Is Tayshaun Prince the Pistons most talented player?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Zoso, Nov 9, 2005.

?

Who is the Pistons most talented player?

1. Ben Wallace

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  2. Rasheed Wallace

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Chauncey Billups

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Richard Hamilton

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Tayshaun Prince

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  6. Darko Milicic

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  7. Antonio McDyess

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  8. Carlos Delfino

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Carlos Arroyo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Maurice Evans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

There was talk, during yesterday's game, where people were saying that Tayshaun Prince is the Pistons most talented player.

From the guys on NBA Nation (Tim Legler and Greg Anthony) to the Sacramento announcers, who all said exactly that.

So, is it true Piston fans, is Tayshaun the Pistons most talented player?

If not him, then who would you say has the best all-around skills on this Detroit squad?

2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I don't think anyone on the team has a greater upside than Tay. I still don't believe we've seen his best game....and that's scary.

3. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

tay tay for prez

I have said it before the kid has so much upside.
    At 6-9 he plays the 3 but he can handle the rock (kentucky he would bring the ball up)
    He can shoot (look at last night)
    He can pass and I am not just talking about the oops he gives Ben but he can find the open guy on the floor.
    He can flat out defend, and I'm not just talking about the blocks that he gets (reggie miller) but he gets his # called to guard other teams best offensive threat guys like kobe ai d wade paul peirce tmac just to name a few. He is fast enough to stick with most of them and long enough to recover if he is not step for step with them.
    Sure he has his offensive struggles (and some were in the playoffs) but he only has 3 years under his belt. If he had gotten the pt his rookie year he would have given Amare and Yao some competition for r.o.y.

The only thing I wish he would add to his game is a nice pull up j. He can play ok with his back to the basket he has that little floating hook of his and he can hit the 3 I would just like to see him drive stop and pop with his height and wingspan what 3 could defend him?

4. detteam

detteam All-Star

TP is the P's most physically versatile and talented player. He can do it all. A smaller framed Magic so-to-speak.

But, C-Bub holds the P’s future in his hands…I don’t think any of his teammates would disagree. CB is the glue...and that is a talent in-and-of itself.

5. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Tay and Rip are turning into a ferocious 1-2 offensive punch. Flip seems perfectly happy to let a guy just take over for a quarter, and both of these guys are capable of Isiah-like scoring outbursts in the right situation. If these two keep it up, and our D stays constant . . . watch out.

I computed point differentials from this morning's standings:

Detroit 17.0
    Washington 7.4
    Golden State 7.0
    San Antonio 6.7
    Memphis 5.5
    Milwaukee 5.3
    LA Lakers 4.5
    Indiana 4.3
    Phoenix 3.7
    Boston 3.7
    Dallas 3.7
    NO/OKC 3.6
    Minnesota 3.2
    Miami 3.0
    Utah 3.0
    Charlotte 2.8
    LA Clippers 2.3
    Denver 1.5
    Cleveland 0.2
    Houston 0.0
    New Jersey -1.0
    Chicago -2.0
    Orlando -6.8
    New York -9.0
    Seattle -9.3
    Philadelphia -11.0
    Atlanta -11.8
    Sacramento -12.0
    Portland -14.0
    Toronto -14.5

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Interesting Lurker... thanks... not even close competition yet.

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Good Thread ZO and Lurk. You know who I voted for!

8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I don't know who the best person on this team is, but i think tay is the most naturally talented if not him its rasheed wallace.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Rasheed "Roscoe" Wallace

We are just beginning to see the brilliance of Tay. But Sheed is without a doubt one of the top 5 PFs in the NBA. Top 2 defensively for sure, and although the #'s don't always reflect a big offensive contribution, we all know that Roscoe can take over a game anytime he damn well pleases.

I like Tay. I like'em all. But Roscoe has been an elite talent since high school. His talent was so apparent, no one has ever overlooked him.

Ben - Hardest Working Piston
    Rip - Most aggressive/conditioned Piston
    CB - Undisputed Team Leader
    Tay - Best intangibles - X-Factor type player (on the verge of solving the "X" for a high value)
    Darko - most anticipated Piston
    JMax - Most underrated Piston
    AJ - Most Raw Piston
    Dale Davis - Meanest looking Piston
    Arroyo - Most emotional Piston

10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Aj

I forget where I read it but AJ was dunking from the free throw line with ease in practice.

He "cleared the floor" with some of his dunks and had his teammates in awe.

:whoo: :hail: :welcome: :bounce:

(Note to Micro: we need a drooling smily face!)

11. detteam

detteam All-Star

Looking at the poll results...I feel bad for Ben.

As usual, the dirty work is under-appreciated. He has a talent that no one in the league can match. :yo: to Ben!!!

We are fortunate to have such a great team!

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think that Ben would consider himself more talented than the rest of the guys. He just outworked 99% of the players in the league to get to where he is at. Talent is what is given to you.

13. MSU Spartan

MSU Spartan Second Round Draft Pick

Tay Tay

Prince is our most consistent player.. but if you are talking most talented you have to say Rasheed

14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'm surprised no none voted for rip.

15. botsy

botsy Second Round Draft Pick

He falls in the Ben category of a hard worker leading to increased ability, but not more talent.

16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Mike Dunleavy Jr vs Tay

My vote goes to Chauncy. Sheed and Tay have been blessed with height and in Tay's case incredibly long arms. CB doesn't have those advantages. There are a million people as tall as him so he has to use his talent to get by.

Check out this link that compares Tayshaun to Mike Dunleavy Jr. They both signed similar contracts recently. Is Prince in the same category of players as Dunleavy?

The report on Dunleavy's contract is five years and $44 million. Dunleavy's a decent player but my first reaction is to recoil in horror. Essentially, Dunleavy got the same money as Prince. Having just got done telling you that Prince's deal was okay, it probably would make sense to compare him with Dunleavy. Here's how the to looked in 2004-05:
    PlayerAgeMPGPPGFG%RPGAPGTOPGEff.Dunleavy2432.513.40.4515.52.61.714.34Prince2437.114.70.4875.33.11.616.26
    Superficially, Prince and Dunleavy seem to be pretty similar players, Prince having a distinct edge as a shooter, passer, and blocks. But when you factor in defense, Prince gets even more of a bump up too. We figured that Prince was really worth about $7-8 million on the open market. Logic would dictate then that Dunleavy is more of a $5 million a year guy. Still even a five year $25 million contract for Dunleavy feels excessive in my head. But the market dictates the value of players and if Vlad Radmanovic can get a $42 million dollar offer for six years, why can't Dunleavy get an offer in that ball park?

http://hoopsanalyst.com/0506tra2.htm

17. Basketfish

Basketfish Second Round Draft Pick

I don't know if Prince is the most talented player on the Pistons but he is one of the most satisfying to watch. A lot of posters have taken guff over the last few years for supporting our draft choices to the bitter end in some cases, but is there anything more enjoyable to watch as your own draft choice makes good. A good play be Darko or Prince make me smile more then Rasheed or Ben even though those guys are two of my favorite Pistons but to watch one of our choices brings a little warmth inside, most likely because I have more invested in them emotionlly watching them don that Pistons hat for the first at the draft and starting out raw and watching them progress. :)

It is similar to watching your own child grow up.

OK enough bleeding heart stuff "Go Pistons" leave the Suns laying on the floor crying like babies.:hurt:

18. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Depends on the night

There are some nights I believe that there is nothing that Sheed cannot do. If he is motivated, he has so many things going for him that it is not funny.

Then on other nights, Taysh has all the different talents, although he looks like a man falling out of a tree. I heard that about another athlete in the past, one whose name I cannot remember right now. Taysh has such an unorthodox style that he looks all arms and legs. But he is right there.

Other nights, Chauncey looks like he is the most talented one, but I believe although he is more the leader, he does not have the array of talents that Tay or Sheed have, nor does Rip. They are both extremely talented in their abilities, but just not the wide array.

I think that in the future, we will be saying that DMC belongs in this debate, as well, but that that is down the road.

Isn't this a great road to be going down?

19. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I did before reading your post. Was surprised too to be the only one voting for him- he has improved a lot in the last 2 sesons. When he joined the team, he was a one- dimensional running machine shooting mid- range jump shots.
    Right now, he drives, dishes, rebounds and even shoots some 3s. His defense has improved too. He's gonna have a great season.

20. Fool

Fool First Round Draft Pick

He also turns the ball over whenever he tries to do more then run off a screen and shoot.

IMO, this is the right answer. There is nothing special about Billups physically (not tall, not fast, not freakishly strong, can't jump). But he can shoot, drive, run the break, defend, run an offense, finish (though not with a dunk), hit the clutch shot, be looked on to carry the team in points or create for others. You might call that skill or ability but whatever you call it, he's got the most of it.