1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Iverson will do 'whatever it takes'

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

OK, I actually read the article which I should I have done instead of taking the snippet I needed.

Now it is debatable what was for the benefit of the team. Did they have a game plan prepared etc? It probably wasn't that difficult to change it to accommodate AI starting. This thing is called round 3. Here are rounds 1 & 2.

Does this show a history of AI not communicating properly with his team? All this stuff happened within 3 months of one another. Again I see some similarities to what has happened here.

Interesting aside: At the bottom of the article is this.

USATODAY.com - Iverson 'insulted' by decision to have him come off bench

2. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Iverson is just now a rental player for the next month or so and I can see his point of view that he's got a career ahead of him that does not include Detroit. However he's making the big bucks so he needs to be the good soldier and help the team anyway he can or else he'll start getting the Starbury rep.

I just want Detroit to end up with a seed that they play Orlando the first round and if the Magic are the real thing they have to get past Detroit and that's a tall order if you ask me.

It's hard to believe the regular season is almost over and what will I do with all my free time once the Pistons aren't playing anymore.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't know why I ever doubted him. Seems very logical now that I hear him out.

It's true. No other good players in NBA history have ever sacrificed for the good of their team or done something difficult at the coach's request. AI is the only player in history who has been insulted this severely... not once, but twice. They're all out to get him. blah blah blah.

:bored:

4. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

So the fact that he was insulted means that he's faking it?

5. illadelph dynamite

illadelph dynamite First Round Draft Pick

Out of context, but you know that, right?

6. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Is it possible that:
    1) he had a real back injury, the nature of which was difficult to pin down and which therefore took longer to treat

AND

2) he was benched, felt shocked and even took offense at the benching (i'm not saying it's inconceivable, but I think it would be the extremely rare HOF caliber NOT feeling shocked and offended at the announcement that he's coming off the bench; in other words, just to reach that level must take a certain level of confidence, bordering on certainty, in one's abilities and therefore a belief that what is good for oneself must be good for the team)

AND SO

3) used the back injury hiatus as a way to step away from the media spotlight on the situation (and by situation I mean the WHOLE situation, the trade, the Pistons sucking, the musical chairs rotations all year) in order to avoid pouring fuel on a fire in a way that might only hurt the team and his own future prospects.

I know this leaves several things unexplained. But I'm trying to figure out how any of number possible facts and beliefs that have been aired in this debate might all fit together.
    just a stab...

??

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Maybe AI was just really high and forgot he was on a team for a while?

8. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I won't bother to write one of my festive AI fan posts with all the smilies, because I know it'd all be for naught. Given that AI is with us for such a short time longer, it's amazing that he still generates this much buzz and this topic is the gift/burden that just keeps giving.

Really, I can't wait to see my guy outta here. Then you guys will have to go back to fighting about....who? Sheed maybe. Seems like with the expiring contract and all that he might be up for some raking over the coals.

All in all, I'm disappointed in the constant focus on this. As bad as McCloskey. Was he or wasn't he injured? Will he or won't he give a good effort? You don't really think AI giving his all is going to save this team? If we get a good first round matchup, we might make it through. If we don't, we're toast.

That's it. AI or no AI. I'm looking forward to the slew of posts of how good it is to have him gone, and how he was responsible for this team's poor morale and performance, and then back to normal. Something about the draft perhaps. I remember all this with Ben. It's a cycle with a beginning, middle and end. The end of this one won't be until AI is on another team obviously. Well, if we ever get another superstar we'll see if we can't treat him better.

When was that quote given? It sounds like it was about Philly in which case it is SO SO SO yesterday's newspaper. And if it was Philly, then that's quoting out of context, blatant.

Oh and TaS, for the record I like AI's rant. It's his point of view and he put it out there. Not very politically correct, given his supposedly sophisticated way of working the media, according to McCloskey. Selfish? Whatever? That's just more name calling.

9. illadelph dynamite

illadelph dynamite First Round Draft Pick

Yes, this is what I was saying earlier but you explained it better.

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

This game could be BRUTAL for the League Passers if we get the CLE broadcast. I think I'd prefer Tommy Heinsohn.

I would watch the Cavs play if it weren't for these guys. Every basket they score or play they make goes like this.

Fred McCloud: Ohhhhhh God, Delonte West with a lay-up. Woooooo, his man fell down and he scored. DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?

Other Guy: THE D TRAIN WITH A LAY-UP! HIS MAN FELL DOWN AND D-13 HIT A LAY-UP! A LAY-UP!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT, HE HAD TO BE A FOOT AND A HALF FROM THE BASKET. THERE IS A GOD!!!!!!!!!

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Prof, that's about the way I see it... except you didn't weigh it down with sarcasm and flippant remarks.

I just want to get my money's worth this year, that's all. I paid $139 for LP and want to see an all-time great to see if he can be a net positive off our bench. He's only 41 points in the hole this year and I still believe that he can break even if he has Amir as a wingman to clean up his misses.

12. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

You got League Pass to watch Allen Iverson? And you won't get your $139 worth unless Allen Iverson comes through with enough points for the season? Man, that's alot of pressure on the guy. I don't know if he can handle it.

"All this trouble man, this trade and an injury I ain't never had in my career and then getting benched is an insult! Why Allen Iverson? And now I got to get 41 points for that forum guy TaShawn or he's gonna keep writing my Pistons obituary and ruin Allen Iverson's name in the place all the true Piston lovers go...Pistonsforum.com. Why Allen Iverson? Why?"

13. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

one thng to compare his comments from his team FIVE years ago and todays team..... there was nobody else on that team worth beans.... I think AI in a walking cast would have been one of there best 5 players and given them a better chance to win, thats not the case here. Can't compare AI of 5 years ago with what he's done here... Rip made comments about not wanting to come off the bench (hell that thread went on for awhile) and AI has made comments but both have gone to the bench when told to by the coach.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sheed got benched for disciplinary reasons and he didn't %%%%% about it.

I actually didn't get LP for AI, it was just sort of an added bonus.

In all seriousness, I like the guy. I just don't think he's above questioning b/c he scored a few baskets in prior years. I want to see AI embrace his role, do well, and help us win.

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ginobli must be a real thorn in AI's side because he's an all star and Olympian who comes off the bench.

I think it was in this thread that I brought up a Bad Boys of the NBA article I keep on my desk with quotes from AI, Sheed and specifically Derrick Coleman urinating in the middle of the restaurant.

I wanted to be sure AI won the bronze at the Olympics and came across this. They might want to keep an eye on Sheed if these things run in 3's.........(AI fans, please do not think I am an AI hater and have some ax to grind against him. I find this stuff mostly amusing. He is like a gift that keeps on giving.) Cloud, below should definitely swing you over to my side of the argument.

Allen Iverson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Bingo.

He made than one comment and then shut-up. Hopefully, AI does the same. He looks to be embracing the role and i'm excited to see if it adds a new dimension to the team.

17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That's freaking hilarious...good find Ernie. Cloud ain't on board with urinating in public.

18. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Family problems. New born and a wife needing attention that might not be use to having a continuance of attention and once out...needs more.

19. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Herrmann and Ginobli are talented Brothers. I have a slight directional question in asking, "what side on you on?" Could be those Brothers do not like North Americans (excluding Canadians, who know better).

20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer