1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Iverson will do 'whatever it takes'

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Stuck & Tay have been identified as pro-Iverson and frozen out of the offense. Sheed's not really hurt. He's calling the plays now and will be back when everyone is comfortable.

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

:p_welldone: :whoo: :whoo: :whoo:

3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not a particularly reliable source - just a kid looking to get on the radio. But, it's hard to imagine given the way things have played out that AI would want to stay here, or be happy with the situation. The only real question is whether he plays out the contract as a professional should. Given that how he finishes this season will have a direct impact on the value of the next contract, I'm assuming if he has a chance he'll play hard in whatever role he ends up with.

4. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Not at all. This is conjecture on your part and the interview with Williams adds to the rumor mill. You should know better.

AI will be back and off the bench. He will get his minutes which is all he wants. JD has allowed this to happen and he can fix it in any direction he chooses. Time for him to man-up.

5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Sheed has been out since the Orlando game and I haven't seen him at the games no matter if they're home or away. There have been quotes in the paper from him talking about his status though.

AI has been AWOL. There has been no sign of him outside of a prepared statement from the Piston PR dept.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I like AI as much as the next guy, but there are no sacred cows, just a running of the bulls.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The silence is a little strange. Did he break his back or something?

Why no stories about Arnie Kander helping him out with his witch's brew.

Will Bynum is loving this.

8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Which is the key here; want the rumors to stop. Say something.

9. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

I doubt he cares...I wouldn't...As long as the coaches and the teammates know

10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't peg him as the type that would care either, but it's still strange that we haven't got one quote out of him about anything. If he's at the practice facility w/ the team, you'd think they'd get a random quote.

11. Jewelz0376

Yea its pretty much like his disappeared...I haven't heard anything about when he's supposed to return...

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Allen Iverson 'doesn't want to be the story' | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press+

So, which is it? Is he absent by design because he "doesn't want to be the story"? Or is he absent because the doctors "don't want him sitting out there that long"?

The multiple reasons seem suspicious.

13. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Sitting can really aggravate a back injury...it doesn't make any sense for a player with a back injury to sit on the sidelines.

Even if you are playing through it...remember Rick Mahorn laying on his stomach during the playoffs when he was fighting his back problems?

14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hmmm...

Suspicious? Or more of MC's utter inability to communicate?

15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I agree.

If I were Arnie, I would recommend that AI rehab in a warmer climate (Atlanta perhaps) and keep his back lubricated with large doses of alcohol. I read in a medical journal that the loud bass vibration often associated with hip hop music (preferably administered from a large sound system at a club) is quite therapeutic.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Right, so why the bonus excuse of "it is by design, AI is such a good guy that he doesn't want to be the story, he wants all the focus to be on the team"?

Isn't "Doctor's orders" all we need to know?

Does AI avoid sitting all day, alternating between traction and clubbing?

17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Sitting on the "bench" means you are kind of stuck in one spot for a while. Belive me...that is a recipe for a stiff back. Much different than sitting somewhere that you can get up and roam around.

He could be milking it..or doesn't care (as Jewel says) but I give him more credit than that. It's foolish to be taking games off and then aggravate your back just for show.

It's easy to take shots at someone who is hurt.

18. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Sometimes you don't even have to be hurt around here to get shots taken at you. :stirthepot:

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I must not be making myself clear.

My question is this, why the extra excuse from Curry that this is by design and AI has been absent in order to not steal the spotlight?

We have 2 distinctly different reasons for his absence. #1 is medical. #2 is that he's such a team player that he can't possibly be with the team.

If #1 is true, then I think AI won't be playing any time soon. You don't go from not being able to sit in a cusioned chair for 2.5 hours to playing effective bball in the NBA overnight.

If #2 is true, then maybe there is some hope that he'll be back soon.

What did the Georgetown tests show? Is it broken?

I wasn't curious for the first few weeks, but now I'm starting to wonder. The lack of information is strange. The Detroit tests show that there is nothing seriously wrong with his back. I understand that there are many back injuries that won't show up on medical scans and if he says it hurts then it hurts. But he takes the additional step and goes to his own doctors (ala Delfino). So, what did they say? Will there be surgery involved?

It's like there is no curiosity at all on the medical condition of our highest paid player and only hope for the Championship.

20. Jewelz0376

Maybe the medical reason was to explain why he isn't on the bench and the other reason is to explain why he hasnt released any quotes in the papers or been available to the media.

As far as what you said about the back injury, just becasue he isn't out there doesn't mean he's a long ways from coming back. My junior year in college I hurt my back in the middle of the year and I was out a couple weeks and I didn't travel with the team when was out and even when I could play again I never actually sat on the bench for while after I was back playing. I would just lay by the bench kind of like what Nash does. Anytime I would sit my back would get stiff. So I would imagine AI could still be a few days away from returning.

OH BTW WE ARE GOING TO SHOCK THE WORLD FRIDAY AGAINST XAVIER...GO PSU!!!!