Iverson Trade Scenarios

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Dec 9, 2006.

1. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Just thought it might be fun trying to work out where AI might end up after his trade request.

I'm using the help of RealGM to come up with this.

Trade ID: 3481320

This one is an 11 player deal involving Memphis, Minnesota and Philly, so probably too long to list in this post. Check it out on
    RealGM: At the Crossroads of Business and Sports.

Note: Memphis throws in a 1st rounder to Philly as well.

2. detteam

detteam All-Star

3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Whoa, that's quite a deal...though I think you can forget about it ever happening. It would be a horrible deal for Memphis. And somehow I don't see Iverson and Damon Stoudamire both ending up in Minny as part of the same trade!
  4. webz

Why is it horrible for memphis? Eddie Jones is done. Stoudamire is done. Tsakalidis is rubbish. And they get a legit PG in James and a swingman in Davis.

Thats a starting 5 of James, Davis, Miller, Gasol and one of Warrick or Swift. With a bench of Gay, Atkins, and Jaric. Thats a playoff team. They only way Memphis want to keep Jones is for his huge expiring contract.

Also there needs to be a lot of players involved for Minnesota to have a chance because they only have a lot of small pieces to work with, and when you're trying to match up to a contact of AI's size - thats a lot of small pieces!
  5. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Actually I didn't know that about Eddie Jones' contract; that does enter into things as a big factor. And Memphis is of course struggling terribly and might be looking to shake things up. Still, I don't know...Mike James and Ricky Davis in the same line-up? Get ready for some serious chucking, even before Pau or Mike Miller ever see the ball.
  6. webz

I didn't say it was an awesome team, but definitely an upgrade from before that 'hypothetical' trade. they get more size in the backcourt without losing the ability to hit the outside shot. teams won't be able to collapse on pau anymore and i could see an inside/outside game working properly with that squad. they get better defensively too and would be one of the quicker teams in the nba in this new suns style theology.

again, the only way i see memphis not doing that deal is if they wanted to hang onto tsaka and jones' expirings and hand picking their own free agents in the summer whilst getting a top 10 '07 draft pick.
  7. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I feel that if AI gets traded, it will involves at least 3 teams.....
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

webz, that's a great trade. It will leave Minny with a small backcourt and it looks like Memphis is in the Greg Oden sweepstakes so.....
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

10. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I assume the Sixers would prefer to ship AI out to the Western Conference. I can't see them doing a deal with Boston--that wouldn't even get him out of Philly's division!
  11. webz

Boston doesn't really have any tradeable assets other than Ratliff to help match salaries which will make it difficult for them. Likewise Chicago (only PJ Brown).

Dallas however, does.

Here is a hypothetical Iverson to Mavs scenario:

Philadelphia

A.Iverson
    K.Ollie
    R.Carney

For:

Dallas
    J.Stackhouse
    A.Croshere
    D.Harris

1st R draft pick

Stackhouse and Croshere both have the necessary hefty expiring contracts and Harris is the guy Philly wants. Ollie and Carney are basically throw-ins. Carney has some upside though.

Dallas would be giving up a lot and would thin their deep bench considerably which is one of their strengths, but this is AI we're talking about.
    Lineups would look like:

Philly: Harris, Green, Iguodala, Webber, Dalembert
    Bench: Stackhouse, Korver, Croshere, Hunter

Dallas: Iverson, Terry, Howard, Nowitzki, Dampier
    Bench: Buckner, Johnson, George, Diop, Carney

That my friends, is one scary looking Mavs team.
  12. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Except the Dallas' bench would suck. Diop is so, so, Carney is a nobody, George is inconsistent. Their starting five however would be nothing but the truth, have mercy. I think with this trade Philly may have the better bench
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I am putting my money on Charlotte. Gwall, Brevin and some picks. Everyone else has to cough up crap to make the salaries balance out. I wouldn't take on too much baggage in dealing AI.

Dallas would be my runner up. The next best thing to no baggage is baggage thats coming off the books.
  14. barbara SanAntone

barbara SanAntone First Round Draft Pick

I would love to see Charlotte get AI, that team needs a piece, they are not a bad team, just need to be tweaked a little (a lot?). My kid Adam needs a big brother:)

Cuban is probably the only one that can afford AI, but he has already said he will NOT give up D. Harris, no way.
  15. barbara SanAntone

barbara SanAntone First Round Draft Pick

Another thought on AI. Heard it mentioned that MSG could really get a ticket boost with AI, and Zeke could probably really work with him. Get rid of Marbury.

From what you guys post, I think Pistons would be a great place for AI. He has heart and really wants a ring. I think he could get his ring with Pistons THIS YEAR:)

I dont think he wants to go to a team that has no chance for ring now. He is in a hurry, he waited long enough for Sixers to come through, so he will want to go with team that can give him support.

Of course, I dont know the ins and outs of money, contracts, etc. but I hope he can go with a team that fits his life.
  16. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Mysterious DNPs from Cassell and Maggette tonight...how do the numbers fall with that potential trade?
  17. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hmm... interesting. Maggette has asked for a trade and his agent has talked to the 76ers.

RealGM: Wiretap Archives: Maggette's Agent Requests Trade

Looks like your trade idea works as well. They would just have to wait until Friday to make it official, because Cassell signed a contract this offseason and isn't eligible to be traded until the 15th.

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's very close. Iverson is just over $18 million, and Cassell+Maggette is $14 million.

No way I do this trade without Livingston.

Maggette, Livingston, Korolev (promising and expiring) and Zelly (expiring).
  19. max

max All-Star

Maggette has a brused leg or something that he got this week and Cassell is often injured so it could be as simple as that.

However, that may be a decent scenerio for the Sixers. They are not in a very strong position right now.

Question is do they have the same patience that Bird and Walsh had last year with Artest.
  20. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Any injuries that prop up at this point in the week could just be fabricated. Remember, Iverson was initially reported as having an injury. And like Jammer said, they only have to be patient for another day, right?