Is it safer to draft a guard?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Aug 9, 2013.

?

Does drafting small decrease bust potential?

1. Yes, the guards are more likely to pan out in the NBA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, because big guys are more prone to injury

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, because the size can blind General Managers to the inadequacies

10.0%
  4. No, because it is always hit or miss in the draft

60.0%
  5. No, because you cannot teach size

30.0%
  1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

It think its because more people reach for bigs. Its like the small crumbs in the potato(e) chip bag.
  3. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Not a chance.

You know why you don't hear about the guards bust stories? Because there are so freaking many. Its the same across all positions.
  4. Kerghan

Kerghan First Round Draft Pick

I think it is generally just safer to draft the best player available.

Over thinking happens with the Draft a lot of the time.

Mind you that doesn't answer the question so I will say yes due to most GM's and coaches not having enough job security to see a players development through to the end and since bigs usually take longer you are safer with a guard.
    You are more likely to get instant gratification with a guard than a big.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You do not draft the best player available. You draft the one you think will help you get more wins in the future. For instance, if you have a perfectly fine point guard, why draft another one, no matter how good? In my opinion, for instance, the Pistons did not gain a darn thing by drafting Knight when they already had Stuckey. Sure Stuckey has his faults, but so does Knight. Replacing Knight with Stuckey got us nothing in terms of wins. And I doubt, despite the spin from Milwaukee, that Knight would have ever gotten any better than Stuckey in terms of getting us wins.

On the other hand, we have drafted Monroe, a darn good post up player, and Drummond, a very strong defensive player, at a time we needed them dearly. Great picks. Not because they are big, but they fill team needs toward getting a winning team together.

Pope is not that tall. But we sure need him. Since we gave away Afflalo for nothing. Pope is a deep threat, as was Afflalo, and like Afflalo, Pope can defend well. Heck, Pope just could be as good as Afflalo or better. (Remember, I am talking about the Afflalo who exceeded 40% on threes for Denver after he left here. Afflalo is a pretty darn solid player. And playing him meant wins, something Joe was seemingly adverse to. Yes, we hope Pope gets that good too, or better. But remember this, Afflalo was far and away our best perimeter defender when we had him on the team. Can Pope get there? I hope so. But I diverse.

Some may say, hey, we got Jennings for Knight. But did we really. Milwaukee and Jennings wanted to part ways. Milwaukee took our cast off more that they would part ways with Jennings than anything else. I wish Knight the best, but Milwaukee just might find Knight is not Jennings when it comes to scoring.

PS, we gave them Middleton in the deal, who I suspect will be a better player than Knight or Jennings. Emphasis on the word, "gave." Pretty typical for Dumars, giving a player away for nothing in return. Especially rookies who his choice of coach never deemed to play so we could really see what he was worth.

But I digress. Again. Forgive me if the thought that Dumars is still our GM does not thrill me any. I do find it acceptable, as I think landing Smith was a very good deal, and that Jennings might be a great fit here for us.

Back to drafting.Lets look at more players we have drafted. Rodman was drafted. Was he the "best player" available at the draft pick order where we selected him? In retrospect, sure he was. But why he led to us winning games was that he had a very unique skill set. Best rebounder of this era of basketball - though of course I hope Drummond takes that title from him - and yes, there has been another player that good at rebounding though thats a tragic story. And Rodman could flat out defend. Anyone but the very best post up players in the League. And Salley. Salley was to inside defense as Rodman was to perimeter defense. A whirlwind of arms. And he always went into overdrive at playoff time and became a tornado of arms.

And its not just drafting. How about any player we bring to the team. To build a winner, you don't care one iota about "best player", but rather, team needs in terms of skill sets, and who has those skill sets. Like we needed another interior defender. We got one in Uncle Cliff - who was our best interior defender -not Ben Wallace, when he was on the team. (Ben Wallace was the best overall defender by far, but in matchup after matchup when it came to guarding other teams bigs, it was Robinson who excelled. Ben was so good because he could take over the game by covering such a wide area, that it prevented most plays from working that the other team tried.) Of course, Cliff also set more picks, more readily, than the other four guys out there with him combined, and was our second leading scorer for much of the time he was with us. (after Stack of course.)

How about Zelly, or Corliss. Neither drafter by us, but they could score in the post. Or Barry and Damon Jones, a pair of guards who knew how to work the ball into the post just as Corliss has his guy locked up. Its skill sets you need, not the best player.

How about the trade that brought Aguirre here? I contend that we still could have won it all with Dantley, but I got to say, before Dantley, one of our teams biggest traits was that it was constantly scrambling to cover for Dantley's lack of height as a small forward. Just in terms of energy saved, that was a great trade. Aguirre was not the best defender, but you did not have to have your whole team highly trained to rotate to cover for him. Gee, they must have been using most of their practices on covering for Dantley. PS, regardless of what reasons people in the NBA had not to let Dantley play in the league for several more years, I will state right now, us fans were plain robbed. Watching Dantley work an offensive set was totally a thing of beauty, I'd say on par with an NFL fan getting to watch a Barry Sanders run.

I am done for now. But I will put yet one more plug in for just how good Daye was. He was the only guy on our team last season whose playing time translated into wins for us. Daye was wasted by us, asked far too often to shore up the interior D, which was horrid due to who we played, rather than use him where his strength lies, out on the perimeter where all that length bothered the heck out of opposing shooters. Between Daye, English, and Middleton, Dumars has managed to give away a whole lot of talent this past year. For nothing in return. (Except I am figuring Milwaukee would not have given us Jennings without us throwing in Middleton.)
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Oh Lee, you make me smile.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

So, the best player available?

Don't kid yourself. We picked the best players on the board at the time. Drummond fell deep on worries about his motor and that he was all potential.

You might just have lost me here.

Drafting on needs gets you players like Hasheem Thabeet, Kwame Brown and Darko Milicic getting picked above Carmelo Anthony (HOF candidate, top 5 pure scorer in the league), Dwayne Wade (HOF Lock, top 5 SG of all time), Chris Bosh (Perennial all star, HOF candidate), Pau Gasol (all star, HOF candidate), Tyson Chandler (defensive anchor, DPOY, has rings), James Harden (one of the best SG's in the league).

Those three were picked because they either filled needs, or had specific skills which were considered useful to the teams that drafted them. Thabeet was picked because Memphis needed a rebounder and a good defensive centre. Kwame, similar reasons. We all know about Darko. Those are just three. There is one every draft. The lesson? You never reach. Half the time, you can split the difference when you are on the clock and it can't be held against you. Other times, it becomes a real issue.

Cleveland just picked Anthony Bennett 1st overall. Because they needs a scorer who could move between the 3 and 4. Time will tell that was a bad pick. And it was done on needs. Needs are alluring, the hot teen in a skimpy dress. But she rarely puts out to the lottery winner, and when she does, its five minutes of jaw dropping, followed by months of pain.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Every year, Melo's usage rank is about the same as his points per game rank.

In 2013 for example, he led the league in usage at 35.6% and led in scoring at 28.7 points per game. In '10 and '11, he was 3rd in usage and 3rd in ppg.

He just shoots a lot. When leading the league in scoring average last season, he had an adjusted FG% of .502, which was 61st in the league. He was tied with Iguodala who plays great defense, but who people criticize for having an unreliable shot.

Some other high scoring guys like Kobe are also relatively inefficient, but at least they are great defenders.

And then there are guys like Lebron and Durant who are high in scoring, some of the most efficient scorers in the league, and also play great defense. It's no coincidence that their teams are contenders while Melo's teams are usually weak in the post season (8 first round knock outs in 10 appearances).
  9. linwood

linwood All-Star

Why do you hate KGREG so much?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He wasn't serious about the Melo stuff was he? I can't tell when you guys are joking anymore.
    BallDon'tLie, roscoe36 and linwood like this.
  11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He was serious about the Lala stuff.