Is Mark Cuban good or bad for basketball?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 8, 2006.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's awesome for Natalie. Now we just have to get him over here!

Although, maybe he's already here. I'm starting to wonder about Buckeyes#1... ;)

2. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Why are you starting to wonder about me? Because my opinion does not match yours? I'm just answering the question that this thread poses. I guess I am not sure what I have done wrong. My apologies if my judgement was somehow overbearing. I honestly did not think mine was any more overbearing than anybody elses. Roscoe gave his opinion of Mark as "super owner" , which I interpret as the top 5%. So I gave my opinion of where he ranks on my list, which is the bottom 5%. I thought that was the purpose of this forum. To exchange our differences of opinion. Where's the foul? And why is it a foul?

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Jammer's comment was a playful remark that you might really be Mark Cuban having fun with us.

4. roscoe36

Buckeyes, what exactly do you value?

What does Mark Cuban value?

If Kobe is a role model, would you be happy with your son emulating his sexual exploits in Colorado? You did after all say Kobe was by definition a role model, "what better role model"... etc.

I'm curious to know how you grade the Bucks, Clippers, New York, Atlanta, Charlotte, Seattle etc. ownerships better than the Mavs.

Cuban's touch with a bad franchise has been gold. He renovated the locker rooms, brought in quality free agents, re-signed his key players, found a great rookie coach who took the team to the Finals, and he's been one of the driving forces in NBA marketing.

His franchise is NOW worth a lot of money, just like every business he approaches with his cocky, hands-on approach. I don't know what more he could possibly do to prove that he is a pretty darn successful person on multiple fronts.

Now maybe you don't like his look, or his (relative) youth, or his success. Maybe you don't like how arrogant or loud he is. Maybe you don't like that such a person could create a platform for themselves to project their opinions. But while you might not like the packaging, I cannot fathom how you can argue against results.

5. jammertime

Exactly.

Buckeye, I was just messin' with you. I thought ;) was the universal symbol for "just playin'"

My bad. No hard feelings.

6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Buckeyes, it's clear no harm was meant. Just accept that we're in the minority position on this one ... but not that small a minority, if you look closely. It just seems that way because roscoe has turned the thread into a blog for his Cuban man-crush. :)

A lot of people like Cuban because he's entertaining. Some are flattered (and flattery is really all it is) that he answers out-of-the way bloggers. Me, I think there must be a little Nixon in a guy who tracks every Web reference to him on a real-time basis.

7. roscoe36

I spent an hour here trying to come up with a response that was "just right".

No dice.

Y'all don't like Mark, knock yourselves out. It's certainly easier to laugh at him than get to know him. Or maybe I am just a victim of effectively conceived flattery.

8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

it's okay roscoe, we all know you have a man-crush for cuban ;)

9. roscoe36

I really like him. As much as I like you guys and for a lot of the same reasons.

10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't dislike him by any means. He's done a lot to shine light up under the old boys skirts (to mix a number of metaphors) and open up the smoky back room is how we get things done MO of the league. Good on him.

I'm not sure however if his constant nagging of the league - attacking the refs, sending in film, etc. really helps his team. It might even at times hurt them (though with their record I allow the evidence might be hard to find).

I guess what I'm saying is that I think it's a good thing that the league has some out there, proactive, questioning owners. I'm also saying that I like it better when they're the owners of the "other" team and not mine.

11. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

He's good cause he'll challenge the upper eschaleon to keep things straight. He's a hands on owner who I wish would buy the Detroit Lions. He's definitely not stupid. He loves his employees.

12. Buckeyes#1

Yesterday, I mentioned I thought he was a jerk. I just found out that he is much worse than I ever thought. Mark Cuban is distributing the movie Loose Change, which is about the horrendous allegation that the US government was behind the 9/11 attacks. This guy needs to put on the next plane leaving Dallas and forced to parachute over a deserted island somewhere. This guy is despicable. He's making a mockery of the death of over 3100 US citzens. The Dallas fans, if they had any decency would rise up against this man. No decent human being would distribute such trash. He has hurt many millions of US citizens that love deeply their country.

13. Buckeyes#1

Hey Jammer, my apologies for reading you wrong the other day. No hard feelings. I think I had a stressful week in school last week. All the kiddies have spring fever but spring break is still a week away! Pray that the teachers of America don't lose their marbles next week. I came close to losing mine last week! :pound: :pound: :pound:

14. jammertime

No problem at all. :hug:

I'm a very sarcastic and dry person by nature. Sometimes that doesn't come across so well in text.

15. roscoe36

Rules in the NBA - Blog Maverick

The Low and Mark Cuban on the same page.

16. roscoe36

Dallas Basketball - Dallas Mavericks Basketball News and Links

Pretty cool.