Is Dumars losing the confidence of the fans?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Ozarkruffrider, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

That's a pretty high bar TaS. How about just 640 or so?
  2. Walter

1. Signing McDyess
    2. Turning Darko & Arroyo into Stuckey
    3. Not matching Chicago's offer for Big Ben
    4. Trading Billups at a time when his trade value was really high
    5. Not firing any coaches mid-season
  3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    What did San Antonio do? They still revolve around their "core". They are in the same boat and they reloaded this year.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Cool picture. I love that movie.
  5. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

Yes. He is. But it doesn't matter.

What matters is if he is losing the confidence of the players and agents. I think he is OK there, but he is not held in the highest regard as he once was.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

1) getting a veteran backup big man for a low price
    2) minimizing the worst drafting error in recent memory
    3) Not doing something
    4) Trading the best player for a guy who walked away during the playoffs after causing a massive chemistry disruption
    5) Not doing something else.

I'm telling ya, Joe is in a hitting slump. If you compared this list against the accomplishments of other top GM's in the league over the same timeframe, you would probably see a big difference.
  7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

That's my point. Just b/c someone is critical does not mean they don't like the team. This is a forum. The whole point is throw ideas around and debate it. If we were just posting positive or non-critical sentiment there would be no point for this place. And if we were just here to re-affirm that everything that the Pistons do is great and rationalize it to eachother, we'd be a cult not a message board.

edited to add;

Sometimes Joe reminds me of a lesser Derek Jeter. Criticizing Jeter for anything in NY even if he's been mediocre for awhile is blasphemy.
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Prove it!!!
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I guess if you call Richard Jefferson re-loading, OK. They only go as far as Duncan and at this point in his career, he will NEVER be healthy again.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This year or each year?
  11. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Complacency and panic. That's the problem with Joe since we won a title. Before then, he wasn't under a lot of pressure, and slowly built the team through some shrewd player acquisitions, head coach hiring, and the occasional dumb draft pick (see RW).

Since then, he's had a lot of dumb draft picks, few if no good player pickups, and some poor coaching choices.

After panicking last year, he's rebuilt a good, but not great, young team. This team looks built to be in the playoffs year after year, but never contend. I thought the plan was to contend. Somehow, Joe is going to have to figure out how to get us a dominate player.

BTW, I look at the Lakers this year as the anti Joe. They won, no complacency, instead of just resigning and overpaying their role players, they were able to let Ariza walk, potentially Lamar, and sign Artest. And I'm sure they are not done trying to improve the team.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Losing? Lost!!!!!
  13. Stun

Stun First Round Draft Pick

If you were in Duamrs place would you made huge moves?Do you understand how it's hard to trade core players?And it's the only way,if you excpect an upgrade from CF to F.When you build a big card construction do you easily try to upgrade it?Like puting more cards to make it more stable or making it bigger?
  14. Stun

Stun First Round Draft Pick

And you think they will win again or go to finals?I think not.
  15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Sorry...I'm just another ugly avatar :yellowprison:
  16. Oda

Oda Second Round Draft Pick

right on Buck... Oz the national media do not like the Pistons even when they were Champs in 04 they were still being disrespected. This organization had to earn their respect not by drafting high profile players... getting a Kobe or Lebron.... by the way they play basketball..the way it should be played... as a team.. no one is bigger then the team.. If I'm not mistaken JD traded for misfits and castaways when he constructed in my book one of the best teams in all of sports ... the only other team in the NBA to reach 6 Conference Finals in a row were the LA Lakers and that was when their roster was littered with stars... JD did it with castaways... the only franchise that reminds me of the way the Stones do things are the New England Patriots... Joe may have made some flub ups with Curry, Darko and a few others but the good out weighs the bad ten fold... and who hasn't made mistakes ... besides Joe will correct his mistakes unlike Bill Ford Sr and Matt Millen .. if not this season .. next season will be the one where the Stones make the run again...Book it
  17. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

No, I think they will be a 7th or 6th seed for the foreseeable future, and go out in the 1st round, year after year after year.
  18. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Personally, I think whether or not he has the confidence of the fans is irrelevant. He could do this job just fine without any of the fans at any point.

I do, however, think it's possible to be a fan and not like the decisions being made by the team. It goes in cycles...when I was happy with the way things were being orchestrated by Joe D...PF.com didn't exist. I was on the "pleased" side and had to argue with all the "not pleased" fans. So, I think for now some of those "pleased" fans from my era may now be on the "not pleased" side and vice versa.

As long as we have different sides of the table, this place will always be vibrant and a blast to be a part of.
  19. Walter

Ok, let's take GMs of the last two champions:

Danny Ainge.
    1-) Trading for KG
    2-) Trading for Ray Allen
    3-) ...?

Kupschak
    1-) Sticking w/Kobe
    2-) Trading for Gasol
    3-) ...?
  20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This is such a good point. In 02-03-04, even 05, i remember being annoyingly optimistic and positive. I loved the philosophy of the team, and Larry Brown.