Is it just me, or is LeBron becoming more likable?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Feb 15, 2013.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

I still don't like the treatment he gets from the referees, or how he's become accustomed to it - but that's not really HIS fault (it's that SOB David Stern's). I still don't like him as a person, and I'm probably never going to - but he has become much more mature. In dealing with the media too... he's definitely more of a team / winning-oriented person now. (e.g. Michael Jordan tries to get into the news this week by starting some sh*t with him..."I'd take Kobe over him"...and instead of responding how I would've..."Who in the hell cares what the worst GM in NBA history thinks"...he had a very professional response).

Maybe it's just because we're not contenders right now, but damnit, I love watching him play. I love his game. He plays so damn smart now. And he's become such a great outside shooter. Play him up and he'll drive right past you. Play him off and he'll sink a J. Double him and he'll find the wide-open teammate. He's such a complete player!?

He's in his prime right now, and the question is - is it better than MJ's prime?

I was born in 1987, so most of what I remember of MJ were his last three championship runs. Based on that, the compare/contrast is as follows..

1) LeBron is a better teammate. I've hated him in the past. But I've never heard one teammate say a bad word about him. From what I can remember of MJ, there was pretty much constantly a teammate b*tching about him throughout his entire career.

2) LeBron is a better passer. No question about it.

3) LeBron is, at least, as good of an outside shooter. He might be better..

4) LeBron is, at least, as good on the drive. Not as quick as MJ, but so much bigger and stronger that it doesn't matter. Again, might be better.

5) LeBron has a MUCH better inside game. The man is Karl Malone-sized.

6) LeBron is a MUCH better rebounder, shot-blocker, interior defender, etc. Again, Malone-sized.

7) LeBron is almost, perhaps as, good of a perimeter defender. He doesn't get steals like MJ, and he's not quite as quick. But his size and strength more than makes up for the difference. It's rare to see anyone get by him.

8) MJ still has intangibles on him, but that's about it, and for how long? we shall see. MJ was clutch. Six for six in NBA finals. He wanted the ball in, and at the end of, big games. He was going to be the guy that won or lost it. And he usually won it. It's hard to quantify the importance of that. But I'd say that whatever team LeBron is on in the next five seasons - that's going to be the championship front-runner. So, we'll see what he does with it. If he wins a few more, I think I'd be comfortable giving him the edge over MJ..
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't think it's even close. MJ was amazing.
  3. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

MJ make Pippen a top 50 player of all time (thats just laughable), I always HATED MJ, but I sure as hell respected and feared him. During the 72 win season he never allowed the team to take the night off, how many games have the Heat mailed in during the last 3 years? Lebron has tons of talent and if he had the heart and will that MJ had he'd already have 4-5 titles in Cleveland IMO.

The national media has changed there narrative thats why he seem's more likeable. He has done nothing to change what he is.... If you liked him 4 years ago, chances are you like him still. If you hated him 4 years ago, chances are you still hate him. That is assuming your using your own brain and not allowing the media to influence you. It made for a great story for the Nation to hate him after the decision up till he won the title, now they need a new story. So now its not cool to harp on him every chance. So he's back to where he was 4 years ago except he changed teams and has a title. So he lost the Cleveland fans and gained a few more bandwagon fans and of course the Miami fans.

So short answer to your question is the National coverage would want you to think he's more likeable.

Saying that... there are very few non Pistons I'd say I'm a fan of. I cheer for some ex-pistons... heck (It's a hard one to admit) but while Dennis made his home in the windy city I even was happy to see that team win.

As for players never playing for Detroit that I've rooted for. Nash, Duncan and Glen Rice would be my short list.
  4. roscoe36

When MJ played, you could get mauled going to the basket, and the refs wouldn't bail you out. LBJ plays in a soft league compared to the NBA in the late 80s and early 90s.
  5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Exactly. If MJ in his prime played in today's league, he'd average just south of 40 points a game.

LeBron is definitely an amazing player with tons of talent, and as a person I don't think he's any worse than your average NBA player. I personally don't hate LeBron the player, I hate LeBron the phenomenon; all the favorable calls, the media fawning over him, the aura of transcendence that seems to follow him around, "The Decision" etc etc.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I would argue that it's not possible for a true Pistons fan to root for either one of those guys.
    I've always "appreciated the abilities" of Jordan & LeBron.
    I've always rooted for both of them to fail at anything and everything that they do. If it came down to a decision to buy a product that one of these guys endorsed or another product and all other factors were equal. I'd chose to buy the OTHER product.
    jzchen and round like this.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You were analyzing MJ when you were 8 years old?
  8. roscoe36

I think Jordan in his prime was Kobe Bryant + 50%.
  9. roscoe36

I rooted for the Bulls second three peat.
  10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Not me.
    I was even rooting against the Birmingham Barons during that one season.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  11. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I rooted for Rodman and his two sidekicks on the Bulls... :D
    jzchen and roscoe36 like this.
  12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

When LBJ accomplishes what Jordan accomplished then we can talk. But, yes, he is becoming more likable. Of course, that might just be because he was so utterly wretched for so long. LBJ becoming more likable is a pretty low bar.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think lebron would have been more dominant in the days of contact bball. He's like a football player.
    linwood likes this.
  14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe we'll kick you off the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. roscoe36

Wait until you guys find out I was a communist in the 90s.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The original PistonsForum logo:

[​IMG]
    Nemo, dba, BallDon'tLie and 2 others like this.
  17. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I love this so much.
  18. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

LeBron James of Miami Heat says it's unfair to judge players based on titles won - ESPN

If I'm LBJ, I would have just STFU. But being 'installed' as the 'the King' at such young age and without any college education, I'm not surprised he reacted to this with such dumb analysis. What MJ meant when he pick Kobe over him because of the 5 titles is that Kobe played on a team with only an perennial all star in Shaq and a bunch of role players during their 3 peat years. And when Kobe won the next 2, he did with an in and out all star in Gasol and a bunch of role players. In short, he carried the team like MJ did. Like what round said, MJ made Pippen an all star as well the 50 top players in the NBA in 90s. What did LBJ did? He did not achieve anything at Cleveland and he made 'the Decision' and join Wade & Bosh who are perennial all stars at their peak at Miami. Even if he wins the NBA title for the next 2 years (3 peat), he is still nowhere near Kobe, let alone MJ.

Unless he can win the NBA title without Wade in the next few years, then I would put him in contention with the likes of Kobe, Magic & MJ. Worst part is when he made the analysis with Jud Buechler and Barkley on the 'rings' issue. Just what the hell is he drinking?

I just hope that the 1 NBA title he won last year will be the only NBA title he will retire with.
  19. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

He took a team of scrubs to the Finals.

I really don't understand the Lebron hate. It's a really uniquely American culture clique.

Comparing Lebron to Kobe is just a total wash. He is just a better player, period, in every way. LBJ and MJ, well I personally like LBJ more as a player, but they were both fantastic. Also, I can't seem to understand why everyone defends MJ, even though he was a far bigger douche than LeBron (rose tinted glasses?).
  20. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

LeBrons analysis makes more sense than yours.