Iverson speaks candidly

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by lpgrl26, Jul 8, 2009.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Iverson speaks candidly about 'most miserable' season of his career | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

The entire article is a very interesting read; confirms some things that have been discussed
  2. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Pretty much, nice that he admited that his ego got in the way.
  3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Allen is getting desperate for a job.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought this article was useless. The heading makes it sound like a huge interview, but there are only a couple of actual AI quotes. Very disappointing read for me.
  5. illadelph dynamite

illadelph dynamite First Round Draft Pick

Nothin' new, Nothin' new, y'all ain't sayin nothin' new, ;-)
  6. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

He is looking for a job and is desparate.
  7. illadelph dynamite

Are we reading the same article? Its a run through of the season with a few comments from AI. Not sure he's desperate, he hasn't said anything different to when he and the Pistons parted. Still not playing limited minutes or coming off the bench and would rather retire, so whats the news?
  8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Yep. I read it a few days ago when it came out and thought it was nothing. The reporter catches AI and manages to get a few throw away lines from him. The caption on the front page of the paper edition made it seem like some big in depth scoop of an interview. Not the case.
  9. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I am sorry. I have read a couple of articles and/or interviews from AI in the past week. He sounds desparate. Trying to justify his behavior last year.
  10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't know . . . I thought the whole article was OK, mainly the paragraph i posted i thought was interesting from the ego thing to the "were we really competing for a title? " I liked seeing the spec in writing. It's not an explosive interview like it's billed, but it tied things together nicely IMO.
  11. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

+ 5 for BDP quote.

[sign]illadelph dynamite + 5[/sign]
  12. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

sarcastic comment WILL continiue.

Woman in late 40ies is looking for man. Hurry up!
  13. illadelph dynamite

Do I lose marks if I was quoting The Roots? ;)
  14. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

[sign]illadelph dynamite -2 for quoting The Roots who were quoting BDP (more specifically Just-Ice feat. KRS-ONE in "Mo$h1tup"[/sign]

:)
  15. illadelph dynamite

Cool, thats 3 points and I can now go and check that track ;)
  16. max

max All-Star

Does it matter if it was about cap space or not? The guy was here either way.

You cannot say that he did not have a chance here. They even benched Rip so he could go back to his favorite position.

My impression was that he was done. This was that critical year in every vets life where they lose that extra step and are not as effective as they used to be. That was probably a lot of the frustration as well.
  17. Latinoking90

LOL, so I hear he's begging Memphis for a job on his condition?

I wonder what OJ Mayo has to say.
  18. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

Actually, no, he didn't have much of a chance in Detroit. When you have a locker room that has pledged their devotion and loyalty to a guy who has basically pledged his devotion and loyalty to a guy that isn't even in the state anymore, you don't have much of a chance.

Beyond the speculation of grown men (all of them) acting like children, you don't have a chance if the best team possible is not on the floor for the bulk of the minutes. Hamilton is a better SG than Stuckey is a PG, so he should've been the one on the floor with Allen.

They played better ball at the beginning of the season when they barely knew each other on the floor than they did after shoehorning Stuckey into the starting line up. The only thing that wasn't going right during that stretch was Hamilton's shooting and that would've eventually fallen into place.

I may be wrong, perhaps, we'll find out this season, but I really doubt that the plane ride to Detroit caused that much of a step down in play from Allen.

But, we'll see what happens for all of them. Who knows, Wallace may actually play in the paint in Boston.
  19. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

Re-read the article. It implies that Memphis is the one making the conditions, not Allen. The only thing Allen has requested from any team that would be interested in him is that he be given the chance to compete for the starting job in training camp.

If people believe that both or all the players at the guard positions in Memphis are better than Allen, then there is nothing I can say to dispute that. You believe what you want to believe, but the articles relating to Memphis don't have Allen begging or declaring conditions. Just interest on his part.

Personally, I don't find it that strange that he is intrigued by playing with a 20-10 big man still in his prime and willing to still play in the paint and finally with a SG in the backcourt that can and is willing to take shots.

Eric Snow couldn't and didn't. Dikembe was limited offensively. Nene and Kenyon were injured or coming off injury. Chris Webber only had one good leg and much like Rasheed, preferred outside jumpers versus the blocks.

Playing in the Western Conference? Well...you can't have it all. But, Memphis was one of the four or five teams that I wanted to see him play for, so if it works out, then I'll be happy. Happier if they change their colors to something with red and their logo, but still happy enough, if they don't.
  20. Latinoking90

But overall he's still very adamant that whoever he signs with, he has to start for them as well.