Is Dumars losing the confidence of the fans?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Ozarkruffrider, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I talk to rocks all the time...you'd be surprised at what they tell you.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

SportingNews.com - The Sporting Blog

Not much new here, but typical outsider misunderstanding the situation here and how strong our hand still is.

3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Here's another outsider misread of the current situation:

Hoopsanalyst.com
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Still just naming players, tell me specifically how Joe was suppossed to actually acquire these players, who was he going to trade? And you really think outbidding LA for Odom would have thing? I'm done....seriously, I'm done.
  5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Please.

...Please don't mention T-Mac, his contract or in any way allude to Tracy MacGrady possibly being affiliated with the Detroit Pistons organization ever again.

...please. :)
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This ^^^
  7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

You realize that LA has to pay lux tax on Odom right? And that they are offering him a little over 8 mil? And that up until recently (maybe even still) his agent has been looking for a sign and trade.

You don't think had POR offered LO a better deal he would be gone by now?

Let's see . . .

For Boozer, UTAH supposedly wanted cap space which we had or Prince.

Richard Jefferson and Vince Carter were traded for a young guy and some expirings.

Milsap is a restricted FA, Trevor Ariza was a FA . . .

NOH is in desperate need of cap relief as you stated yourself

Just b/c you like the moves doesn't mean there weren't other possibilities.
  8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Ok LOL

Yes.
  9. max

max All-Star

I don't think we would like Odom here. He is like Sheed without the defense. Proverbial underachiever and downright frustrating to watch. Besides he has to be over 30 by now.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Odom sucks. That is why no one wants to sign him. LA is offering $7 million last I checked.

VC, Odom, McGrady. If this was 2003, maybe. In 2009? :yellowprison:
  11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Normally i would agree, but if you gave me a choice b/w CV and Odom, Odom looks like Kobe Bryant to me.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Port is on the verge of being a contender, to get him to come here we'd have to spend about $50M....are you serious, for a 31 yr old player who is obviously on his decline.

So you would have been happy to spend $12.5M of the $$$$ on Boozer? Becasue THEY DON'T WANT PRINCE OR RIP. Utah wants cap space, but they aren't desperate, they'll pay the tax for a year if neccessary.

Of which we had neither, again 2 more players on their decline.

Millsap and Ariza, now we can disagree on this but I think both of those players are system players. Notice that Ariza rarely created his own shot, he played weakside of Kobe and Pau, Millsap played off of D.Williams. Believe me when I say Hou will be sorry.

So simply eating Chandler's contract would have solved everything? OK, if you believe that, you believe it!!

The only possibilities you mentioned were to (1) Go after RESTRICTED FREE AGENT'S. This NEVER works, the hometeam basically waits for you to do 1of 2 things, do their negotiations for them or overpay, RFA's almost always stay put, and those that chase them usually are left with nothing or waaaaaay to big of a contract. (2) Go after marginal players whose best years are behind them........

Maybe it's a good thing that the fans aren't satisfied with Joe, because the popular moves would have landed us deep in the lottery for years.
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't the price tag would be nearly that steep, but i don't see why they don't do it. They are in desperate need of veterans, it would fill a need, and severely weaken their competition. They were willing to throw an insane amount of money at 30 year old Turkeyglue.
    How do you know they don't want Prince? And yes Boozer looks alot more appealing then what we have right now.

The two things those players to do is play defense. I would have been happy with BG and a defensive player.
    BG and CV don't solve anything. In fact they create new problems. That's not even the point to begin with. Had we gotten Chandler he would be a piece and fill a position we were at need in.

Not really. Ariza and BG would have been better. As would a few other pairs. Also POR is going after Milsap, and one thing they've done is include a huge signing bonus that UTAH is hesitant to deal with. Even if you don't get the RFA, you drive up their price somewhat, and since i feel like we overpaid for the FA's we got, overpaying is not an issue i'm going to make a big deal about right now.
    -------------

I don't believe so, but mediocrity isn't much better.
  14. max

max All-Star

I get the feeling you say that just because CV is the one we happened to get.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Its really good to read someone who knows their stuff. Your posting here alone makes it worth my time to stop by. Thanks.
  16. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

@ lpgrl: do you have information whether Ariza or one of your "heroes" actually had ANY desire to live in Detroit?

Since we do not see them in Pistons roster, I can assume that no.
  17. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Only when he's eats candy.
  18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Definitely not. Odom can play defense and he can rebound. That alone makes him infinitely better in my eyes.

Did we have any indication that Ben Gordon wanted to live in DET?

Doesn't mean they did or didn't want to b/c they are not on the roster. Money talks.
  19. max

max All-Star

I have never thought about Odom as any kind of a defender but maybe you have watched more games of him than I.

At any rate - do you think it's fair to compare CV to someone with 7 more years of experience? What was Odom like at age 24?

What comprises a good defender?

Physical attributes - speed and strength.

Mental. Experience and a desire to get better. Plus smarts - as it is a thinking persons aspect to the game.

Charlie certainly has the speed and he can always gain more strength. He seems to be intelligent based on what he has been saying since the signing. He acknowledges that his defense can improve and wants to get better. He certainly has the quickness and height to be a solid rebounder.

Thing is when you get a developing player you don't know what he is going to develop into yet. But if he does match or exceed expectations then you can really have something - you know a player that has exceeded his market value from the time you signed him.

He had a great year, for him, last year so he appears to be on the right track. We will see. If you want to win championships and stuff then you have to be prepared to take a few risks.
  20. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

I'd slit my wrists before I decided to build my Rosta around Lamar Odom.