Is Joe scared of Laimbeer?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by detteam, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

True Dat. True Dat! :MusicBigGrin:
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

food4thot

It think it fair to say the core did well with demanding coaches...Cola setting the stage for LB. However, under the "mush!" of Flip, the core is expected to self-manage and over-play. Joe HAS to see this far beyond his comments in recent interviews...which to me, were on target and encouraging but left me thinking he's being politically correct and leaving a lot unsaid.

We have the draft to anticipate & ponder, as well as the Delfino trade. But my greatest anticipation is the end of the Shock's season (6-0 right now). Something in the back of my mind is telling me that my hopes for the Pistons' future will improve dramatically then.

Scared or not, Joe is in a strange position with Laimbeer coaching one of BillD's other teams thru the late summer. Tightwad, glory-seeker BillD is, I can see him letting Laimbeer coach another championship from the Shock before letting Joe have him for the Pistons...where the REAL money is. In the meantime, Joe has to put on a 'happy face' about Flip before cutting him loose just a couple months before the season starts. On the bright side, Laimbeer has proven the ability to instill drastic change to a team on short notice and follow it up.
    Flip has been rumoured to be in BillD's good graces...but BillD is all about money and I'm sure he's not pleased with the outcome of this season. Of all the available coaches, Laimbeer is the one that can most quickly right this ship...and BillD has the power to make him available to Joe.

This is a no-brainer to me. If it doesn't happen in Aug/Sept...I'm all for blowing up the team and wearing the teal.
  3. Darth Tater

Well, your theory seems slightly far fetched to me, but still within the realm of possibility. I hope you're right.
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I actually had some thoughts on that as well. My assumption though is that Joe is going to give Flip just enough rope to hang himself so that they could bring Laimbs in. Maybe that's why Laimbs is keeping quiet about possible coaching jobs in the NBA.
  5. Darth Tater

Thing is...Flip will win 50 games. Joe isn't going to make a switch midway through the EC finals when Flip is once again exposed. So why not fire him now?

If Joe says during the regular season "play the rookies you twitching Jackass of a fool", then the twitching Jackass of a fool will do it. So why not can him now before he blows our playoff hopes once more?

All I can think is that they are tired of looking stupid firing "winning" coaches so they are waiting for a player rebellion. But that's stretching it...no?
  6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Who knows what they're thinking. It is the same as with NBA conspiracy theory. Looks like it may be there, but it doesn't make sense at the same time. Until something happens it is all a guessing game.
  7. detteam

detteam All-Star

:confused: Seems to me the 'player rebellion' started well over a year ago and Sheed's display in game 6 was just a confirmation of the fact.
  8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Ben will say whatever he wants and he did.
    Sheed will say whatever he wants and he did.

Who's the next one to voice their opinion? I think it's going to be Dice.
  9. Darth Tater

Right. And Dumars knows it. But maybe he's waiting for it to spread even more into a full scale one. It's the only thing I can think of to prevent them from firing him now if their plan is to get a new coach.
  10. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Bill is not ready yet. You can take a number of approaches with this statement.

Coaching levels are not about having played the game and most first-rate coaches will eventually speak truth to this factor. It comes down to a whole host of mixtures like administration, history, market placement, team culture, personality, leadership, etc.

Personality with tested and re-test patience levels is high on my list. For Bill to nurture (perhaps a weakness?) this direction, it might be wise to train under practical conditions. He has not yet coached in the NBA.

Some players seem to make an easier switch of it. A notable example of this is the "little general" who had a very steady influence with Del Harris at his side. Standing this on it's head, is the visual we saw of Snow coaching his teammates and very much the center of attention. Different approaches, different circumstances and different personalities. For example, a phlegmatic player activity shown on the court by Snow, did not (at least for me) translate that way when surrounded court-side by his teammates.

I think that Bill will get his chance. Of course, I have been saying this by watching Michael Cooper for the last decade or so.

My experience has shown me that in the majority of times, a balancing act is positively shown by having assistants as antipodes. In Phil Jackson's terms, the balancing of yin-yang.

I hope we are all around to see Bill faced with this mighty challenge.
  11. detteam

detteam All-Star

I've pondered that philosophy many times over the last two years and everytime have been left asking myself a question..."Is Flip ready yet?"
  12. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

I'm thinking Bill's time will come. Davison has already said he's tired of paying for coaches who are no longer with the team. Cola and LB represented too much of a drain. Flip has two more years on his contract. Davison ought to be able to swallow one of those. Hopefully, next year is his last.
  13. detteam

detteam All-Star

bump...cuz I'm still pondering...
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think he is a little threatened by him... as are most people.
  15. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

My guess is that Gores likes Laimbeer.......
  16. Darth Tater

Yeah, but I think they don't like each other very much.

To me, Joe is a guy who showed a lot of integrity at one time, and not that he doesn't have it now, but the nature of the business (like a political appointment for the Government) turned him. Made him compromise his values at times and do and say things he would have preferred not to do. It's sad because he probably had a lot of challenges in his earlier years where he withstood the temptations. He probably regrets having to change and yearns for the day where he could go back to being his former self (not just the non-plump one) and have people look up to him as they did before he took the job.

I think that part of the reason we gave him the benefit of the doubt for so long (other than his glory days as a hard working player in the Bad Boy era and his 2004 victory over the Lakers as a General Manager) is that it was hard for us to see him differently than the "Old Joe".

So, I see Laimbeer as a Son of a Beotch. But we love him and admire him for his candor and because he is OUR Son of a Beotch. He also played a large part in our championships in the Bad Boys Era. He was literally (with Mahorn) the poster boy for it. I think he and Dumars wouldn't mesh. Joe would NOT be able to carry on in business as he has. Laimbeer would expose him. Now...there is always the danger that Laimbeer would alienate the entire league (as well as his own players) if he were to coach the team. But the bottom line is...I don't think Dumars and Laimbeer got along as players. I don't think they liked each other and those are the reasons why Bill Laimbeer will never coach the Pistons as long as Joe Dumars is the General Manager.

Ok, Dr. Darth is out to lunch (pun intended).

[​IMG]