheed transaction, which was half a decade ago.
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Co-sign.

This is exactly how i feel.
  14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This is such an irritating perception. Being a real fan doesn't require accepting things w/o question.

-------------------

Not really. Joe has set his own standards and he has to live up to them not the OKC Thunders.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm sure that I am forgetting good things that he has done, so this is not a rhetorical question.

What are the top 5 best things that Dumars has done for the Pistons since Feb 20th, 2004?
  16. roscoe36

But it is also not validation of every fan opinion, baseless and unfounded or not.

I'm not perfect and get into the judgment game, but I can't help but question how much fans can claim to know when they don't even watch all of the games, let alone know what happens in the locker room, huddle or practice.

There is a point where having too little access, means that opinions are formed basically as wild guesses.
  17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I never said it was.
    -------------
    What pretty much everyone does on this forum is speculation or "guessing" based on what they see; no access, little, alot, etc. It's 98% opinion.

So i feel like criticism is fair game

My main problem is that when someone is critical, there seems to be a swell of "You must not be a real Piston fan, do you know how great Joe is?" or "I've been a Pistons fan for <insert large amount of years, I was here when <insert random player/sucky era> so you can't possibly know, etc).

I'm not saying every critical opinion is valid or even well-informed; just that i don't see how someone decides the criteria for what makes someone a "true fan" or not.
  18. roscoe36

McDyess.
    Not re-sign Ben Wallace.
    Lined up Flip Saunders before Larry was fired.
    Got rid of that annoying Rock Financial presenter guy
    Didn't authorize a return to teal for the rebuild.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is a quick rule of thumb. If you don't have at least 9K posts on PF.com, then you are just another pretty avatar.
  20. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I'd say this is correct.