Is Mark Cuban good or bad for basketball?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 8, 2006.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Cuban was on David Letterman the other night. He was great. I love the guy. He's so down to earth and is nothing like you'd expect from a billionaire. He's not a fan of Donald Trump either.
  2. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I think Cuban really does have his fan hat and his owner/spokesperson hat on at the same time.

I saw him on a talk show a few nights ago when he practically "na-na-na-na-na'd" Steve Nash by saying "We were so criticized when we lost Steve Nash to Phoenix, but we're in the Finals and he's watching on television" with a defiant little kid smirk. Maybe Cuban insists on continuing to enjoy one of the few rewarding aspects of being a fan, that you can act and feel like a little kid about your team. Be blindly Fan-atical.

If I were first a Pistons fan and second an owner, one of the not very nice remarks I would make about the Heat would be "Well, we just about fall asleep when we have to come play here. Everyone dressed in white, it looks like a mental institution, a church choir conference or a Sunni insurgency high holy day." I would say it to entertain me, other fans and get a laugh. It's politically incorrect as an NBA owner.

I think the remark about San Antonio was said in that kind of fan context.I mean truthfully if you saw last years parade after the Spurs beat the Pistons, you didn't think WTF is that lame manmade-looking canal they are calling a river? Did they not look ridiculous on those boats? It's Texas. Have a bar-b-q. It's not Venice Italy.

I could say it because I'm just a disgruntled Pistons fan. But Mark should send these kind of remarks to a celebrity spokesperson, someone outside the Mavs and have them say them. Then he could enjoy the sound bite as a fan, without impacting his ownership and organization status.

I think he's great for baskbetball. He's an original and loves the game of basketball.
  3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

From wire services article...

After Wade made another free throw following the timeout, Dallas guard Devin Harris missed a desperation heave. When the buzzer sounded, the Mavericks unleashed their anger.

Cuban, who was wearing the jersey of suspended forward Jerry Stackhouse, ran onto the court and screamed at official Joe DeRosa, then went to the scorer’s table and stared down NBA commissioner David Stern and other league officials. Cuban then went up the tunnel toward their aisle and kept screaming and staring.

Stern made his way out, but Cuban didn’t let up. Considering he’s been fined well over $1 million — including $200,000 this postseason alone — his tab could rise again before Game 6 in Dallas on Tuesday night.

Is he right? Maybe so about the calls. I sure didn't see a foul. But, is this the way an owner should behave, for the good of the league and for the good of the game? I don't think so. If he wants to act like a child he should do that in the privacy of his very own multi-zillion dollar home.

I feel like a stick in the mud, but I really do believe that people in positions of authority and in the public eye have a responsibility to conduct themselves in a way that we would like others to emulate. If Cuban can do this, why can't a tenth grader make the same fuss about a call in a game or about a homework assignment?

All right, I'm an old fogey, but if Cuban can't act like a grown-up ought to, he ought to get off the public stage.
  4. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

You've got a point. I always felt that way about Bobby Knight, who may have been a basketball genuis, but also struck me as a mean-spirited SOB. But professional sports is supposed to be entertaining too, and I think that Cuban brings some color and entertainment to the game. There is also something distinctly American about the rebel who challenges authority, the man who avoids pretense and political correctness, and the man who is not afraid to create controversy. I think Cuban embodies some of that.
  5. dba

With you on BK - out of control and unpleasant.

Anyway, there are ways to challenge authority without trying to stare down the commish in the stands after a game, with Cuban pretending he's some thug who is going to knock him silly with a straight right.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Cuban should have punched the commish in the face... politely. That is the only rational way to deal with this situation.
  7. dba

Alas, if only the game had been in Texas where you can carry guns into the arena.
  8. barbara SanAntone

barbara SanAntone First Round Draft Pick

Buck Harvey SA Express News gave a Spurs take on Cuban and his Monopoly Money and how it might affect the West next season:

But now he gets to do what he does best, which is close his mouth and open his wallet. Operating with the league's second-highest payroll this past season, Cuban will have to write a few more checks to keep his talent intact.
    Knowing him, he will. Knowing him, he will do what the Spurs can't, what the Suns fear, what the Pistons struggle with.
    Cuban can't buy class. But he can bid on everything else.
    He has a Rodmanesque need for attention, which is why something about Game 6 was so glaring. ABC rarely showed Cuban, when cameras usually can't get enough of his angst during dead-ball moments.
    Was this done in good taste? Or was this David Stern getting his ultimate revenge?
    The Spurs wouldn't mind seeing less of him, but it's his financial worth that troubles them. Cuban plays the game with Monopoly money while Peter Holt plays with the real stuff, and it's a significant edge.
    Cuban has taken on huge contracts. Agreed to give millions to other teams in trades. And spent more money than anyone but the incomparable Knicks. Cuban's payroll is about $32 million more than the Spurs', and that doesn't include the luxury tax.
    The Spurs get by, and they've found players willing to take less. The list includes Michael Finley, Bruce Bowen, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.
    But they have to be perfect while trying to pay a 63-win team, and when they aren't perfect, they have to unload the excess. They did with Malik Rose a year ago, they tried with Brent Barry this past season, and they dumped another salary Wednesday.
    That's ultimately why Rasho Nesterovic is gone, though there are few tears in San Antonio over this. Rasho was nice enough and tall enough, but his body language inspired as Ambien does.
    Besides, he couldn't get on the floor much the last two seasons, which is why this deal makes sense. Holt's books are stressed enough without having to spend another $23million over three years to an eight-minute sub.
    But Rasho would have come in handy had the Spurs made it to the Finals against Shaquille O'Neal this month, and he would be a counter for Yao Ming four times next season. If Cuban owned the Spurs? He might have paid Rasho as if on retainer.
    After all, Cuban pays Erick Dampier far more. That deal ends in 2011 with a final price of just more than $13 million.
    Cuban has tried to curb his spending. Whereas he once paid Finley whatever it took, he let Steve Nash walk.
    Maybe Cuban does the same if Jason Terry gets an astounding offer as an unrestricted free agent this summer. Tuesday's finale might also make Cuban think twice; then, Terry missed his last 11 shots while going scoreless in the final quarter of the season.
    But Cuban will want to get back to this stage. Furthermore, Cuban's anger over these Finals will only make him want to spend more. After all, he paid $450,000 in playoff fines just for yelling on the court. This is a man accustomed to picking up the check.
    Cuban will get a break when Keith Van Horn comes off the payroll, but there's a line of others ready to cash in. Terry will be up for about a $60 million deal, and there's a window for Josh Howard now that will create at least that much. The Mavericks will want to max out Dirk Nowitzki now, because that is how superstars are treated.
    But Cuban is already paying Dampier, as well as another year at $8 million for Jerry Stackhouse. Cuban still owes Finley and Shawn Bradley, and then there's the same Marquis Daniels who could barely get on the floor in these playoffs. Only three Spurs earn more than Daniels, and only one Spur has a longer contract.
    The Suns do the same math and wonder how they can keep their stars. The Pistons try to figure out if they can still afford Ben Wallace, who has merely been the soul of that team.
    And the Spurs?
    In the same division, trying to match their dimes against Cuban's dollars, they would prefer only his mouth stay open.

Hey Micro, didnt quite know where to put this post...off season trades? Spurs, or what?
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's perfect right there BSA. Nice to see you around and in good spirits.
  10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

11. roscoe36

Fire the traitor.

Dirk = choker.
  12. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

That's an ugly story. Cuban is the owner of the Mavs. Dirk is an employee. Dirk is going to get a little lesson on being the hired help. Who is more important in the pecking order, a "superstar" who can be traded at will or the owner? And to take something like this to the media. It's very very bad form. Mark Cuban is a businessman first. Dirk must think that he is a Nowitzki fan first. Smack him down publicly, Mark.
  13. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

When Cuban puts himself in front of the cameras at every game, it's already out there. Of course Nowitzki's right. And if Cuban can blog to the world about every little grievance, Dirk's got a right to voice his opinion as well. Cuban can do nothing about it without looking like a hypocrite.
  14. dba

Plus Dirk is right which ought to account for something. Cuban hurts his team with his never ending public tirade.
  15. detteam

detteam All-Star

The thing is...Dirk is right. Cuban should be setting a better example ...think of the kids watching the NBA. Cuban acts like a little kid. Businessman or not, as is often the case, his money has gone to his head...he believes he can do anything he wants.

Maybe Dirk wants out of Dallas...
  16. roscoe36

One great thing about Mark Cuban is his Blog.

http://www.blogmaverick.com/

He writes a lot like the passionate fan/owner he is, but also covers technology, and considering how successful he is and continues to be with emerging technology and business, I find his site must read material.

Recent post-Finals topics include

A quick note on Click Fraud
    Click Fraud is when advertising is exploited to harm the advertiser because proper measures are not in place to control intentional bombing of ads that are paid for "by the click". I find this interesting as I am currently involved in a class action lawsuit with Google regarding similar issues.

Connected vs Disconnected Entertainment
    Mark's view on the two different states of existence for those of us who live online.

The Internet is old news and boring.. Deal with it
    Debunking the hype behind Web 2.0 (an annoying catchphrase) and the unbridled optimism that broadband internet is the panacea for everything wrong with the human condition.

Broadband Video is overrated too !
    There is not money in broadband video due to the overhead costs of building and maintaining a scalable infrastructure. The difficulties in moneytizing a medium that is inherently "free" remains an unsolved mystery.
  17. roscoe36

BLAM! Another Cuban post worth reading even if you think it is all BS.

The man's brain is always testing an idea out.

http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000570073797/
  18. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Fascinating. And wouldn't it be fun to become a fan of a minor league team, where the boys were growing up before your eyes, being developed for future NBA play?You could definitely build a fan base with this model.

I read blogmaverick.com regularly. I knew Mark Cuban in college, and he had two entrepreneurial ideas that we all thought would never work. We were wrong on both counts.
  19. linwood

linwood All-Star

I'm convinced. Roscoe, put together a Pistons Forum ownership group. Count me in. Seems like once the financing is together, we have lots of people who could lend their ideas on "developing talent"

:nod:
  20. detteam

detteam All-Star

How much does Cuban offer to "Fun family entertainment" beyond his own blatant fanaticism & checkbook? Nice self-admiring blog to pump his own ego as Christ's 'second coming'. The guy is a narcissist with a capital 'N'.

Go ahead and buy his hype...I won't...been there & done that. :P