Iverson will do 'whatever it takes'

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, Mar 5, 2009.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

OK...but either way he did get hurt.

Let's look at a somewhat similar situation in Chicago. Luol Deng goes down with a stress fracture in his tibia. He is getting heavily criticized for being "soft" and babying his injury.

Check out this article form the the Chicago Tribune:

Chicago Bulls' Luol Deng was indeed injured -- chicagotribune.com

So Deng can jeapordize his career ( a la Grant Hill) or he can be smart and rest and ignore the criticism.

I think there are similarities to the Iverson injury here. We don't know what's going on so we speculate. And an athlete who wisely sits out an injury is always criticized and the ones that are tough like Grant Hill get praised.

Sometimes it's better to be smart than tough.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't doubt that. But I think there might be more to the story.

Some of it may be AI's pride. Some of it might be smart business to sit out in a contract year.

Some of it might be the Pistons sending him away.

Or he could just be hurt.

Whatever it is, neither side is owning up to it and both seem to want to avoid commenting on it at all.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Totally cool with him doing things that he likes as long as he's not skipping practices or games to do so and isn't letting it affect his performance or rehab schedule.

What if instead of sitting on our bench and risking further injury, he just sort of stood near the bench and danced? Or if he was in the way, he could go over and join the automation. That way he'd still be there, but wouldn't be subjected to the grueling 2.5 hours of sitting.

[​IMG]

And #31 was the killer? Has this guy ever chosen not to play through an injury?

By the way, sorry for riling you up if you are a fan. If I had to bet money on it, I would bet that he is indeed injured.
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

One of the biggest issues for this year's Pistons (aside from coaching) is chemistry. IMO, I think that AI can make a pretty big contribution by being there for his teamates right now. Whether it's on the bench, in the lockerroom or simply standing on the sidelines; He's a PISTON and he needs to support his team and they need to support him.

I feel strongly about this subject. I invest my time (and money) in this team and I strongly feel that their isn't any one player that's bigger than the whole picture. My opinion on this matter has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that Allen Iverson is the injured player in question. I'd feel the exact same way if it was Walter Sharpe.

Any player earning a salary from a team owes it to that team to do EVERYTHING he can to make a contribution toward its' success. There is PLENTY of time to "conduct life as you see fit" in the off-season.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

These are great points. Wouldn't it show a great commitment to the team if AI stepped into the pre-game circle for an injured Sheed and got in some rehab work and motivated the team as well with some dancing? Who wouldn't enjoy that?

Granted, this would mean that AI felt that he was on equal footing with his teammates and that he was supposed to be there for them as he expects them to be there for him.

I say he was hurt in some capacity but feels it is beneath him to come off the bench under any circumstances. Despite the street image AI is a very polished individual who knows what to say and when to say it. There are just too many coincidences.
  6. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I think you right, rosk, there is more going on. However, curry should just keep quiet. His comments make the situation worse. He just doesnt know how to talk.
  7. roscoe36

Yeah, I guess a better way to phrase it is, if AI is intentionally not there, the Pistons are complicit in it. Normally a player who avoids participating gets fined.

IF IF IF IF IF IF

AI is out less due to injury and more due to wounded pride or some other relationship issue with the franchise or his teammates, then the Pistons seem to be saying, "that's fine, just don't make any noise about us and we won't make any noise about you"

This is all very disappointing for me, because injured players normally have injury reports. So far, we have no info on what he can and cannot do, what the prognosis is, etc. They haven't put ANY timetable on it, when timetables are usually available (even if they are unrealistic or don't hold) for other players with bad backs like T-Mac.

I really want AI to play, and I really want the Pistons to win. I will take only the latter, but I have a hard time believing that the latter is capable without the former.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If you had to bet even money on it, would you bet that Iverson will ever play another game for the Pistons or that he is done?
  9. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Tough call. I really don't know. It depends on all those IFS that Roscoe laid out for us. More importantly, I'd like to know who makes that call. The Pistons or AI?
  10. roscoe36

I don't bet, and I don't bet on my team because I can't make objective decisions.

Trying to be as objective as possible, I don't think AI plays another game as a Piston. I simply do not have any information or indication that the Pistons or AI plan to reunite. I know the absence of proof is not proof, but your question doesn't offer abstention from the bet.
  11. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

OMG, that would be AWESOME!:love: LMAO!
  12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I completely understand where you're coming from. It's such an odd situation and what's going on behind the scenes is IMO alot more than what we're being told evidenced by the fact that the press and others who have commented 1/ can't lie properly or 2/ are talking in circles. It like now you see AI, now you don't.

If he's not with the team, where is he? And why does he come in to get treatment only after the games.

I'm not speculating on how much of this is AI or how much of it the Pistons, but last time i checked he hasn't injured his mouth, and the organization is going out of it's way to make excuses so it sounds like a little bit of both.

Something is going on. There is just a bad vibe around this thing.

Meanwhile, you've got Sheed injured giving interviews about his thoughts on the economy, getting a 9-5 job, pizza etc.

edited to add; in terms of the ATL thing wasn't the main problem not that he was at a club partying, but that there was something in the press saying he couldn't be with the team b/c he couldn't fly b/c of his back ? I don't think he was there, but IIRC that was the problem ppl were having not that he likes to party.
  13. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sounds right to me. I'm finding it hard to believe that AI would just disappear without some encouragement. If the next contract and its value matter to him at all, then there is no way he's happy either not playing or looking like someone who is screwing his team. First, I have a hard time believing he's the kind of player who just walks away - you don't get done what he's gotten done without a lot of pride. Second, every second he lets the rest of the league think he might do this to them, dollars just run down the drain. If he's purely mercenary, then staying out makes no sense because he's only hurting his next gig.

Which leaves the option that he can't play because of the back and the Pistons are hanging him out to dry by not releasing any information. Regardless of exactly what, something stinks in all this. And if AI walks away with a big old black eye, so will the Pistons organization. Add the inability to get better by adding a player of AI's stature to their inability to put a coach in place who can hang around, and questions about the ownership, and this team isn't going to look very attractive to possible free agent signings either.

The organization needs to either play him, or explain his injury and why he isn't playing, or buy him out and release him. Silence isn't getting it done.
  14. BallDon'tLie

Based on history, I gotta believe that AI is hurt. I'm making this assumption based on what I know about him:
    - He's a warrior.
    - He's one of the toughest players in the association.
    - He's said that he'll do whatever is asked of him.

All of the "IFs" floating around out there mean absolutely nothing to me until they're confirmed. Maybe it's blind faith on my part but I gotta go with what I know, not what I think.

IF Allen Iverson is not actually hurt and IF the team is in on it, I'll be VERY disappointed.

I'll be disappointed with Joe for letting it go down like that. (If this is true, Joe is a weak-ass manager.)

I'll be disappointed with Allen Iverson for pawning his injured pride off on us as an injured back. (If this is true, AI is a coward and doesn't deserve his HOF status.)
  15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't think many question the validity of his injury, just the fact that it's not solely the injury that is preventing him from playing whether it be his ego about the bench thing, or the Pistons trying to "get rid of him".
  16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Well...remember when Rip was hurt and he was getting all the criticism and abuse too.

Even if the team wants him to sit...they can't do it without his consent. So..bottom line is that AI is a malingerer if there is something going on behind the scenes. Otherwise he would be telling everyone he is OK to play.
  17. BallDon'tLie

Lemme preface this by saying that I'm a pretty cynical/skeptical guy.

But even I can get my mind around he idea that the Pistons wouldn't want 15-20 ppg every night coming off of the bench from AI.

NO WAY is Chuck's hiatus initiated by Joe or the Pistons.
  18. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

BINGO :thumb:
  19. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

From the way everything has gone it almost looks like he wont ever play another game, but AI is not stupid and neither is his agent...They both know that if AI didn't play another game for the rest of the season, he can forget about getting any kind of contract above the mle next season, and most likely forget about any title contenders wanting to sign him...
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Not necessarily. If he explains that it was his back and then demonstrates over the summer that it is healed, he'll still get a team to pay him. Even if that team thinks he was disgruntled in Detroit, they will think to themselves, "that's because Detroit benched him and we won't do that here." He's a big draw and teams are worried about revenues.

By the way, maybe Curry should have waited for AI to heal and come back for a game before benching him.