1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Is Jason Next?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by dozero, Jul 13, 2009.

1. max

max All-Star

He does love his future 2nd round picks. Seems like every other trade has to include one.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

To be fair, one of his 2nd rounders was Memo, who made the All Star game.

And his second round picks this year look good.

3. roscoe36

There is something funny going on, because we have signed none of our picks, not even Daye who it is a foregone conclusion that we will sign him.

4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

LOL, or not have to worry about all the red tape. So much easier creating a team in NBA live . . .

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Would you sit out if you were Daye right now? What if he gets injured?

6. roscoe36

He must have purchased insurance with an advance against his rookie scale salary. That's my guess anyway.

As nice as Joe may be, I wouldn't risk millions on his word. That would be bad business.

7. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

so how do the rooks effect the cap right now? they all have pretty easy to figure out salaries its not like other sports that have tons of wiggle room. do any of them have cap place holders till they sign, I doubt the 2nd rounders do, but how about the 1st rounder one?

All 3 look like they have actual futures in the league.... one can dream but wouldn't it be sweet as they fill out that we just drafted our future 3 4 and 5 in one draft... If that were to happen Joe's draft grade would have to go thru the roof.... lol

8. roscoe36

We hold a salary exception (if we are over the cap, we are still allowed to sign him) for Daye's contract. I was trying to sort out what that means, say if we were to trade his rights but years of fluoridation in the water have reduced my attention span to about 11 seconds. :pound:

For every empty roster spot (up to 12 or 13) we get charged with a minimum type salary. Since the second rounders would sign for a minimum, then I suppose Joe will look to sign them after SL as it doesn't affect our current cap space (as I understand it).

Typically, Joe has signed his 1st rounders before SL, and his second rounders after SL. Not sure why Daye is not signed yet.

9. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

Would it be possible that he is so busy dealing with the rest of the roster moves and coaching change that he just has not dealt with it yet?

10. roscoe36

It's a pretty standard contract, one would think his assistant Scott Perry could handle it, as it was something Perry may have taken care of during his brief hiatus in Seattle.

The whole point of the rookie scale, is that there is a max value on rookie deals, which scales down as the picks get later in the draft.

Teams can sign their players for less than the rookie scale, but it almost never happens.

So no, I don't think Joe being busy would push this back.

11. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Do you think that Joe is showcasing Daye's skills. If this is the case, he is putting on a helluva show for his potential suitor(s).

It is very unusual that Daye isn't signed especially when you look at the time frame for when he signed his 06/07/08 picks.

12. roscoe36

;)

Certainly the emergence of Summers, who was a Pistons alternate choice at 15, but drafted 35, has taken the pressure off of Daye to be a home run.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Can Joe choose to not sign Daye (I know that is doesn't make sense)? What are his obligations after drafting him?

14. roscoe36

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Thanks.

I guess this is the shortest answer:

So, as I understand it, Joe is obligated to make him an offer. The lowest offer Joe could possibly make would be 80% of the number determined by the rookie draft order scale. If Daye doesn't like the low offer, he can hold out. The most Dumars could offer would be 120% of the amount determined by the scale. If Daye didn't like the Pistons, he could still hold out and re-enter the draft next year.

I wonder if Joe is trying to lowball Daye with something below the standard and Daye is saying "screw you, watch me play, then you'll pay me 120% dawg."

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It seems like you could create a computer program to find loopholes in the CBA and this patchwork of rules. Whenever you have this many exceptions (infield fly-rules galore) then it means that many loopholes have already been found. This thing is swiss cheese and there must be more holes.

Someone needs to rent out Deep Blue and program in the rules and let it go to work. We'd have Kobe within a week and would probably only end up giving away contract rights to our future strength and conditioning coach.

17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

found a question in todays mailbag on the pistons site that answers it pretty much.

our first rounder has a cap number, but when we sign him we can go up to 20 percent over it... so until Joe uses our cap space he won't sign the player incase we sign him for more then his cap number, we can sign our 2nd rounders even once we hit the cap.

PISTONS: Pistons Mailbag

Michael (Broadview Heights, Ohio): Can you go over the salary cap when you sign your draft picks? If so, does that mean you get a mid-level exception then? Langlois: Yes, sort of. A cap hold of $1.4 million was assigned to Austin Daye when the Pistons exercised the 15th pick. He can sign for a certain percentage over that amount and likely will. The second-rounders will merely sign for the NBA minimum and minimum contracts can be signed even by teams that started the summer under the cap but have spent their way up to the cap. That’s why none of the three rookies will sign until after Joe D has used the rest of his cap space to sign another veteran big man.

18. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

it seems to be sure JoeD has his mind to spend all remaining Capp Spayce.

19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Drew Gooden, welcome to Detroit!!!

20. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    What does the future hold for Pistons forward Jason Maxiell?