Is It Time For a New General Manager (A Changing of the Guard)

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Nov 19, 2006.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I love Joe Dumars and want him to be the G.M. for life. I really can't imagine him not being a part of the Pistons organization.

I hate to say this, but JD may be slipping just a wee bit. He may be listening to the wrong folks, he may need to hire better consultants, Scouts i.e.

I wonder who has the most influence on Joe D's decision making, who has the final say on pulling the plug/not pulling it. Is Joe D's hands tied?

Is Joe just a figure head, or is he in total control regarding FA's trades i.e.?

Not to sound mean or cruel, but I really don't think Davidson has a clue on talent level, i.e., he is entirely too old and senile to fully gauge the needs of this basketball team.

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This thread topic is so wrong that it is ridiculous. Look what Joe D has done for this franchise since he took over as GM. The Pistons start out 5-5 and we should fire him? Give me a break.

3. armygirl

By no means am I campaigning to fire Joe Dumars. You can only dream of the admiration I have for Joe Dumars. He is a class act and a true professional.

Joe Dumars is my main man and have defended him so many times it's crazy. I would drink Joe D's bath water and wipe his ass simulataneously. Please don't accuse me of dissing Joe D, because that would/could never happen. I was probably following Joe D while you were ony a twinkle in your parents eye.

Read the thread again, It's not about firing Joe D, it's moreso about surrounding him with individuals who are better at judging talent.

This is a forum, it is always good to find out what other members on this great forum is thinking, not only about the players but those who are pulling the strings upstairs.

4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I think that it is not wild to say that the team may not be stocked well enough at present. We will know more as the games progress.

We are talented enough to contend again--provided we get a big who can play consistently along Sheed and a credible, younger back up to Chauncey.

What is hard to discern is that it may not be Joe but purse-strings (read owner) who contains Joe's ability to make moves. I like what Dyss has done in the past but money is the main reason we don't have Okur starting alongside Sheed today.

And money is probably why we haven't had a real scorer come in off of the bench since the ship. Almost every team in the league has that.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I agree. Having a great forum atmosphere is everyone making an effort to get along and allow each other space to operate.

Even the hardcore Darko fans. ;) :stirthepot: :pound:

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I think Joe has the facilities needed... his obvious strength is in identifying talent via trades... weakness being evaluation oh high ranking draft talent (although solid at sleeper finds).... what may be best is to replace some of his talent scouts that he relies on heavily.

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I sometimes wonder if Joe checks forums on occasion to get the pulse of the fan base... examples of significant fan reaction would include trading Curry, Mo Evans etc.
    I recall a conversation a few years back with G-man and Buddhafied One about an appearance from Joe on the original Pistons forum (after attending a party)... I'm sure they could fill in on the specifics as to why they knew it was Joe.
    Wouldn't that be interesting to know who in the Pistons org visits forums... we may have a lurker amongst us right here at PF :spy:

If you had a priority of what you'd like to see happen what would it be?
    Mine:
    1) A Young shot blocking center with a semblance of a post game.
    2) A drive and dish PG that can play defense (Blalock?)
    3) Give Delfino enough time to make a decent eval
    4) Move Sheed for a good pick and an expiring so we can have a big summer and play Amir and or Jmax more

8. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

we traded both of these away.

i think this is it. mr. d controls the money so that effects what joe can do. he has to build the team differently than other gm's. he has to build with draft and free agents on thier first contract not stars.

traded both of these away.

9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This blanket statement is simply from an outsiders point of view...There's likely much more than just a talent perspective that led to them being moved... We don't even know if DMC's trade demand was soley related to PT... There was definately a Darko cloud floating in that lockeroom.
    It's too bad some of our crack reporters can't get some inside stuff from ex Pistons (LB, Mo, Delk etc) on the real story.

10. max

max All-Star

I interperate this thread along the lines as the other one that everyone liked last week.

We have all grown to expect more from Dumars than what we have been getting. We know he can do better.

11. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I agree. You can't do much when you don't have the cash to spend. All we need is one guy that can come off the bench and score 15pts a game and hit 2 or 3 three's a night. That type of guy though often comands a steep price tag, wants to start or wants his minutes guranteed and that is something that just is not going happen here.

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good description of Jalen Rose. He didn't command a steep price tag, but Joe D not guaranteeing minutes to Jalen sent him on his way to Phoenix.

13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I think JD needed his head examined for not getting Darko minutes. He's too hands off on his coaches... til it starts to stink then he pulls the plug.
    Whose in favor of Nazz getting more min.?

14. armygirl

Not I. Give the minutes to JMax & Amir.

15. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

those minutes could have been going to darko, jmax and amir. instead they are going to dale davis and nazr. i'm sure you think that's a promising future.

the point is we need to find minutes for our young players. "earning it" is a myth. until joe d changes that he will never reach his full potential as a gm.

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I want this guy to get all up into the Detroit basketball system. I want to know how effective he can be with max minutes. [not your minutes Max]
    He doesn't seem to have a major weakness. I like that he is speaking up about his minutes. Let's not jerk him around like a rookie or lower seeded player.