Is this the most excited you've been before the season?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by iamme, Oct 6, 2005.

?

Is this the most you've anticipated the coming season?

1. Yes

77.8%
  2. No (list what season below)

22.2%
  1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

How are you just going to give yourself an "AMEN" like that? lol!
  2. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

I don't know that this is the most excited I've ever been (I get excited every year, although certainly more so for the years I actually expect us to contend for a title) but I will say that I am more "curious" about this season than any in recent memory because of the "unknowns" (Flip, Darko, Delfino, etc.) :confused:

A lot of questions to be answered, which is very different from the way I felt last year (this can, of course, be viewed either positively or negatively).
  3. max

max All-Star

Yes

I think this is the most exciting season. A great chance at a title plus there are a lot of young guys to watch.
  4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I hope we use Maxiell a lot, he not only draws double teams he commands it. This can open up every one. As for Ben if they leave him open I don't want him to shoot it, he should drive in a for easy points or draw fouls on the other teams big men.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

You're right they got a lot players to make up for Shaq's decline. I'm not going to write off this team totally until 2 or 3 years from now when Shaq's gone. Antione, Payton, Jason, and Posey can't make up for that. Also I'm not one of those guys that thinks this team will lose because of chemistry problems. I think this team will lose to the Pistons because they won't play defense. Shaq's going to be too tired from all his work on offense, Payton is old, and he's a lot worse than the former DPOY he once was, Posey plays defense but won't be able to handle CB or Rip, and Jason Williams will make a lot of turnovers and won't play defense.
  6. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

what are you basing this on? the dude hasn't played a minute of NBA basketball yet. :confused:
  7. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

I'm always excited about the start of a Piston season. The only problem is that the start of the Piston season also means the start of winter - and I'd really rather that it stayed summer.

This has been a very interesting offseason, and I'm looking forward to seeing what we've got this year.

I think for me, the start of the short 98-99 season was the most anticipated. It was an agonizing wait! We had just picked up Stackhouse the winter before and I felt with Hill and Stack attacking the basket and with Dele, Vaught, and Laettner knocking down 10 foot baseline jumpers we'd be pretty good. Didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, but I was really excited about getting started that year.
  8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Look at the guy he's a beast, and it's not like he's going to play against anothers teams starters he'll play against their bench. I get you're point though... we'll find out today though.:eyebrows:
  9. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

don't get me wrong, i totally agree he looks like a beast.....but saying he commands a double team is reaching a bit :)
  10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought it was cool that this was a poll question, since I realized that I actually AM definitely the most excited about this season than any other. Last season it was hard for me to be as excited, they had just won, the American team had a crappy showing at the Olympics, it seemed that the Pistons were a little lackluster in the pre-preseason (like Sheed's "spoils" of the championship - his gut, etc.) I think the bottom line was, I was not hungry for another championship, just as the Pistons didn't seem as hungry as this year. All the optimistic stuff that the local press has been reporting on plus the interest in washing out that bad taste from my mouth has gotten me STOKED!! I was very disappointed not to see their first preseason game since I was working, but I'm way more excited about that win than I have ever been about a preseason win.

WOOHOO!! GO PISTONS!!! :rockon:
  11. Sanddunes

Sanddunes First Round Draft Pick

Larry Brown's first year
  12. bcultral

bcultral Second Round Draft Pick

Excited yes, but I still remember when the PISTONS lost to the Celtics on the last second Zeke blunder and Bird heroics. The upcoming season represented the true test...Making it over the hump tso the Finals. Well, the following year results were the beginning of Pistons Pride of Championship expectations...and here we are again with expectations truly justified by last years efforts with disappointing results. We are there again, that place where we know it is there for us to Take!
  13. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

The Season

This is the most excited I have been coming into a season in the last six years. three years ago when I saw the direction of this team I said that this year would be the year Detroit would win it all. Well in 2004 the Pistons surprised the whole world and won it. This Team is deeper than 2004 and is younger and have more experience than any other team in the East. The teams that I look at in competing with Detroit the Indiana and Miami. We have the players to match up better with tosetwo teams.

I think Indiana holds the X factor with Ron Artest, he is the Only Player that can cause the Pistons problems if he is at his best. Detroit will win it this year and they will see the spurs again for the crown.:ohwell:
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Most excited in Carlisle's first year

It had been a few years since the Pistons showed any promise. After tuning into three preseason games, I saw a whole lot of hope. At that time, I did not know how bad Carlisle was in certain areas. I was very excited and started telling everyone to pay attention because Joe Dumars was all the sudden putting a team out there that could compete. One which had all the bases covered.

People told me no way all season long when I said this team could win it all. And that they should shoot for it at least. In trying their best to win it all, they would learn what was missing for the next season.

I was told no way, the Pistons were in rebuilding mode, etc. But two years later, they won it all. Turns out I was getting excited for a reason.

The second year, I was not that excited. Yes, I knew the team was even better, but I started seeing they would have to overcome a coach who did not know what he was doing. Inexperience. And still, people told me I was nuts. No way was this team doing anything but still rebuilding.

Next year, new coach. Although I could see that Dumars was getting even closer to a championship, I did not know that much about Larry Brown. So going into the season I did not get that excited. (That is, by my standards.) Now, as the season progressed, and I saw that Brown's system was working, and working quite well, I began to get pretty darn convinced that we were going to win the championship. Looking at other teams, their strengths and weaknesses, I was pretty sure. This was before we got Sheed. As things progressed toward that Championship, I was simply trying my best to get everyone to understand that we had the best team, and no way were we going to not win it all.

Brown's 2nd year. Corliss traded. Big downer. We did not keep James. We picked up Dyess, but nobody knew for sure how good his knees would hold up to a full season. So again, the season did not see me too enthused. Mind you, I still thought we would win it all. But again, losing Corliss was quite a damper on things. And Memo. To me, the whole previous season until we got Sheed was a waste of Corliss because we kept using him so much at power forward. Now we gave him away? No, I don't understand this at all.

There were lots of positives going on. Same coach for 2nd year with same system. Individual players improving. But that bench. And no, I did not have a lot of faith in Hunter.

Now, this season. Very, very enthused. Better team than ever in my opinion. A coach who looks like just what we need. Other thatn SA, nothing in the way to another set of rings. And we should have beaten SA, if we had anything at all from our bench. Yes, I know SA got deeper, but deeper does not mean better if you were already deep enough. I don't think SA got much better. We did, dramatically.

But still, not as enthused now as in the beginning of Carlisle's first season. Now, I simply expect this genius showing from Dumars. I expect the Pistons to win it all this year. To me, its a foregone conclusion. Yes, I know we got to actually play the games. And would they start already.