1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Is Sheed the most underachieving player in NBA?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jan 26, 2008.

?

Is Sheed the most underachieving player in NBA?

1. Yes

21.4%
  2. No

78.6%
  1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    HOOPSWORLD | NBA News, Rumors and Information

This theme sounded quite often this year in the discussions and from sports commentators and analysts throughout the country. Do you agree?

2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i disagree and i thought it was a poorly written article ridden with blanket statements and a holier-than-thou mentality. the article is titled "sheed's shame", says he is an "absolute waste in every sense" and claims that barkley agrees with his assessment, even though barkley only made one point, and this guy is applying it to the entirety of his editorial. he also says wallace is in "serious decline" which is blatantly false, and "unwilling to change" when he has clearly and noticeably been better this season.

i have to wonder if this guy has even watched the pistons this season.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sheed does have a Championship.

4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I think Sheed could definitely be more consistent with his game and not have so many less than stellar games.

But I wouldn't classify his inconsistency as being underachieving.

Now Kwame Brown is a definite underachiever, because he hardly ever plays anywhere near his ability.

:hoops:

5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I guess I should rephrase the question a bit. Would you think if Sheed had the consistency of Magic or Jordan, he could have achieved more? I think he could be better than KG, but it is just not in his nature to be a leader and to have any selfishness. But he doesn't always play to his strengths, and he's coasting a lot as well. This is what his underachieving is, at least in my eyes.

6. max

max All-Star

You can say offensivly he could do way more but he always gives it 100% on the defensive end.

7. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

To a degree. There's a spectrum of "underachieving", from a player who has mastered an ability but uses it reluctantly if at all to one who has little skill but great "talent", which is to say that he can run fast and jump high, and of course the kind of underachieving that is not underachieving at all, where a player sublimates his own statistical accomplishments for the greater good of his team.

The first kind would be someone like Vince Carter or Tracy McGrady, who shy away from contact and so are not nearly the players they could be, although both have demonstrated themselves to be excellent slashers and have good post games. The second hardly needs an example; we're all familiar with the hype. Midway between the two would perhaps be an Eddy Curry, who has skills besides his low-post game (he does know how to set good screens and position himself for rebounding, for instance) but simply doesn't care enough to use them; that same lack of interest causes Curry to avoid taking care of the enormous holes that do exist in his game.

I honestly don't know where Rasheed Wallace lands: he does have great skill (and did, once have great athleticism) and is reluctant to use some aspects of his game, but it's unclear which (except for his lazy rebounding) he doesn't use out of laziness or "softness" and which he avoids to improve the team offense. But he doesn't have a truly complete game; he's tremendously improved his low-post game since his first year in the league, but it still isn't as good as McHale's even though he has the mind and the body that would allow it to be; his shot-blocking timing isn't as good as it could be; his jumpshot and free throw shooting are improved, but not perfected, and he still has a below-average slashing game for a perimeter player.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, about Rasheed. But Kwame Brown - while he has a magnificent body - has never shown in the NBA that he has very much more to give than he gives on a nightly basis. He can't shoot, his footwork and timing in the low post are truly bad, and based on his movement away from the ball he understands neither offensive nor defensive team frameworks.

8. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

I was going to mention Kwame Brown too. Sheed is fantastic, even with his reputation for "coasting"

9. MainManJoeD

MainManJoeD First Round Draft Pick

SHAQ. Most underachieving player of all time. If he ever learned to shoot FTs, and really put himself out every night, he'd have averaged 40 and 25. No joke. Unique physical specimen. Agile, strong, huge. Really too bad.

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Is Sheed an underachiever? Yes.

Does it hurt the team? Yes.

Could we do better with another player? Not right now.

Do I love him? You betcha. But not enough to ignore the truth.

11. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I bet, about 80% of NBA players "could do more". Is "underachieving" label based on hype or realities? (for me, a primary purpose of hype is marketing, it is mostly nothing to do with reality)

12. max

max All-Star

Guys like Marbury, Francis, Jason Williams, Damon Stoudamire come to mind. Players who all started with great seasons and then vanished into mediacracy.

13. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I'd forgotten Shaq was still in the NBA.

Yes, he's easily the biggest underachiever, in both his laziness on defense and repeated public refusals to learn to shoot free throws.

14. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I guess you can say he is an underachiever, but there are worse things that a professional athlete can be. Barkley and Kenny Smith hit it right on when they say that it is not his personality to be a dominating player night in and night out. Maybe all of the pundits that predict the greatness of professional athletes are underachievers. Guys like Sheed are hyped so much as early as elementary school (in sheed's case comparisons to chamberlain and russell), it is not wonder that they shy away from the all or nothing mentally that envelops professional sports. The mental aspect of being a superstar or wanting to be a superstar or wanting to be the man is not an exact science. While many of us are frustrated with sheed's inconsistant output each game, he may well be satisfied with just winning and being part of a team. Because of his height, he has always stood out and was the focus everywhere he went. I remember seeing him walking in manhattan a couple of years ago and he had this "do not bother me" look on his face. I told my son that famous people sometimes just want to be left alone. Don't take it personally.

When Sheed was averaging 18 -20 points for the blazers, he was harshly criticized then. In Portland, I worried about oden because it is all or nothing in Portland. Oden will have to be a personality. I hope he is up to it. Sheed was not. Also, that is why you marvel at duncan because he has a quiet demeanor (doesn't want the limelight), but he is still great on the court night in and night out.

Go Pistons, Go Sheed!!

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

You guys are clearly mistaking results for achievement. Kwame is not an underachiever, he sucks. Sheed is the BIGGEST UNDERACHIEVER IN THE NBA PERIOD.

Sheed is my favorite Piston. I love the guy, I really do. The game is so easy for Sheed that he's LAZY. If Sheed WORKED like KG (in terms of off the court) he'd be a perrenial MVP candidate. Sheed has way more game than Duncan and KG, yet he just can not or will not bring it all the time. No big man in the league can do all the things Rasheed can do. For crying out loud he has range out to almost 30' with his left HAND!!!! If that dont prove it I dont know what does.

Now, I will admit Shaq may be just as, if not lazier, therefore it really is a toss-up between the two. This is what made Jordan so special. No greater talent - but no one outworked him on or off the court.

16. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Oh, this one hurts. He's my favorite Piston! And he MIGHT be the biggest underachiever, but I'll take refuge in the unsubstantiable belief that there are others who are worse, some of whom have been named already. But even if he's not the BIGGEST underachiever, I gotta admit that he doesn't use all of what he appears to have. As others have said, he could contribute more points (in the low post) and could rebound more. So I'll put him up there.

But i'm not willing to reduce my explanation of that fact to his being "lazy." Hard to call someone lazy ("resistant to work or exertion") who works so hard, so consistently, on defense. That said, Sheed has to present one of the most inscrutable psychological cases in the NBA. That is, I really can't pretend that I have him figured out somehow. There's obviously intense passion, a temper, a sense of humor, an ability to enjoy himself, unselfishness, intelligence, and also occasional disinterest, maybe even shyness.

I prefer to think -- but I couldn't prove it -- that his "underachievements" are the result of unselfishness and a perspective that makes the game not everything. But who knows, maybe he was also afraid to dedicate himself 100 % to the game because of the hype surrounding him, afraid, that is, of failing. Or, maybe he does have a lazy streak.

But I'll tell you one thing for sure, when he is gone, underachiever or not, I will miss his overall presence on the team more than any Piston since Dumars, and I wouldn't trade him for anyone.

17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

and lets not forget his refusal to take care of his body. if he did anything in off season conditioning and keeping his weight in line his body would have stood up to the seasons of abuse. The numbers of injuries he has endured would be no where near what they have been and his decline would not have started as soon.

As for sheed, so he doesn't demand the ball.... that doesn't make him an underacheiver, how many players that are "stars" look great at the offensive end of the floor but take the defensive end off every night. Could he be better at effort sure he could be, but so could most players in the NBA. And how many Birds, Magics, and MJs are there? to say if he played like those 3 is really unfair.

18. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Sheed is our best defender, so no, he is not underachieving. Could he be better with a better work ethic? Absolutely.

One thing I wonder is if Sheed will make the HOF. I don't think he will even though he has as much talent as many that are already there.

Sheed suffers from not being well liked by the media or nationally by the fans. When they think of Rasheed Wallace, they first think of his loud mouth and THEN they think of his immense talent. Well, I think many do anyway.

19. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Agreed.To most of so called fans is he still "thug", inappropriate example for children, etc. Btw, is Rodman deserving HOF spot?

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Madonna and Carmen Electra. He's already in my HOF.